Marking and the CV

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ikalx, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

A minor gameplay tweak here, but I really feel it has to be done. Played a game the other day where I managed to get up to the enemy comm vehicle and our comm marked it for me. For the next 10 minutes or so, until the end of the game it was still marked allowing me to destroy a vast amount of the things the enemy comm was making and alert my team to his position half the map away.

I don't mind marking, I don't mind the "wallhack" advantage and I don't mind red squares half a map away highlighting things. But on the CV, it is clearly game breaking and needs to be changed.

I propose we make the CVs immune to marking, or have them only have a One Minute duration.

2. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Better a 30 sec duration for everything!

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

all good points, especially this one

4. Valiant

Valiant Member

Do you have any idea how annoying it would be to keep applying orders ever 30 seconds?

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

we already had a thread about this.. my idea was for the targets to dissapear when they get out of a certain range.. dunno if thats possible tho

6. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

That doesn't seem impossible. It would just have to check to see if the target legally shows up on your radar or is not a certain distance away, and if not than the mark is removed.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I read that thread, possibly even commented. However, I'm not against all target marking like you are, so I thought it was wise to differentiate. And Val, that's the point isn't it? I could update my team about every position the enemy CV took, for the whole match!

8. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Personally I wouldn't want a time limit, or a range limit, but rather the target marker disappear after you die. Kinda gives it the whole RTS feel that the soldier is dead & you gotta give the guy fresh out of the barracks new orders.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  9. Drag

Drag Member

I'm with 100% with homeless here. If you die, you lose your targets, thats a good way to do it.

I'm strictly against all the other alternatives like crazy 30 second stuff or range limit. I'd go crazy and never command again. It would lower the tactical value of having a commander that gives you targets big time.

See it this way: The commander often misses hidden players or players that just respawned. THOSE guys will surprise the players that got the comm orders because they have no box around them.

Seriously, making the commanders jobs harder will certainly not do empires good. At the moment MANY Pug and "sub-pug" games suck because one team has "the one decent commander" (teamstacking follows) and the other team has a completely moronic commander no one wants to play under. And taking away capabilities of the commander will just dumb down the game.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

alternatives can be made to the wall hack in my opinion, especially "attack this area". there's no reason why commander should have the right to give their troops such an amazing advantage. i remember watching a player who i could see on camra diamond once intentionally stop right before the corner i was about to shoot out of, and then when he came around the corner he was actually facing directly at me and was firing before he saw me. it felt super lame.

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

How about this:

if the target is within a decent range have the red diamond pop up for the player
    if it is outside of the range an arrow pointing the dude in the right direction but not exactly where.. (eg. somewhere in the north-west)

12. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Well it just means that commander is actually paying attention to his troops & the battle & giving his troops a heads up, plus with with time limit or a range limit it just make the commanders role just that much harder with the troops complaining & looking out for enemy ninjas & scouts sabotaging your base & having a field day sniping your troops, it's nice too at least keep one thing off your mind knowing that your troops know where the enemy is while you're concentrating on important things like researching & securing the base to lessen the risk of being sent airborne.

13. Valiant

Valiant Member

I am strangely compelled to agree with drag/ homeless. Making comming annoying will definitly not help the game, as comms are part of the major selling (hah) point.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

A soldier is only as good as the intel behind him (that's why we don't nuke our allies like some...other countries), how can you be sure he didnt have a camera too?

Homeless...you're right, and it's not the first time it's been said either. If only we could get consensus on it.

15. rat

rat Member

I think targeting for vehicles should disappear after healing on a repair pad and targeting for players should disappear after going to the barracks.