Nan, Wtf Is This ****?

Discussion in 'Support' started by speaker_system, Jan 9, 2008.

1. speaker_system

speaker_system Member

hi, since the 2.11 i got this retarded error :S

i'm playing and the screen "breaks" or something strange i don't know how to tell this exactly... better i put a pic

[​IMG]

as you can see in the console apears the "NAN" :confused: message and the game gets frozen but when i press the "esc" to go menu the screen "upgrades"

i can't explain it exactly...

well, any way to fix the bug?

thanks

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

This usually happens if you minimize the game while it's in the loading screen, in Half-life games it simply causes the game to stop rendering when you are not in the menu.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Thats what happens when you try to divide by zero, see it as a warning.

4. Blight

Blight Member

Boy I roxxors in that pic

5. speaker_system

speaker_system Member

that's true, i get that error in hl1 but in hl2 happens randomly when i'm playing

maybe i have this error because i play in window mode?

6. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

off topic: internet explorer 7 sucks ass

half on topic: why the word "NAN".... couldn't valve find any other word

7. Bleeding Internet

Bleeding Internet Member

If I recall correctly it stands for "Not a Number" in this context.

8. flatmush

flatmush Member

Yeah it's a special case for IEEE floating point values, if you try to divide by zero or perform any other invalid operation it returns NaN (Not a Number).
    At a guess it's because when it's minimized the window size returned by windows is 0, so at some point the code divides by zero when trying to calculate the aspect ratio or something like that.
    Just don't minimize the game, or alt tab and it shouldn't happen alternatively just run in full-screen mode.

I only said that because I had the same problem when I started programming a 3d application for windows.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I put that NaN in there. It's a problem with the vehicle view. The game is getting the position and angle of the vehicle turret where it wants to put the player's view. For some reason, the position or angle returned is not a valid number. In testing, it would crash. I never figured out why sometimes it would return an invalid number, but I did find the part where it would crash. Therefore, I have it spit out "NaN" and return rather than crash hoping that someone would figure out how to reproduce it.

10. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I have found that while in the second seat of a BE APC, if the APC goes over the right terrain I will get a mixed black screen and hall of mirror effect, at which point my FPS drops exponentially... If I don't immediately get out of the APC, it can take up to a minute before it renders a new frame with me out of the APC. I don't specifically recall getting NAN in the console though.

11. Binboy

Binboy Member

Yarghh I Did a good thing I searched this forums.
    Anyways maybe this isn't a good idea to revive this ye old'e thread anyways I have this problem too, but I don't get this by alt tabbing or windows button etc etc. For some reason I simply sit in the BE APC shooter seat and sometimes when I press TAB and look at scoreboard and then my screens ends up like Above and My console is being spammed by NAN.

Anyways would this be Fixed or it's the Source Engine itself?