My hammer is broke

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [lodw]keef, Jun 24, 2009.

1. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

[​IMG]

This started about 2 days ago, I've done delete local content on Source SDk, Source SDK Base, Source SDK Orange box, reinstalled them all. Did a system restore to a point before this started happing, did registry cleaner, scanned my computer: AVG, spybot, CCleaner and another registry repair program. Nothing working so far.

This happens when I try to load the model browser or put anything (text wise) into the world model property value, it happens on more than just empires. Tried it on TF2 as well. Happens on any map, new or allready made.

Also weird things happen with my 3d view, it will zoom like you've done shift-Z on it but without actually exploding the screen to full view, so you'll see a quarter screen of fullscreen view. Does this randomly. Also when this happens things placed in the 3d view arent placed where your cursor is, most likely something to do with thinking its in full screen or w/e.

Im still trying things to try to fix this problem so I can get back to mapping, I figured I'd post here incase someone who knows more about this or has run into this kind of problem before might know what to do.

Thanks for any help you can provide on this situation. I need to get back to mapping! :)

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

have you tried using the standard game params in stead of the ones containing empires etc etc?

im a bit clueless here : /

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya I loaded hammer up in TF2 and tried the same things, same problem still.

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Tell it to get a job :) :) :)

On a more serious note, I think Valve updated the SDK recently, which might have broke it for you. I'd go and complain on their forums/feedback.

5. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

This probably just might be a tempory fix, but I helped some people in the past who had problems iwth the model browser:

Start Hammer
    Go to Tools - Options
    Open the General Tab
    Uncheck "Use VGUI Model Browser"
    Press "Ok"

6. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

a smith should be able to fix ye hammer

7. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

"broken, missing, and in the way are the three ways which equipment presents itself to us as such."

i really hope someone gets that without google.

8. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Wow only one post offered any support. I had this exact problem and ended up fixing it but deleting my steam folder and redownloading everything, i know this is a final resort but that was the only way i was able to do it.

9. Omneh

Omneh Member

While I can't offer support, I have been experiencing similar issues with the 3d view going rather strange. I haven't had any crashes yet, but then again, I haven't loaded any models recently.

10. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I had that one too, it shutted hammer down, but it gave no error message out! ...

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I dont have any clue I usually delete my steam folder and reinstall everything if hammer starts to bitch :3

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

>_> so it wasn't my vmf eh? :P

13. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

im not saying that lol but I didnt really feel like blaming you in front of the entire empires community. Gave a need to know post, this is whats broke how do I fix it.

14. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

this still wouldnt change anything cause even though i know what the model looks like and what its file path is, when I even put anything in the text area(file name path) it crashes. :(

15. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

well, mission success I guess
    I deleted my steam, re downloaded a few things while I was at work and was able to load regular half life 2 in source sdk and not have models crash it.

Just gena be busy redownloading for a while here.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

wonder if a reinstall will fix my problems :P

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Try running memtest, see if your ram is corrupted. Hammer uses a ton of memory, so it might be trying to use part of the ram that's broken or inaccessible in some way.
    Reinstalling Steam the right way (ie uninstalling the right way, not just deleting the folders) could work. If that doesn't work, try contacting Steam support.

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

my steam and hammer all work, it's just it produces VMF's that behave like viruses for other people...