Move as many things as possible over to the particle system.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chris0132', May 25, 2009.

1. siro

siro Member

whats the status ? is the particlesystem ready for use ?

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I worked on it and managed to port over a crapload, but then I was on vacation and currently I'm not near my comp. I'll be heading home tomorrow evening, where I'll send my code to MOOtant.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Whee awesome, I can start adding the particles I made to the SVN version then.

4. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

I have a question about particle systems. I've got several different answears, but it doesn't seem like you can include custom particle systems in your map, am I right? Will this be made possible?

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

A recent addition to the SDK allows custom particle_manifests to be included in the same way as custom soundscript manifests, have a look on the valve dev wiki, they should have more info.

6. siro

siro Member

I played a bit with the particle system and i used my custom particle effects on my map. It is already working. I think the only limitation is that you can only use particles placed in the empiresfolder, hl2 based particle have been invisible to me ingame.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well yeah, because empires doesn't load things from HL2, it loads them from empires...

He's asking because you can't use any particles ingame unless you change the particle manifest, and there's only one particle manifest so changing it would overwrite any other custom particles.

However the new system means you don't have to, just like with soundscapes.