mini build tool

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by SwampRat, Jul 21, 2006.

1. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

Hello,

this is sort of an offshoot of the thread about engineer grenades etc recently. My thinking behind there being mostly engineers during at least the first part of most games is that the comm generally needs stuff built. In maps where it comes down to tickets, yes revive and heal are important but always at the start of building maps the comm needs stuff built and quick expansion, so this means needing mostly engineers.

Currently everyone can build just horribly slowly, howabout either increasing this speed a bit to make it plausable to have a couple of proper troops going up front to build some stuff (like a refinery) without having 2 people stood for 10min trying to build, or having a mini-calculator(build only, not repair) available for some of the other classes instead of a weapon of some sort, say the choice to swap a pistol for a mini-calc.

Engineers would retain their usefulness in 1. building quicker, 2. repairing buildings and tanks, 3. healing and reviving, 4. creating bottomless ammo crates.

In someways I do see how its better to need to have the other classes push onwards and defend engineers behind the lines building, but so often it seems that at least initially there needs to be 6+ engineers to get a team off to a good start.

My questions for everyone else are twofold - am I seeing a problem where there isnt one? if i'm not then would either of these help?:confused:

2. supaste

supaste Member

you wanna build quick at start?

squad up and get repair upgrade! its very usful

3. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

unfortunately most of the time nobody wants to squad or its a bunch of newbs asking "HOWIJOINSQUAD!!?"

4. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

You know, I know this is super-noobish, maybe I missed it in my absence of 1.03-1.04, but do you instantly get an upgrade when you squad up? Or do you have to be the squad captain? Or do you mean you just get an upgrade faster?

I've noticed that sometimes I already have a skill choice, even though I havne't gotten one yet, after joining a squad, but I thought it was just a glitch... never noticed that it actually worked.

5. FalconX

FalconX Developer

The current build rate is just fine. If you get a few teammates to help you you can build faster than any engineer because you don't need to wait for the kit to recharge.

6. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I do that mostly but my point wasn't to speed up the engineer but to not need a team full of the blighters, its much nicer to be a different class.

7. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

its still quicker for engi to build, even when he is out of energy with his TI-83

8. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

I don't think it's a good idea giving all none-engineers a mini-calculator.
    It belongs to the game, that you need engineer and that the enemy might easily kill rushing-for-res-nodes-engis.
    You have too choose in which way you want to help your team or in which way you can help your team best: defending the rushing engis, hunting enemy engis or build up the base and beeing an engi yourself.
    'E' for none-engis is good enough.

9. Ganks

Ganks Banned

Give them a loaded gun or point them to the nearest freeway.

Im not kidding. Anyone who plays the game without reading the forum or the wiki needs to... I dunno, die? cuz this is a mod and i dont know why you would download a mod for hours and not know how to play it.

HELLO?!?!?!?!?!?! :rolleyes: Its not astrophysics.

Listen... since the dawn of PC Gaming noobs have always been chicken feed, kay? I was chicken feed. You were chicken feed. Thats just the way things are man. If noobs dont wanna learn then maybe they should be banned for an hour while they read the forum and/or wiki.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006