Move over, Bitcoin. Dogecoin is here

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fooshi, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The point of the folding computations is to find out where things may go wrong though, humans already know the protein combinations. AFAIK there aren't even that many protein combinations, like 40,000 I believe. In biological terms, that's a small number.

It's done good for alzheimers right. right?

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Well first of all, I meant protein structure. Considering how the main thing here are the aminoacid's side groups and how they interact with each other, its not so easy.
    I have no idea what you mean by protein combinations, especially after you said 40k. There are like billions of proteins. Diffrent lenghts, diffrent aa modifications and the lsit goes on.

3. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

[​IMG]

muh gains

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Nevermind what I said, I know 40000 is a number in biology but it's not proteins. Maybe it's amount of genes? whatever.

5. Z100000M

40k is such a low number that the only thing It may refer to is number of known species from some genus/phylum/I dont know the english tiers.jpg.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I'm also in need of an assasin, which place is best to buy myself some bitcoins?

7. Z100000M

Gyver, the thing you are looking for is a dildo.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I would honestly estimate that ASICs would have brought at least a tenfold return on average (for the actual cost of the machines) in the most recent bubble. Chances are that the people who have ASICs have already worked their way into profit several times over.

It's really about difficulty vs value. As the difficulty goes up, they mine less, thus they get fewer coins. The people who got ASICs the earliest made a fucking killing, because the difficulty was so low but their machines were worth hundreds of GPUs (the previous method) on their own. Difficulty is far higher now, so before the bubble, a lot of people were losing a lot of money on their ASIC machines. But now this bubble hit, which, if you played your cards right, probably meant a 900% profit, or at least a 500% if you fucked up royally. Chances are that very few people who have invested in ASIC machines in the last 6 months have lost out. The vast majority will be wiping their arse with all the money they've made.

9. Z100000M

Thats only if they will find a way to monetise that. I dotn't know why anyone would accept coins as payment, they fluctuate way too fucking much.
    Holding currency that has no real value is pointless.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Are you retarded? Just swap it to any trade site, change it into USD and voila, fucking done. Just withdraw to your bank account.

http://bitcoinity.org/markets

You can see the current value on all major exchanges there. That's the value that people are buying for right now.

As for accepting payment, I don't see something that fluctuates that much being accepted widely anyway, but quite a few places now accept BTC and just run it through an auto USD to BTC converter, which instantly exchanges it to USD for them anyway. So technically speaking, they're still accepting it in USD, but people can pay using BTC.

I do believe we'll have an alternative currency in the future, but I don't really think BTC will be it. I just don't believe in the long term prospects of a deflationary currency.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  11. Fooshi

Bitcoin protocol uses SHA-256, whilst Litecoin, Dogecoin and a few others use scrypt, which basically renders existing ASIC machines useless.

12. Z100000M

ASCI machines... lmao

13. Fooshi

Fixed.

14. Z100000M

Now, I don't give enough shits to warrant proper research, but judging by "bid" and "ask" on the posted site,there is a seller and a buyer, which has to spend normal currency in order to get the bc, therefore obeying the laws of supply/demand. Now what I meant was that people keeping all of those coins will be left with nothing if noone will be willing to buy them. I still can't really see why would anyone buy them if its hard to find services willing to use them.

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Those points are true for all normal currency as well. You need to have trust in the value of something, be it gold, paper money or bitcoins.

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Simple, because they think they can sell them for more than they bought them for if they hold onto them. They have every sign of a bubble.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It's absurd as fuck, that's the only reason it has any value is because people think it does, not because people trust it does. No one trust bitcoins, that's why they try to sell them as soon as they gain a little worth. If bitcoins were trusted then you could use them in real life at your supermarket, but you can't, you can only buy grilled cheeses and hired guns.

18. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I just remembered the fundamental flaw in Bitcoin as a currency.

People only mine Bitcoin because they think they'll get more money in return in the form of bitcoins. That mining though, for those who don't know, is actually verifying transactions other people make. Getting bitcoins from mining isn't the purpose of mining but the incentive to provide the infrastructure that Bitcoin needs to work. People aren't spending thousands of dollars on machines designed only for mining and on electricity simply out of the goodness of their hearts, they do it because they think they'll get more out of it. So what happens once the costs of mining exceed the possible gains? People stop mining and transactions stop being verified.

19. Z100000M

But if everyone is just in it for multiplication, they'll just end up with zimbabwe tier inflation. I dont have any economic knowledge besised the high school stuff+ tihngs you learn over 21 years, but even I can see this is not going anywhere.

Its like we are witnessing another gold rush. Every retard thinks he will get rich.

20. Fooshi

Most people are in on Dogecoin as a pisstake on Bitcoin and to prove that currency is only worth what we make it worth. Of course, there are people out there who really want it to be a thing so they can earn some easy cash. I read a reddit post about a guy who invested 50k of his life savings in Dogecoin because he was content it would take off. Not sure if troll, though. If so, lol gg well played fucking up your life.