New features without balancing old ones?

Discussion in 'General' started by PreDominance, Aug 17, 2010.

1. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

It's obvious things have never been nicely balanced. There were times of greater balance, but nothing quite right. The scout is undecided, the engineer remains the universal all-in-one class, the riflemen kills anything that moves under the guise of a fleshy mortal skin, and the gren is..reaching the point of being needed on a team (or has reached that point already).

I have 3 main issues;
    1- Wages
    2- CV Heat
    3- E-build

These 3 are gameplay-changing changes that throw other things off-balance.
    When you add a new feature into a game, the idear is to get it into the game as smoothly and as nicely as possible, so it fits right in (shut up UK), and is immediately balanced or able to be balanced within the next patch.

Just curious..shouldn't we be focusing on how best to balance a: research b: infantry, c: tanks before we focus on gameplay features?

2. Mashav

Mashav Member

I can only speak to this, but its not supposed to be a large feature.

I'm only working on small balance tweaks. I see something I deem a problem, and try to fix it. Comms running at the end of a match was the problem and I attempted to solve it with heat. Its supposed to be barely noticeable to players who aren't the comm, except when the comm is being chased for long periods of time by several tanks. It was mentioned briefly during the test, but the circumstances surrounding it didn't point to the changes as being the source of the problems.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Seriously man, what the fuck? It happens 1 in every 10 games, and happens purely due to the super CV health. Why on earth is it a problem?

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

because 1 in 10 games where people have to wait more then 5 minutes to play

what if the game froze for more then 5 minutes at the end of every 1 in 10th game? like froze and chat was still working but all the rest got stuck? would that not be a bug worth fixing?

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

For me it's not a balance thing. I don't see how the new features will make this game better.

1- Wages:
    Do not want.
    As I already wrote: Personal wages only increase selfish point-whoring and reduce teamplay.

2- CV Heat:
    I also see no problem in CV chases at the end of the round.

3- E-build:
    Do not want.
    Instead of making all classes more equal the focus should be more set on the strengths of the classes.
    Engineer strength is building and repairing. To have fewer engineers on the field make him weaker at infantry battles.
    I also agree with Tricksters comment to this:

Why the devs don't concentrate on features which promotes teamplay instead of changing the major game mechanism?
    For example driving in the hatch should be promoted, because this is one of the most direct kind of teamplay (fix the rotation, ducking accuracy in hatch beside APC, first weapon ammo refill in every hatch, armor detection for the driver if hatch passenger has it ...)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

No, it's a waste of time to balance the game and add features if you'll just have to balance everything again. Better to add a bunch of features and then go back and balance them.

DISCLAIMER: I know aircraft aren't going to happen.
    Nobody should have wasted any time balancing this game until the aircraft were added since the game balance would have been destroyed as soon as they were added, as an example.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

people began balancing the game for aircraft?

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I like the sound of all three by the way, wages are good because you just give points and money only for helpful things like capping refs and reviving people and repairing tanks and killing enemies.

E build sounds fine, no reason to have engineers being the only ones able to build.

CV heat sounds fine, comms shouldn't be driving around all over the place.

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

Comm running isn't a bug, it was due to the scout speed bug. Now you can't do it, thus doesn't need fixing.

10. Trickster

In 2.24d we had the scout speed bug.
    In 2.25, we have the super CV HP.

It was never an issue before those.

11. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I'd rather the scout CV come back with reduced health.

12. Mashav

Mashav Member

Its not a large problem, but its still a problem that has always been around. The change is not supposed to be large solution either. You(and opie) have only provided 2 ingame examples of how it ruins the game, and those examples don't make sense with how it is supposed to work.
    If its not working how its supposed to, then it will attempt to be fixed, or removed if that's not possible.
    If it is working how its supposed to, then your examples don't apply and you're basing your entire argument on how you think it works, rather then how it does.

Its not supposed to be a massive game changing fix. If you can provide me with with real evidence that, besides when its supposed to work, IT is having a significant effect on game play I'll attempt to fix it. If it still causes significant problems after the fix, ill remove it.
    The cv armour bug dosen't help with testing it either...
    Fun fact: Reduced hp and increased speed were actually origonally included with the heat changes.

13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I'd rather not overheat to the point of two shots murdering my heat.

I'd rather remove heat alltogether, but that's a different thing.

14. Deiform

Deiform Member

FFS, it is so annoying when devs don't play the game and try to convince us of these ridiculous changes. Driving around in a CV at 80% heat means that you cannot move when rushed, you don't even need a scout with stun sticky, and that's half of the fucking point in the scout.

There is no problem. Stop trying to fucking fix it. Put the cv armour back to where it was 2.24 and everything is dandy.

15. Trickster

Deif would be correct.

16. Nitrax

Nitrax Member

/Seconded

And I'm not that sold on wages either, but I'll give them time to see if it will work.

17. Mashav

Mashav Member

Unless those 2 shots are plasma or HIT's, you don't really need to worry

I do play...

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, All I'm saying is show me that it ruins the game rather than making speculative claims that it will.

You do realise that it still takes time to get to that 80, and once you're there you have better cooling than the 2.25 cv right?

I disagree. Its a small problem, and this is intended to be a small solution. Show me that its not a small solution and I'll change it.

Sufficed to say, I can't.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

lets just keep it in for now, untill armor bug is resolved?

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

How about we make no major changes until the current things are sorted?

20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I don't agree with mashav's change, but don't trash talk him by saying he doesn't play enough. He plays all the time and he's better than everyone here bitching about him.