Mod in the making

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Private Sandbag, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I really want to make a little mod i've been dreaming about... though I doubt it will happen to be honest. The whole idea of the mod came about because I saw that there is an award for physics use in mod db, but no competative mod really makes the most of physics :(

here's the plan:

Fizzix Gaim

The idea of the mod is to use physics to kill your enemies, by traps or anything similar. I want to remove all direct fire weapons from the game. The idea is that players set up all sorts of traps and run around setting enemy traps off and getting themselves killed. The motivation for running around is that there are all sorts of build materials randomly scattered around the map, that you will want to collect to make your traps.

Things the player starts with automatically:
    Gravity gun (without pull ability, only the zap)
    Rope - unlimited
    3 Crates
    "Pull" ability (you click an object and then it is tied to you by temporary rope so you can look whatever direction you like)
    "Flip" ability (after pressing your "flip" key, click mouse and drag mouse in a direction to create a force on the object you are looking at in that direction)

Things in the map:
    Lots of objects
    Speed Powerup
    Slow Enemy Powerup
    Backpack (increases what you can hold)
    icy water (makes a large area very very slidey to enemies and objects)
    Portal Gun
    Blue Gravity Gun (zap only)
    Nailgun (does not hurt enemies)

Useful building stuff in the map:
    Elastic rope
    Spring (set of 5)
    Planks (comes in sets of 20)
    Crates
    Logs
    lots of other stuff that you can put in your backpack

fun huh! all we need now is an entire team for me to "help" by me giving them various directions (to be honest, it would be just as fun using the half life deathmatch maps, with standard half life 2 entities, all we need is a code god)

2. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Wouldn't a Gmod mod be easier?

3. Carnifex

Carnifex Member

It sure does sound like great fun, but indeed, a gmod mod sounds easier than having to make a total new HL2 mod.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I agree with the gmod thing, but make it run off of gmod9 since thats still available for free.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

so how do i go about making a mod for gmod?

6. REX

REX Member

hmm lol this feels nostalgic somehow. I used to spend a lot of time in original HL2DM on those special maps like what was it? bobs building ground or something like that ?. Back when there was no mods.... just like 1500+ registered ones on moddb :eek:.

It was full of spawners with tons of objects and people would start building stuff with it. I remember some guy was there a lot who knew a command to lock stuff where it was so we made forts and then started to fight.

Also spawning shotguns and doing skeetshooting was great one dude launch a watermelon from the far end :).