Mecs

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by HungryGuy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

I know this segestion will probibaly be burnt recycled, then burnt again,:D but I'll try. A mec, herc walker, whatever you want to call it, slower then tanks, but capable of junpjeting and just plane walking up relativly steep slopes.

2. Miss Mary

Miss Mary Member

YES
    YES YES YESf work but christ thats a good idea

3. PJB

PJB Member

i'm a serious fan of the good old mechwarrior games, it would rock!

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

No, this is not a mech game.

5. FLH

FLH Member

Mechastreisand ftw! lol ;)

6. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Would you be indefinately opposed to armoured suits for infantry... Sort of like heavy infantry?

7. Psycadelic_magi

Psycadelic_magi Member

Yeah, powered exoskeletons for soldiers arent far off in real life technology so...

8. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

If it was a research for powered armor and you had some sort building to outfit you with it, that would ROCK. All you need to do is make a model for a power suit and when you buy one from the building, it just changes your model and gives you more HP and armor.

I'd like it to have a health AND armor bar, kinda like tanks but it's an overall covering. That way you can heal your health at an armory, but you need an engie for your armor!

Pretty sure Krenzo's going to shoot this bird down with a nuke, but it's worth a try!

9. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

all i can say is,

have yall played planetside?
    U get your heavy infantry, which is super strong, and has all his guns built into his hands. theres three classes of heavys. anti tank, anti infantry, anti air. the Terran's Heavy can shoot down "stakes" from his feet, and entrench himself into the ground, improving fire rate and accruacy. one of the other side's can hover for a few seconds, and another has a sheild. they all have the run ability, which makes them run faster than normal infantry, but cant strafe and cant shoot, and doesnt stop until u make it stop.
    i think thats lotsa good ideas can come from planetside, cuz this is a futurisitc vehcile driving mod, and planetiside is a futuristic vehcile driving game.
    needless to say, if we ever implemented training, u could have a mission to unlock heavy armor, so that u have to work to get it.
    and then, if u want mech, planetside has mechs, dont want to explain em tho.

i have wanted to play any game with mechs for along time, but mechwarrior 4 got old and Earth 2160 doesnt have anyone playing online.
    :(

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Go wait for the next installment of the Starsiege series, Starsiege 2845.

That'll get you your mech fix.

And use DosBOX to play Mechwarrior 2 while you're at it. That game owns just about everything in circles.

Oh, and when you're done...

Come play Empires and watch me lag :-D

11. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:( Why did FASA had to go down... I loved the old Mechwarrior games. But I must agree with Krenzo here. Mechs don't quite fit the empires universe. It's neo-cold war style of thingygummi with space nazis and wannabe russians. :)

I can't picture a Timber Wolf walking down the streets of district killing everything that moves and refuses to move. :) Well actually I can, but it doesn't fit IMHO.

EDIT: There's a MW2 trilogy called Mechwarrior 2: The Titanium Trilogy. It has MW2, MW2: Ghost Bears Legacy and MW2: Mercenaries all in 3D accelerated form. :D I wish I could get it somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Mechs are a definate no, But how exo suits are... As stated before me, just super heavy infantry...

13. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

Maybe exo suits for the grenadiers as a special ability??? That would not only help to boost the variety of people in classes (less engineers) and could potenially make the game more fun.

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

FASA closed up shop because they knew that the traditional tabletop rpg and wargaming markets were going away and being replaced by computer games. They at least closed while they were still on top of things instead of holding on until they went bankrupt.

15. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

If the government is unwilling to even buy body armor for soldiers and their vehicles, why in god's name would they want to spend millions, if not billions, on a single soldier, for a device that could be very easily defeated?

The idea that upright, bipedal constructs are ideal for combat is fallacious. The reason we evolved in such a way was to allow dextrous manipulation of tools, not to make us more physically robust. Furthermore, combat is moving away from large numbers and lots of CQC, and towards long-range strikes with missiles and various warheads. Granted, the current operations in Iraq are being botched to hell by politicians and the like, but it's still moving in that direction.

In closing, no mechs, rawr!

16. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

One hundred years ago, the idea that flimsy wooden flying machines were ideal for combat was fallacious.

Once more, my flying machine pwns your whole army.

Besides which, upright bipedal constructs fight each other all the time. I'll grab a sword and prove it. Better yet, I'll nab a javelin and pop your expensive tank right open. After all, tanks are invulnerable, right?

The truth is, NO WEAPON ON THE FIELD OF COMBAT IS INVULNERABLE. The question is whether or not your weapon can deal out more damage to the enemy than the enemy can deal to it.

Besides, knocking an idea before it's actually been tried is a good way to lose an initial engagement, if not an entire war. It's the job of any military that wants to stay a powerful force to try EVERY possible avenue, not just the ones that have already been tried.

17. Jn.

Jn. Member

Here we go, more useless arguing about stupid mechs. I agree with fox. Infantry warfare is fading to long range missiles and whatnot. And knocking an idea that will put you in debt past your eyeballs is rational thinking I'd say. You have to consider the practicalities of such investments. Mechs and exosuits would pretty much be useless. I really can't explain this well maybe someone will understand; the argument about airplanes is just stupid. You're basically saying that everything people thought would be useless and turned out useful in the past can be compared to everything that's considered(and probably proven) useless nowadays. I can't think of examples off the top of my head right now, but I'm sure someone had an idea that was thought to be useless, and actually turned out useless, especially dealing with the military. Ok I just thought of one and I don't feeling like changing the previous sentence. What's the deal with those missile defense systems that sit up in space that began development during the clinton administration(I think). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was a flop. Some things that are considered useless are thought of that way because there is good reason. The occasional exception(like planes)doesn't make everything that's impractical, practical someday.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Exo suits today, are just hydrolics (Spelling?) assisting movement, so that you can carry alot more crap, without using a donkey... Would help in sevral ways (A nurse wearing one can lift and transport a patient single handed, a soldier can carry alot more crap without getting tired, rescue crews can move debris without cranes) The idea is fairly usefull... But its implimintation as an effictive modern war machine is doubtfull... If anything the exo suit will probably see more action as riot and crowd controll...

The allies in the first world war thought the machine gun was useless, and they stuck to old tactics Aka(Lets all charge that narrow chokepoint and hope that those German Mg's that are sitting in our own crators dont turn is into swiss cheese) and beacuse of that... well it didnt go that well at first for the allies or the "Tripple Antent"

19. Jn.

Jn. Member

Entente* ok sorry..........But yes, I could probably see suits used for non military uses. Firefighting for one. It would be alot easier to rescue people when you don't have to worry about rubble and explosions :)

20. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Niarbeht, it's not so much a matter of a person versus a person, but of a person versus a fucking bear or a cougar or something. The bipedal form is great for the manipulation of objects and creation of tools, but against a form with the same level of technology, a low center of gravity, and less surface area? It's just not ideal for that.