My FX5200 keeps overheating!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sheepe, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

And its driving me nuts as I'm forced to reboot. I have a large external fan blowing on it, which used to work, but apparently isn't enough. Its probably not an issue with the thermal grease as I can feel the heatsink being extremely hot...

I need help! and money!

-Sheepe

2. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

ooookay, why is noone responding to me?

-Sheepe

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

you could underclock it, but then again, why would you want to do something like that on a FX5200

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

could try turning the fan the other way around so it blows all the hot air out of the system.

Works for me =o

5. Fray

Fray Member

a geforce 5200 overheating? Since when!

What the hell are you running?

6. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

If you still have any warranty on it, RMA it.
    My 9800 pro did the same after about a year and luckily I still had a warranty. If you dont you can buy yourself a new video card cooler off xoxide.com for about $50 and pickup some thermal grease for $10.

7. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

my graphics card fan was making noises but everytime I hit the computer it would stop but then after 2 months of that it completely fucked up and I had to buy a new one. It turns out all the fan needed was a little sewing machine oil.

8. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

mmm... my main question would be how can it get so hot if it isn't overclocked at all and I haven't shifted the heat sink (Its about 2 years old)

-Sheepe

9. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

dusty fan?

10. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

No fan at all... its just a heatsink

And it has all started recently, as the summer heat has started up....

-Sheepe

11. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Could be because the GPU/VPU became defective and now has heat issues. Lots of factors could cause a video card to turn into space heater. Thermal paste could've worn down, parts wearing out causing lack of power or more there of from the wear down and so on.
    As I said before:
    If warranty = true then
    return.product
    Else
    buy.new.heatsink.and.fan
    End if

XD

12. Jn.

Jn. Member

wow, a 5200 overheating hmmmmm. I used to have one, and I would have never thought that it would overheat, even if you were in a sauna or something. Just do what phaser8 says, hes a genious :D

13. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

If you dont have a warranty left on it and dont want to buy a new heatsink and fan you can do either one of the following:
    1. Just apply thermal grease and try that
    2. Sand down the top of the GPU and the heatsink bottom ( explained below )

The second method is mentioned on alot of sites as heatsinks usually dont have a 'mirror' like surface, meaning they dont transfer as much heat as they could if they were perfectly flat. Sanding it down using different grit sandpaper improves the abillity to transfer heat and also provides more surface for the thermal paste I believe.

'Smoother is better, you'll get better contact between the CPU and the HS.
    Wet sand it with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit sandpaper'

Although this is a time consuming process and you need to buy the sandpaper for it. IMO its not worth the effort was such a small video card.

RMA it if you can, if not then apply a BB sized dot of thermal grease and if it still doesnt work get a new heatsink/fan combo. If by then its still overheating look into a new video card because then it must be defective.

14. Ganks

Ganks Banned

Let me get this straight... You bought a high-end video card WITHOUT a fan on it? My 9550 has a fan on it for god's sake. Hahahahahaha.....!!!

Anyway never buy the standard manufactured video card. Buy the ones that are modified either by the store or a third party. Those cards are better than their standard varients. Thats why my card kicks more ass than almost every other 9xxx card.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  15. Jn.

Jn. Member

A 5200 is so far from high end it's not even funny.

16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Eh, I might just buy a new video card anyways, I'm tired of not being able to play FEAR with a frame rate about 20 and 10 for Empires...

-Sheepe

17. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

What is "Coolabaoratory liquid pro"? And whats the difference between Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Ceramique?

-Sheepe

18. SGT. MIKE

SGT. MIKE <blink>BANNED</blink>

same thing here i have the ZALMAN something fan... it sounds like a helicopter starting up! im so annoyed! the temp used to sir around 70 inside cxase EX: temp of 72 now it sits around 89-92 when the temp in my room is a low 70
    its 2 years old or 1 and a half

19. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Sheep I wouldnt know the differences off the top of my head but thermal grease usually varies from brand to brand. Arctic Silver 5 I think has over 70% silver in it compared to other brands or something.

sgt mike ( you're not important enough for me to capitalize your name ) if you think a zalman fan is loud get a vantec torndao. Zalman's are quiet compared to the large CFM fans that are commonplace in good machines these days that dont use water cooling. An example would be taking a box fan, setting it on low and thats probably how loud all my fans are together, but on the plus side those fans move a shitload of air. My 120MM moves around 80CFM compared to the shitty 10 or 15 CFM normal stock fans move.

20. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

If you're really having a problem like that, have it looked at immediately. It sounds like it's about to fry.

I, uh, wouldn't recommend trying anything, yourself, Mikey. I can't guarantee that you won't make it worse.