Mountable Buildings

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metal Smith, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Alright, essentially this is just giving a building the same coding as a vehicle, with the turret and all, and then using that to "mount" the building and give it a cannon or something.

Think of it as an armory with a tank cannon mounted on it, but the stationary cannon would fire either faster or without heat or with more damage. I'm thinking no ammo limits and without heat, but with reloading clips or something.

2. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

i think this is what a lot of people who come to new to the game are expecting, and not having it makes empires seem a lot more boring. I'm thinking like the turrets in renegade that you could mount and use, if you want to defend a point by yourself this could be useful.
    it would bring new tactics to commanding and ninjaing too, where instead of building a level 3 behind a wall, you could build one of these and use it. Turrets are fine and all but they dont give a fuck about priority units or self preservation, so a player operated one could be both fun and useful.

would be nice to just maybe stick a level1 on top of an armory and make it controllable for testing purposes sometime before 2.26

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

well, I was thinking about making a vehicle with the "armory" model as the chassis and then some random tank cannon as the cannon model. Then spawning it with the vehicle spawner. I think it would work, as you don't need the mounting bones to spawn a model as a tank chassis.

Then again, it may crash. I'll investigate when I have more time.

4. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

i was thinking more like a bunker of metal whit a gun or sumthing on top that the commander can drop and built by engies or E build. Usefull in clusterfucked situations like when ur base is under attack or defending a posititon. Also could add like an ammo box inside it and might be the new armory.... but if it resorts to that than it will have to cost more res than a normal armory.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

pointless, make tanks weaker and it solves the problem that not only a really huge ass missile farm can stop a couple of heavies. for some reason all of you seem to desperately try to avoid to see that the real issue empires has is that tanks are redicolously overpowerd compaired to the rest of the game and try to solve that with adding new stuff ontop to disguise that fact.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

personally, i just want more diverse strategy then RUSH RUSH RUSH

there are many ways to do it ofc

8. flasche

there is diversity in how you attack - but your objective is to destroy the enemy command vehicle, not hold a position for x minutes ...

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Fixed towers do give some diversity in form of attack, especially when there is no limit on the attack. Call this a base buster. Eliminate heat and give ammo and it'll be a vulnerable building to RPG's but will totally decimate any base that it can hit. Also, with artillery feedback and medium arching shells, it can hit about anything on the map with a skilled driver.

10. flasche

because turrets as offensive weapon is very intuitive. and srsly, a turret that can shoot anywhere on the map - u kidding me?

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Flasche, it's called a tank cannon. It gets used all the time on emp_money. Don't pretend it's Stupid and overpowered. It already exists in game. I've used mediums to snipe out bases on isle in the past.

12. flasche

may i leave this as answer?

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

-_-. you can do it on every map. Any competent tank driver can.

Mvalley, Cyclopean, isles, dust storm being the ones that come to mind of this actually happening more often than not.

Most players realize that the shell, once fired, Keeps going.

You can even do this to some extent on canyon , though it's a tad more difficult at times.

In other words, this does nothing to hurt current gameplay in the sense that it doesn't alter gameplay at all.

14. flasche

i barely see arties on the above mentioned maps ...
    i still dont get why we would need an arty tower?

15. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Arty rapes on Canyon. And pretty good on isle with too. Just not spammed.

16. flasche

yes i know, i was on the pug - but isnt this another reason why there shouldnt be such thing as an arty tower that can "shoot across the whole map"? afaik, at least for full grid size maps, you cant do that with arties ...

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

artillery turrets = terrible idea

18. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I think that this would encourage turtling too heavily.
    With a med tank or something ERcn sniping buildings on isle and shit, at least you can move around and change firing positions.
    And money is by nature a turtling map anyways, unless you do a rush.

19. Empty

Empty Member

Big Berthas ftw.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Well, we need to buff RPG's then so they can kill tanks in less than 15 shots.