Need advice on new headset

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by w00kie, Dec 13, 2011.

1. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I no longer need advice on new headset! STOP POSTING! :D

I broke my good old creative fatality headset 5 minutes ago.
    I stood up from my desk an didn't realize the cable was stuck around one of my feet and now the cable broke at a predetermined breaking point -> unfixable.

So, do I get the cheap but very good one I had before again or do I try out something new and different?

The one I had before
    [​IMG]

" Creative Fatal1ty Pro Series Gaming Headset "

25 EUR online / 35 at a local store (if they still sell them),

The one I tough about buying a year ago, but then had just no need to
    [​IMG]

" Roccat Kave "

70 EUR online

I basically need my headset to yell at people and want to remain the style my voice sounds over the internet (condensator-microphone is a must) and not have a complete voice change like trickster when he changed headsets.

I hate using speakers while playing any competitive game. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

What do you mean the cable is unfixable? Do you not have a shred of home repair skills? If its only the cable of course its fixable.

3. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

I Like Turtles

I Like Beachs

Get Turtle Beach

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

And to think, I only just heard your (quiet) voice for the first time this morning!

5. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

We don't all have the time to watch Home Improvement. :(

On another note
    Don't buy a logitech headset. That's my advice. They suck. They break. They suck.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. ViroMan

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Just need a bit of electrical tape to get it working. If you want it to have a better connection, you'll need to solder it. If you want it to look nice, you'll need some right sized shrink. And if you're really awesome when it comes to fixing cables, you'll solder it, insulate the individual wires, put a perfectly fitted piece of shrink on the whole thing, put some super glue on it, then quickly melt the shrink down, perfectly bonding the shrink with the insulation on the individual wires and with the surrounding insulation on both ends. But I do that because I'm obsessed with making broken cables look nice.

Also, I have to agree with Lawliet here: Logitech makes great mice and keyboards, but I wouldn't use their headphones unless I was getting paid for it.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wookie get a cheap mic and decent (AKG) headphones.

9. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I'd say go for the Logitech G35. I've had mine for 2 years and it is still working perfectly fine. Great sound, both for gaming and music. Really nice bass, too.
    Only problem is that you need to be quite careful taking them on and off. The ear cup connectors break faster than a twig.
    As for the mic, it sounds incredibly good. Just treat it like it was your baby.

10. ViroMan

headphones... bah I use 5.1 speakers with a cheap but, good working mic.

11. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I use a pair of Astro A40's for my gaming. The cable is durable, I can use it with consoles, it supports Dolby 5.1, optical, digital and analog audio, fits comfortably, rests around my ears and not on them, and to top it all off I can plug my phone into it and use it as a music player with a 3.5 male to male. Hell, I sometimes use the audio output of another computer as my music player.

The things are expensive though at 250$, or about 190 Euros. Long lasting if you're just careful with them though, no manufacturing defects and comes with a one year warranty. I've had my pair for two years this Christmas now.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    you realize that there are people that dont live alone?

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

i got a speedlink medusa 5.1 headset
    but i haven't used it in years
    i got some 5.1 logitech speakers and a logitech mic
    works completly fine
    (and no i dont live alone, GET A DECENT DOOR DAMMIT)

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Can't go wrong with Turtle Beach

15. w00kie

First, thank you all for the replies.

I know how to solder cables, but fixing a cable that broke at exactly the place where one cable becomes two and having to reconnect 6 wires that have a less than 1 millimeter diameter on a 3 year old headset just sucks. The outcome would never be as good as it was before without putting hours of work into it.

I searched the web for Turtle Beach headsets and there are nearly no retailers for it in Germany and also no reviews, so I won't spend 98 € on something that can give me a hassle if I'm not satisfied with the product. (like possible static noise thx to extra USB power plug..)

Astro A40's are just too expensive.

I might just get the same headset that I had before. It lasted 3 years without any signs of wear and survived lots of bad treating and constant smoking into the mic.
    The Creative Fatal1ty gaming headset is dead, long life the Creative Fatal1ty gaming headset!

16. ViroMan

I wish I did live alone. Then I could turn my sound up past 5%, maby up to 9%. Im soo poor I live with a co worker and his twin brother. We rent. :( At least the house isn't shit. Its a 2 story 4bdr 3bath house. I live downstairs so I don't really have to turn my sound down when its night time and they are asleep.(I do a tad anyways though cuz Im such a nice guy.)

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The creative fatality headset audio quality is a bit poor but I used one for 2 years, and it's durable as fuck. I really battered that thing and it's still working now, although I use my HD650 headphones with a clip-on mic.

18. w00kie

I bought the fatal1ty again and it is exactly like the one I had before except that it feels newer and is not so worn out.
    I actually like the audio quality, lots of base but missing high frequencies.
    That's actually quiet nice to counter empires' broken sound.
    And the condensator mic still rocks compared to most others. :|ove:

19. ViroMan

Ha you bought a new headset?! pfft... what ever. What did you pay anyways?

20. w00kie

I start seeing viroman in a new light.

I imagine a guy in an old self-knitted wool jersey.

I payed 34 € instead of 39,95 €, after talking him down. Media Markt has the shittiest price policy.