New feature to get CV out of water

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Solokiller, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

With nine mine being removed, the only way to get a CV out of the water or flipped back in its wheels is gone.
    So what i would like to see is a function that can be used every 5 minutes or so, which uprights the CV and gives it the ability to float for a very short amount of time, enough to get it out of the water, but not enough to exploit it. Both features would be activated seperately (but with one button), and have their timers made seperate, otherwise one feature might not activate when it should.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Nice idea but it would be a bit fiddly.

I think it would be better if the CV simply floated for a certain amount of time, once it's in the water you get a timer on your hud, after that happens, you would float until it runs out.

You can't use it for long term transport but it lets you get out of water easily and quickly. I'd have auto-righting be constant and automatic, I can't see a reason for it not being so.

I think this would fulfil the goals and abide by the restrictions you want but be easier to use.

You might consider, however, making it so that the CV always floats, and have the timer be how long you can use the engine, once it runs out the engine runs really slowly, it would mean you could theoretically drive the comm over any amount of water, but it would also make it impossible to defend by tanks, walls, buildings etc, and probably make it easier to attack by infantry (because it can't run away) so parking it offshore on isle isn't a good idea, but not being able to sink it would make it easier to use.

I really don't like the idea of the CV being destroyed by an environmental hazard, I can defer to the devs if they don't want anything at all amphibious in the game, but I think having the CV with a limited amphibious capacity would be an improvement.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I'd say that's perfect, but Mootant seems to ignore what everybody else thinks.

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Allow CVs to be rebuilt.

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Don't drive CV into water?

6. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

yeah, it's kind of hard not to when a griefer hops in and drives off

what about a timer? if the comm leaves his vehicle, start a 1 minuite timer. anyone except for that comm can't enter the cv.

or even better, if someone tries to enter, give the com a menu: "allow *name* in the cv?"

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

CV takes no damage from being upside down or in water?

you'd still be punished for having it in water because it would be imobile.

or just keep 9mining.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

True, but you can still theoretically command the game while doing so.

Personally I like the idea of amphibiousness incorporated into more empires stuff, possibly as a side effect of watching some CNC 3 beta videos, but that's another topic.

9. Empty

Empty Member

Amphibious AFVS!

But seriously, Chris's idea is okay but needs refinement, since the comm could just rush off to a hiding spot somewhere.

But an amalgamation of solokiller and chris's ideas could work, you get the CV wet and it can drive for 10 seconds, after that, it's dead in the water. After 5 minutes you can drive it for 20 seconds, you have to wait 5 minutes for the next 20 seconds.

In other words, you can only get a decently long amount of time if you've been stuck for five minutes, and ten seconds won't get you anywhere.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Functionally you could achieve the same thing by making the CV just go really slow after a few seconds.

Except, it's more of a deterrent to using it as transport because you then have to be driving all the time to get anywhere, whereas with five minute intervals, you just have to hop out of comm mode and drive for twenty seconds every five minutes.

If you're trying to get out of water you're going to want to drive, but if it's not neccesary you're just going to avoid getting into water.

I also don't think you can really hide anywhere, you float so you'd just end up visible and more or less stuck out in the open.

11. Empty

Empty Member

You can hide on slaughtered, easily.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So modify the bridge to make it so you can't drive under it, and put vehicleclips around the beach and mountainside. Minor issues with one map which are easily fixed is not a good excuse.

13. Empty

Empty Member

I'm just rolling out the same reasons that got used when I introduced amphibious AFVs.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

In maps where water is in an inaccessible area you'd need to put barriers in, which is sort of true for slaughtered, but for maps like isle and cyclopean and some parts of slaughtered, amhibious CVs would be fine, because they can get out of the water again easily, and can concieveably get rid of undesired CV destruction.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

How about this:

Short-Range Comm Teleport

When a command vehicle enters the water a 'comm teleport' option is enabled allowing the commander (in comm view) to 'teleport' (really just delete/create a new cv) to another location within a fixed radius. There would be a time delay (say 60s) between each teleport (if the cv reenters the water) to prevent exploitation.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You can actually 'teleport' things in source, you just set their position, it's actually easier than moving it, because smooth motion has to be simulated, requiring hundreds of repositions every second.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The whole point of the idea is to replace 9 mine, not to supplement it.

18. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

This

Also, if an idiot gets in the comm and puts it in the water, the game won't last much longer, and that guy won't get voted in again(and if he does, then the team deserve to fucking lose)

It's not really that much of a problem.

19. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Well this is a problem but we can wait with fixing it.

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The simplest solution would be deployable balloons on the CV, which would keep it afloat or with proper research let it become airborne.

Yes Blimp

This wouldn't be OP as the enemy could slowly shoot out the balloons bringing the CV down to the ground covered in wrecked rubber. This would cause -6 to movement speed and -3 to constitution.