Map Spotlight: emp_cyclopean

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Coffeeburrito, May 9, 2009.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

No, NF win like 3x as much as BE

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

add lines over the minimap on what water you can drive trough or just make it so no water is drivable trough

3. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

The stats for cyclo were rigged.

4. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Reminds me of the times when I used to drown vehicles :rolleyes: .

5. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

I used to really really hate cyclopean. I dont mind it so much now... The problem was that BE used to always get locked in their base and then get artied to death. Atleast thesedays there is more variety to the game outcomes :)

It is probably the laggiest of the official maps though. I play on a laptop and my FPS can become choppy on cyclopean - whereas the other maps are fine.... I assume its because of the giant mass of water in the middle of the map - there is probably very little you can really do about it...

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

[​IMG]
    that is all.

7. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

communism loves me, that's why he drew a J with a circle around it... it's not an arrow, in case anyone was mistaken.

On a more serious note, I've always had better performance on emp_cyclopean than other maps. However, I do feel that the area to the west of BE's starting base needs to be flattened out. NF has an advantage when assaulting BE's base, whereas BE doesn't have an advantage when assaulting NF's base.

As for moving the refinery onto the top of the dam, I don't really care for that idea. It's always been a cut-throat for the dam refinery, imho, and I see no reason to change it.

Overall I like cyclopean as is, but evening out the bases and no-clipping the mountains would be improvements I could certainly live with.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Oddly enough, Cyclopean is the only map I get a bad frame rate on, in the middle. I get like 20fps compared to my usual 60fps on any other official map. Doesn't really bother me though, its still playable.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Cause it renders everything at once, nothing that blocks line of sight.

10. Lumi

Lumi Member

No more rooftop barracks at the city. It makes the city VERY hard to take if the enemy holds it.

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

O_o I have never had an issue with cyclopean. I wasnt aware anyone had anything against it, seemed almost like an empires standard to me.

nor has the map ever felt imbalanced to where the map just hands one team the cake.

12. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

And gentlemen, this is the first sign of a forsaken child

13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Har har.

Cyclo...

Smooth out the NF North ref area a bit to fix a BERAX. That's enough for a good assault position.
    City-Raxes are quite fun, and it's more often than not a stalemate in those situations. Leave them ASIS.
    There's...11 refs in the game, I think. 4 In bases, 2NW, 2SE, 1MID, 4 Outside of bases. The first and last four are the "no-brainer" ones that should always be under control of the nearer base. However, it is inbalanced. If you control MIDREF as BE, you have one NF ref to attack. If you control MIDREF as NF, both BE refs are viable to kill. *Solution* Move one of the refs to higher ground; or move NF REF to lower ground.

14. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

So consensus is to smooth out the area next to BE main like it is near NF and to move the refs near the bases to either both be on a hill or both near the shore.

I agree that the roof rax is kinda annoying since it IS closer to NF and is pretty easy to hold, roofs should be like sniper nests

15. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Updated my post to say what I plan to be doing now.
    Map is symmetrical from Northwest to Southeast, so North dam BE ref is same as west ref.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I like that you cant drop a rax on the rooftop anymore it was just a noobmagnet and didnt help in defending the city in any way

17. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

being able to deny the refineries is not helping?

18. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

no it doesnt help, when I command cyclopean, I PURPOSFULLY let the enemy get city and just harrass them there. Roof barracks are noob magnets, and I take advantage of this and take the rest of the map while I have like 2 AFV's distracting most the enemy on their city roof racks. Its too hard to defend city against guerrilla tactics so you have 5 guys trying to hunt down 1 on a consistent basis meaning less manpower to spread through the rest of the map. Its a strategy and it gets used.

19. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

QFT! City is a problem, but I don't have any good ideas on how to fix it.

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

lol, but bob! Im happy with the way it is! I r gets many cyclopean victorys ^^