Muh Grooveshark is ded

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, May 1, 2015.

1. Deiform

Deiform Member

Don't get the Spotify hate. It's great. Saves me having to find high quality downloads. Has loads of extra songs released by the artists that I wouldn't have found anyway. Recommends new music for me based on my playlists. Has an app for every device. Has offline mode so I can download a playlist to my phone when I need to go out of streaming range. Tells me when my favourite artists releases new albums. Also it doesn't fuck over artists because they don't need a producer (see Professor Kliq, Ronald Jenkees).

But haters gonna hate hate hate (that song isn't available actually because Taylor is an idiot).

Compared to Spotify, Grooveshark was a donkey with 3 legs.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

yeah.... her album sold 4 million copies in the us, and 8 million worldwide. and thats in 2015, when noone buys cds.
    i dont think she needs spotify to pay her a tenth of a cent per play. it was an extremely smart move

3. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

It dominates the market, fills your ears with ads and then barely pays the artists.

Corporate soul-sucking has been happening in music since the '30s but companies like Spotify shift it into overdrive.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[youtube]zGM8PT1eAvY[/youtube]

Can't wait for his concert in June.

6. Deiform

Deiform Member

Yeah the free service is terrible, but that's not really their main product is it. If you're not going to pay for your music then of course GrooveShark was going to be better.

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

hes playing a free outdoor concert in montreal

8. McGyver

9. Space_Oddity

The paid service is still terrible because you're paying them to rip off artists.

Contrary to popular belief, music is seriously hard work. The audience only sees the fun bits.

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

What do you mean by "careful"?

11. McGyver

The site seems to be somewhat fishy, located in the Ukraine and offering direct song downloads. But since a bunch of tech blogs linked to it, it's probably in that enjoyable zone between legal and illegal.

12. Deiform

Deiform Member

So I should pirate it? Because that's what I'd do if Spotify didn't exist. If artists hated it that much they wouldn't use it. When they released their figures they stated they paid $2bil to artists in the past few years, and Taylor Swift had $6mil in royalties paid last year. If that's a rip off then I'm living in poverty.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  13. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

It's okay dief, we can be parasites together.

14. Space_Oddity

Fucking yes. Boycott that shit.

I think you know I wasn't referring to Radio 1 pop stuff. At the poorer end of the scale Spotify just ends up costing money to artists by killing album, download and ticket sales in favour of streaming.

The famous artists can afford to put their stuff on there and turn enough profit whereas it tends to be naive young artists or exploitative labels that cram their stuff on Spotify as soon as possible to get lost in all the sea of piss. I've had long talks with a former popstar-turned manager/agent type person (who was an utter fucking parasite himself) who had a great deal of knowledge on this sort of arsery.

I say all this having already obviously and painfully lost the fight of course; if I ever form a band to make money it will either be a boring function band playing covers or a ludicrously loud and fun live show where people can't simply download the experience (already got something in the works for that, assuming I stay in England.)

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  15. Metruption

Metruption Member

what the fuck kind of loser doesn't listen to his dubstep on a phonograph?