Mayamas infantry weapon discussion 1: Crouching is not need anymore

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -Mayama-, Jan 9, 2013.

?

What do you think is better

1. 2.4 action orientated infantry combat, crouch is almost obsolete

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. 2.1 combat, crouching gives a major advantage and is key to win fights with projectile weapons

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

One thing that I noticed is that crouching is obsolete if you dont attack at very long range. Each of the infantry weapons that are actually used, p1, smg1, smg2, nfar, behr are so accurate that you can snipe while standing and in fights the one that stands and strafes has a better chance to win cause of lag, its very hard to hit him while the other one that crouches is a sitting duck.

It feels like infantry combat is alot more action orientated now and usually the one attacking and strafing like a madmen has an advantage over the guy defending.

Do you think thats good or bad?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I have noticed this somewhat as well. I have gotten a lot more kills lately from people who are crouched or proned while I dodge and shoot.

3. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I crouch all the time even if I rush forwards, jump, sprint and strafe like mad.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I deliberately made the BEHR, NFAR and SMG2 more usable whilst running/standing. I deliberately made the BEAR, NFHR, SMG1 and Pistol 1 more usable whilst crouching.

Not saying that it actually works as I want it to with everyone, but that's what I was TRYING to accomplish.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ahh that explains why my SMG2 kill count went up.

6. Trickster

I didn't do any of those things this version, so SMG2 hasn't changed for about 2 years. It's what I was working on when I took over. I did the overhaul in 2.28, rebalanced in 2.30, and since 2.30, the changes have really been marginal at best.

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

i think you should make the benefit for the crouching weapons more profound so people can kind of determine how they want to play

then you have 2.4 and 2.1 both available on the field

then the decision between them becomes more of preference

8. Trickster

I really wanted to separate it based on weapon. Have a weapon for those who enjoy crouching, and a weapon for those who enjoy running around. That's what BEAR and NFHR are supposed to be, but I just couldn't buff crouching enough without buffing standing, because of things in the scripts not acting how I want them to.

Hence the need for a reset. These script values have, although heavily edited over the years, been in place since 1.0, 6 years ago. They really need a do-over.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

atm the best way to use behr and nfar is to just strave and hold the weapon constantly on the level of the enemy head, you can hold mouse1 down constantly while doing it. In 2.1 the cone spread out fast enough to not encourage constant firing WHILE STANDING!!! it feels really dumped down and retarded. It makes everyone a decent rifleman. The skill gap between good and bad is now way smaller than it was bevor.

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I dont know mayama, you bitched about me lasering you in 2.12, yet i never ever go for a hs unless its cqc.

But that aside, I did like it being more crouch based, as riflemen had to trade mobility for killing power. Nowadays you are considered awesome rifle if you gett speed+behr and rush in. For me, lame.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Crouching also brings your hitboxes closer together, something I learned playing in BG2 clans.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Yeah its all about mindlessly rushing in and hoping that the enemy has more ping issues (if we assume everyone is on the same skill level).

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

oh, so this is why riflemens are a lot more deadly now (noticed a big difference when playing district)
    a lot more bullets hitting me while they are running than before,
    it sometimes feels like turret hitting me :D

i vote for 2.1

14. Trickster

I didn't change anything in that area for this patch. I'm going to stop being lazy and publish a full infantry changelog, because people are imagining too many things that just didn't get changed.

Personally speaking, I prefer more fast paced combat, with people rushing up. But I don't like the way it works currently. I know that this explanation is going to get buried in this thread and 90% of people won't see it, but I'll explain anyway.

Accuracy vs Recoil. Empires generally has both of these systems. Accuracy tends to work by spreading your bullets out from a central point. It works like a cone, and as accuracy decreases, that cone gets wider.

Recoil tends to work by pulling your weapon in a specific direction. A "V-spread" pattern is accuracy and recoil working in conjuction. The direction of the "V" is the recoil, and how wide the "V" is, that's the accuracy working.

Now, 2.12 had MUCH more accurate weapons than we have now. The accuracy values aren't even comparable, 2.12's weapons were way more accurate. The difference was, 2.12 had a considerably higher rate of recoil, especially when standing or moving. This meant that combat really lent itself to crouch-bursting, lasering enemy targets from a long distance. Current combat has a lot less recoil, but with less accuracy as well. You can generally be a lot more mobile and hit the target a lot more whilst moving.

Neither of these systems are ideal, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

This is why I'm redoing things. The fact is, some people prefer the more UT/Quake style of play, others prefer the more BF style of play. I tried to do both with the current scripts, but it just hasn't worked due to residual values (i.e. old shit in the scripts conflicting with what I want to do). This is what I plan to fix when I start over.

My plan is to bring recoil back into play, but in a more predictable way than what 2.12 had. I want it so that, if you put the time in, you can learn to compensate for recoil, and you can be mobile with these weapons. But that, primarily, they do lend themselves to more crouch-based combat. Likewise however, the SMGs will probably still be more accuracy based rather than recoil, allowing them to be more useful for Scout/Engineer.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

arcade combat or bust

also now im a dev you have to listen to me

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

OMG this is armageddon, lamer is a dev... what are you doing?

17. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Hey guys let's replace the entire infantry combat system with original unreal tournament. Fuck your shit I've got a flak gun.

18. Trickster

I fucking loved the flak gun.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Ever played dystopia mod? One of the heavy weapons, the basilisk was basicaly a flak gun for none arcade shooters. Oh dystopia :(