Mimimum wage for commanders (AKA Sowchulizums)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, May 13, 2016.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

-Give each team about 10% of the total resources on the map 'for free', just for having their commander alive

-reduce the resource income of each refinery with 20% (increase the time per resource tick or whatever, so no maps need to be edited)

amounts up for debate, although the resources given to each team added together should somewhat approach the resources reduced through refineries, so this does not change map economy balance too much.

it will
    -help balance out mid game in favour of whoever is doing a bit worse (but wont help the team that is doing outright terrible and deserves to lose)
    -reduce slippery slope early game due to no research
    -reduce slippery slope mid game due to no research
    -get rid of "The enemy pushed and locked us into a corner and we have nothing to do but wait until they finally roll out their heavies and kill us, because there is no way to get out of this grind fest without some resource income"
    -get rid of "we had a very rough start but are now doing awesome, there is no chance at getting a comeback though, since the enemy can literally perpetually roll out tanks and crush us due to swimming in resources"

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

There is no debate desired about this subject?

3. Ranger

Ranger Member

Never saw dis thread.

I don't understand what you mean with "give mony for free"

Like, give monies sporadically, periodically or one time thing? Or make the CV give resources when the comm is inside alive and well?

4. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Basically make the cv another refinery. And reduce res income globally to not disrupt the economy.

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well if you really want my opinion I think it's another terrible idea. There I said it.

6. FN198

FN198 Member

I don't like it either because it's too complicated. Just make the command vehicle give a solid 1 res per tick. It won't disrupt anything.

7. Ranger

Ranger Member

This is not unheard of. In Total Annihilation the Commander produces both energy and small amounts of metal as it carries deposits of both. It could play in empires. I don't think reducing global economy is needed though. Just let the CV give us more mony thx.

8. FN198

FN198 Member

Total Annihilation. That's one of my two favorite games. Do you still play?

9. Ranger

Ranger Member

Naw I don't, not installed. Never played online too.

I mean, occasionally I do. I'm gonna buy it again on Steam when it goes on sale.

10. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Free money?! Are you a communist?

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

it will change early game, a ref more is a ref more. since both teams get the bonus it evens out. the only situation where this makes a difference is when you are below 200 and lose your last ref. usually - and i mean the 99.99% usual - when that happens its late game and the one ref wont save your sorry ass either.

12. FN198

FN198 Member

How about early game and a noob comm makes a mistake leaving the team only 90 res without any refs? The game shouldn't end there, and that's the argument for this to be implemented.

13. flasche

yes thats shit, but it wont fix that specific game either. you might have some "fun" delaying the inevitable but you lost and in the end its most likely going to be a shit game since after a certain point your chances are very limited. if its like you say 1 res per second, it might only be 10seconds for a ref, but then? if you lost all refs that means the enemy probably has at least a few, you wont catch up ever.

(though you said tick, do you mean something different?)

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Why won't people understand that it's better to move on than to stay on a map that's been fucked up from the start? If after 5 minutes you're stuck in your main base with no way out just end it, don't spend 30 minutes clusterfucking for nothing.

This is Empires mentality and it's stupid. If you were doing that shit in a RTS you'd be blacklisted instantly.

15. Nivlystug

Nivlystug Member

While I do agree with you that some cases are absolutely hopeless (no refs), many times, a good push or a forward APC can really hamper your opponent and at least give you a chance of coming back. It's not impossible.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

In general the slippery slide of having 1 ref fewer then the enemy is too harsh, this will smooth it out a bit.
    also it will make commander mistakes a little less unforgiving.

Dont see it as delay the inevitable, but as a chance for the underdog to come back from a setback... and empires needs that

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

how is it too complicated? everything is done by the devs who cares if they need to think a bit and use a piece of paper and basic math to calculate how to change the code... the complexity does not apply to the players, all they need to know in the end is that if you have a commander you get a small income without refineries.

18. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

You're so absolutely wrong, there's no slippery slope in Empires, the only thing that makes a difference between the teams is skills, not refineries.

In a pub game I usually take out an average of 5 heavy tanks for a single one of ours, and that's just an example of how skills make a difference on the economy.

So let's everybody stop the bullshit of lowering "slippery slopes", we've already got free research, wages, cheaper armor/weapons/engine because of that stupid mentality.

If you're stuck in your base after 5 minutes your team (assuming that no new players are joining) is obviously not capable of cooperating and therefore not capable of pulling an APC rush.
    And most maps are too closed to do that anyhow.

19. flasche

no it wont, you still have a ref less, and both teams get the bonus res - its a zero sum game.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its not, you dont get the maths, and thats fine. its really not that simple to explain this either, basically the dominator gets less "gain" from dominating the map and the dominated is punished less severely for only having 1 refinery less.

5 ref map example

10 res each (for calculation ease)
    that makes total of 50 res
    but a max of either 20 or 30 res per team, (or if we normalise 25 res per team on average)
    thats a difference of 10 you either have or not have on a 20 res base

same map, with Sowchulizums
    total unedited res = 50
    20% = 10 reduction of total resource through refs
    10% = 5 Sowchulizums

10 res / .80 = 8 res per ref (this is the 20% reduction in res output)
    5*8 = 40 (missing 10 res)
    = 16 or 24 per team +10% social services
    = either 21 or 29, the losing team got an extra 1, the winning team lost 1,
    difference between them is 8 instead of 10 without this

the slippery slope on 1 refinery is effectively less, while the total resources on the map is maintained.

if we would do this with 40% instead of 20 to increase the effect and make it more clear
    lets take 5 refs
    10 res each = 50
    40% =20
    20% =10

10 res / .60 = 6 res per ref
    5*6 = 30
    = 12 or 18 +20% (10)
    = 22 or 28 = difference of 6! res to have 1 ref less

Hope it makes sense now and why it is good. Numbers were all arbitrary and up for balance ofc.