Model/Textures for spotlight maps.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Jackman, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jackman

Jackman Member

Hi there,

If anyone needs some sort of specific model for their spotlight map, like some statues, rocks or theme items, post it here and I'll try to work on it for you in this next little bit.

Include things like colour, theme, what it is going to be used for, and perhaps polycount to stay under.

Try to exclude things like "We need moar rocks", because I can make a lot of generic rocks,but it would probably be better/faster if I made some with a specific map in mind.

2. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

We need some cliff textures that blends with some of the popular grass textures towards the top.

We currently have no cliff textures that blend well. The only one out there is the ones used in isle and canyon and those look like crap. So if you're looking for something look for some good cliff textures to start out with.

From there we can use some random tree models, those are the hardest to find and make to my knowledge, there's a ELM model in my dowloads page (http://downloads.borgamers.com/Empires/Custom Content/). There's also a not so good looking palm tree that needs a thicker trunk and possibly groups of either like the orex trees.

3. Jackman

Jackman Member

IMO that Elm looks pretty good. You did a good job there.

4. Jackman

Jackman Member

I'm not sure about how hard trees are to make.. you can easily use a script to generate a base for you (ex. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/tree-maker ) then figure out how you want your leaves to appear.

After that its just a matter of a little tweaking and texturing.

5. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

FYI- i did not make that tree for i know nothing about modeling, found it on a free website. Problem with it is that it's LOD? settings are set weird, it goes to full detail way up close and goes to shitty mode not far out at all, if you could re-do that so it's more like the orex trees so that it goes to shitty mode at like 1000 units? and only have 2 levels?

6. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

do you know how to do LOD work? I'd love to get some LOD on the trees in tropic vendetta, between the water and the trees is where everyones FPS gets sucked into those black holes.

7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

"Sniff" WHAT ABOUT ME

8. Jackman

Jackman Member

I'm not familiar with the orex trees (I know where they are in the modeling folders, but haven't looked at them). I know the basics of LOD so I'll take a look at that elm model.

Which model is it in particular?

9. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

well I meant the palm trees in tropic vendetta, you dont actually have any access to them but its probably irrelevant now anyway cause I was able to get ahold of the actual modeler of the trees and have asked him if he could make some LOD on the versions of the trees we have. I guess he has a new version that has LOD on it but it also has coconuts which I dont particularly want. We'll see what his answer is though.

and pwnedyoass arent you busy?

anyway though these are the palm trees I was talking about

[​IMG]

10. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Sadly Keef, sadly.

11. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Nauz, the guy who made the palm trees, made new versions for us that don't have coconuts, but have LOD, and he also gave us 2 different sized clusters of them.

LOD is pretty beneficial in Empires - especially with models like the Orex trees. The Empires default palm trees don't have any LOD I don't think, but they also seem to behave weird. It seems as though the leaves on them don't have proper radiosity applied to them - they always seem to be in full-bright. I'm no modeler, so I don't know the cause.

Take a look through the Brenodi prop models: cabinets, imperial crates, bunk beads, shelves, etc. NF doesn't have any of such props, but I think it'd be nice if they did - right now they only have crates and barrels, but it'd be cool to have some cabinets, shelves, bunk beads, etc. I know these aren't really "map specific," but they'd be applicable in a great number of scenarios.