Making Reflective Useful

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Evan, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Wouldn't it be cool if reflective armor reflected all MG fire (vehicle or small arms)? So that BIO MG would bounce off and maybe hit the offending vehicle?

2. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Reflective isn't useless, far from it. It's stronger than composite against cannons and MGs, but that would be a very interesting addition. Perhaps it could have a percentage of chance for when this might happen based on the angle of the projectile hitting? So it wouldn't happen every single shot, but sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  3. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

agreed. and i dont think it shoot shoot right back at the attacker, but reflect off at the sensible angle of incidence

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I don't think that you should be able to reflect projectiles back at their origin, that would have to be a perpendicular hit, which is silly. I'm not sure how reflective works, but in my mind, the best option would be multiplying the damage by the angle of impact (so a 100 damage shot at 10% would cause 10 damage)

Actually that sounds pretty strong, but the theory is strong even if the math isn't.

5. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Isn't that essentailly how it works now? I know for sure that Reflective makes shots that do not hit perpendicular much weaker than ones that do.

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Without us knowing how the angle modifier works I don't think we are really in a position to comment.

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Reflective armor deflects projectile damage based on the angle. If a shot is perpendicular to the armor, 100% of the damage is dealt. If a shot is at a 45 degree angle, 50% of total damage is dealt. I have a fudge factor in the code so that the angle is never seen as less than 45 degrees, and the angle against the top is never less than 75 degrees because BE would have a major advantage with their angled armor.

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

Shots actually reflecting if it was below a certain angle would be awesome. :D

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Do you mean angles below 45 aren't calculated? Does that mean every shot against a reflective tank does half damage unless at more than a 45 degree angle?

10. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I think I was confusing you and changed the terms in my post. If 90 degrees is perpendicular, then 90 degrees to 45 degrees does 100% to 50% damage linearly. Anything less than 45 degrees is 50% damage.

11. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

and all we have to do is hit the top to kill the tank nicely? splendid.

do these angles work well against splash damage? (I never know quite how splash damage works against armour, is it reduced to take account of it probably being less armourpiercing than a direct hit with a shell?)

12. Opie

Opie Member

Is that true on all axis? If so wouldn't nf have an advantage because they can shoot straight and he a afv where as an afv has to shoot down. Meh, doesn't matter, close battles suck.

13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I noticed the angle modifier is now 1 on reflective and not .5. What effect would this have? Anyone know?

14. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Its never been .5

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

stuff bouncing off at really low incidence levels would be just AWESOME though. not sure if it's possible... but the crossbow in HL2 can richochet so why can't bullets :p

16. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I remember when the stuff would bounce of the NF rax, that was a very good eye candy effect.

17. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I like the idea that bullets would bounce off if the angle would be enough small. As half of the 45 degrees or something. Making it to 22,5 degrees. Or maybe just make it so that some of the bullets which are shot to reflective armor under 22 degrees would bounce off.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I didn't want to do that because I thought it would make it too powerful.

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

"Angle Modifier" "1" // was 0.5

The scriptz lie

20. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

it would be nice to have an armor that countered vehicle MGs though