Master Control Terminals

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Minozake, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Minozake

Minozake Member

Alright, so, maybe not the exact name. If this rings a bell, you should know what game this comes from *coughRenegadecough* I did a quick search, and it came up negative.

Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea maybe to be able to have a building's weak spot inside the building, some sort of terminal or something to set explosives near and blow up. However, a couple of problems:

1.) The buildings should probably be more complex.
    2.) Ninjas could ruin gameplay if they were organized going in with teams.
    3.) Vehicles and high explosive shells should shoot the terminal.

They would have to be more complex so people wouldn't be able to ninja the building easily, or so the vehicles couldn't shoot the terminal.

To add to some restrictions, the infantry explosives for this would have to be researched. The scout class could definitely be able to fulfill this slot, too. However, indoor defenses could also be researched to help against this. I don't really like the idea, though, of turrets being able to screw up all infantry going to the terminal to set explosives, though. So maybe the scout gets a special hacking tool that could circumvent blast doors on the path to the terminal?

However, my idea kind of favors buildings that are like a whole new level in itself apart from the field battles, and would be plausible only with AI bots patrolling constantly ( and that would probably take too much CPU time) or indoor turrets.

Anyway, I did like the idea when I played Renegade back when, and I still do. But, no, I am not wanting this game to be a total Renegade remake ^_~ And I wouldn't know how this would fit into the Empires universe.

I only used the term 'terminal' because 'terminal/power core/mysterious thingy' was too long.

2. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I think I suggested something like this a long time ago. Definetely, this wins. Brings into mind the Norwegian heavy water sabotage during WW2, among other commando missions. While making it more difficult yet much more interesting and fun, It would add a lot more depth to ninjaing.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Isn't this was scout sabotage already is? Making a weak spot just ruins the fun imo.

4. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

could be fun, instead of flagmaps we could have sabotage maps with the nf (make the most sense imo as they're the guerilla type...) as the attacking team, objective is to destroy reseach facilities, powerplants, factorys and such in a BE base.

Would be neat if the nf could "reprogram" the base defences to make it fire on ALL targets or maybe just the BE.

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

We should just take the ideas for whole mods and work them into ours

Already we have
    Conquest
    CTF
    Racing (sorta)

We could steal/incorporate the game types of
    Dystopia (if we had sabotage entities)
    Iron Grip (if we had AI)
    Eternal Silence (when we get planes and aircraft carrying blimps)

6. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

Hmmm...
    Activate t3h Master Control Terminal?
    Where are t3h Master Control Terminals?
    All your Master Control Terminals are belong to us?

7. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I'm all for Sabotage maps, but to include them into the game normally... no. I was never a fan of SBHs running into a base & sticking remote mines & time bombs onto the terminal (though a few land mines attached on the walls(Because no one suspects land mines on walls =P) usually took care of that)

8. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I don't see how this is a problem. The purpose of the scout/saboteur class is to work with small teams to infiltrate and destroy the enemy base. Which means that to defend against them you need to stay vigilant.

These ideas were in planning stages for the maintenance tunnels, not sure what happened to those ideas though. I do remember that the tunnels were being held off on until we had dynamic portals.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Damn, sounds like you're not going to enjoy my next map then...

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

lol well it's pretty hard to make holes in existing displacements AFTER you've compiled it..

11. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Actually a map like that sounds cool, but what I was actually talking about was terminals in game, because in Renegade that was the weak spot of the building & the only people usually defending the Terminal are engineers/Techs/Hotwires & unless they have great timing with C4, overmined the entrances, the attacker is lagging, or someone with gun other that a pistol is nearby, that building is gone. I have no objections in a attack/defence map, just weak spots on a building (unless the defending base has turret spam up the ass as soon as the game starts then add weak spots).

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

:*(

*bumps thread*

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Hence the whole "we're going to steal Portal's technology to use it in Empires" idea :p

14. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

You can alter displacements in-game, dynamically, with env_terrainmorph. However, the collision hull isn't changed. That could be fixed if the players just teleported through the collision hull when climbing down the ladders. Another problem would be that if the displacement's verticles are too sparse, the hole will be huge.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

could we use these portals to make craters work?