New Processor for old Computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NobleDragon, Jul 14, 2006.

1. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

2. Darg

Darg Member

P4 all the way. Celeron is piss slow in comparison. Don't even go for a Pentium D. P4s beat them in almost every application unless they are specifically designed for dual core 64bit technology.

Go for the P4 and if you need a new MB then make sure to get a PCI-Express 16X slot on it and preferably 4 PCI expansion slots for later.

Getting faster processor won't cost that much more either and will be definitely worth the extra. You also want one with a fast FSP speed as that can be a serious bottleneck if you have fast memory and a good gfx card.

If you have the extra 50 bucks then this would definitely be a lot faster. Almost twice the FSB speed and 4 times the L2 Cache.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116016

3. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

A 2.4 GHz AMD processor will run circles around a 3.2 GHz Intel processor in gaming. Go for AMD.

4. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

That's true, but I think he doesn't want the hassle of buying a new motherboard. So let's just keep the discussion on the two proposed proc's shall we?

Between those two, the Pentium4 is the obvious pick if you'll be playing games.

Also, I noticed you wanted to buy OEM proc's. That's OK and can save you a few bucks, but do you have all the proper cooling devices and necessities? A retail package saves you some work.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

OEM is usually good for software, can save you upwards to $50 on an OS. I agree in your thinking that Celeron was for laptops, I see mostly desktops with P4. And Fox, AMD might be good, my friend has one, but since the processor interprets data diffrently, the things that affect him, or his problems, can be totally diffrent from mine. Trust me. He has problems I've never had, and he isn't a complete noob at computers, and basically has the same amount of useage and does the same stuff as me.

6. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

Ok guys, should have posted this if the first post but meh. Max supported speed for the mobo is 2.8Ghrz, mobo uses an Intel chipset (heard bad things happen when you use an AMD proc with and Intel chipset) and thats the only Pentium 4 that newegg had with those specs. And i can buy some fans and heatsinks easily from newegg.

7. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Avoid Celerons at all cost! I have one and I can't play some of my favorite games because of it... (My Althon XP Burned up)

-Sheepe

8. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I've certainly had my share of Intel/AMD cross-compatible motherboards, but if you don't want to take the risk, it's up to you.

9. Darg

Darg Member

Just make sure your motherboard has the right socket connection for the P4 processor. All new P4s are in LGA775. If you're still running with a MB with Socket 478 then you really have to consider saving up for a bit longer and spending 70 or 80 on a new MB or else your new processor is going to be out of date quite soon.

10. Ganks

Ganks Banned

Totally. Theyre easier to OC too. I wont touch my Intel.

Dont OC a CPU unless you have cooling and/or proper fans ppl. Get one of those tools that monitor your temps if your pc supports temp. my pc gets hot enough just from having 2 HDs

11. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I always used AMD, never got disappointed, but really, I've heard tons, tons of cases where all the P4 ends up being is an unstable kitten. Personally I don't know Celerons, but I think your picks are both not really good.

12. pixelized

pixelized Member

Or just take off your case covers.

13. Darg

Darg Member

You'd get a lot of dust into it that way. Or flys/cat hair. Always wear protection!

14. pixelized

pixelized Member

It seems to get a lot less dust in it compared to with covers on. I think it's because the air doesn't settle.

15. Darg

Darg Member

Interesting.. Though I have a cat that would just love to get at the insides of my computer. Not a good idea for pet people ;)

16. Slithzerikai

My computer is currently opened since I tamper with it every 5 steps.

17. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Arent pets fun.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  18. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

LAWL. Holy crap, that's cute/funny....

19. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Go AMD, when conroe launches their dual core chips will get upto a 50% price drop.

A AMD Athlon 64 bit X2 (Dual core) 2.0Ghz 3800+ will be a mere $168

I have a job so I'm building a new rig myself and seince went it comes to gaming AMD has some advantages over pentium I'm making the switch.

20. Slithzerikai

AMD doesn't have an advantage over Pentium, AMD eats Pentium, spits them out and uses them as toiletpaper.