Making a construction site map (emp_industrial)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by BitterJesus, Sep 2, 2009.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I'm VERY new at mapping, and I've always found it that all of the maps are missing something. The action so to speak. They are either too spread out, or too cluster-fucky. I want to make district, without the stalemates.

It's going to be set in a construction site, which I think is a very easy thing to make as everything will be blocky.

So far, I only have spawn points created, they are very very very basic.

Brenodi is suppose to have an air assault, and NF are supposedly building shit when suddenly the construction site becomes a battlefield (gasp).

There will be a flag in each corner on the map as well as the middle flag.

I want to make the map so that there won't be that 1 area that you just HAVE to go through or you won't be able to pass the map, but not make it to the point where you can't possibly defend all possible way points.

No screenshots yet. I'm taking architecture ideas. Give me some challenging ideas so I can get some practice.

Chances are, I won't even go far with this map, but more like a training map for me.

DO NOT EXPECT IT TO LOOK GOOD. I'M GOING PURELY FOR GAMEPLAY AND HIGH FPS.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

- care for acessibility (2+ routes per faction to each "chokepoint")
    - provide "one way routes" (you can jump down but not up)
    - let players flank and or get into their enemies back (best with "one way routes")
    - make the map "multidimensional" (accessible upper floors, bridges, ...)
    - provide lots of cover if its going to be an infantry based map (even if there are tanks)

use images.google.com for inspiration ^^

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Add like tons of unbuilt things which you can build.

4. OuNin

OuNin Member

I like the concept.

5. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Yeah, I've already thought of that, but you brought it back to my mind.

Thanks.

I have this idea, that I should make the middle flag ONLY accessible by building stairs up to it on either side, and one side will only be accessible for BE and other for NF, is there any way to make a clip that blocks only 1 team?

If I forgot to state it, it'll be an infantry map.

6. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

There won't be vehicles, and as for bridges etc, I'm not very sure. I'll try to create the illusion of having multiple floors by having high stacks of concrete, but nothing fully "built" so to speak. It'll be something that would be used by workers.

7. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Make like an upper level in the surrounding buildings, stretching across much of the map, accessible with elevators, for an alternative route.

8. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I want the player to be able to fire at enemies at both floors at the same time, which was kind of a problem with district, which devided levels into 2 parts.

I'm thinking if I should make the middle a bleeder which will be pretty much a deathtrap, or, make turtling obsolete by having the spawn of either team on the lower ground which will be spamable by turrets (more problems).

If I want to make 3 flags, 2 of which would be required in order for the enemy team to start bleeding, how would I go about doing that?

3 flags, if one team controls 2 of them, then the other team loses tickets. Either one of them can be capped at any given time with no order of capture. I want to make this so that the losing team can organize to push in the same direction thus outnumbering the enemy 2:1 but possibly losing due to main flag capture or good defense. District fails in this means also.

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

so the HMG camper on the top floor can rape all?

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Try and make sure people can see the overall layout fairly easily, otherwise it will make their little heads overheat very easily.

11. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I'll try and make all spots where HMGers can camp either flat open resulting in instant death, or at least a spot where nobody should be in the first place.

12. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I like this idea. I can't wait to see if this turns out. All the advice so far is great.

Try to make HMG camp spots easily flank-able. So an HMG guy can set up there, but he has to constantly watch his back.

13. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Yes, I'll make sure that camping on upper levels of unbuilt buildings will be a hindrance to own team, but a great spot to ambush an HMG who's not expecting a strike from above.

EDIT:|'ll describe the map a bit.

The BE spawn is a concrete frame which has suffered a crash landing (and has a broken roof)

NF spawn is a "lunch break" area, where workers can chill around etc.

The middle flag will be under a crane

Southwest flag is a water pump control center, northeast has an electricity generator.

I've been thinking about making it so that if 1 team has both northeast and southwest, they could create a mini-flood in the middle and run electricity through it (through buttons etc) damaging the players. The problem is that I'm not experienced enough to implement it so that BOTH of the buttons have to be initiated in order for the middle to be damaged. I'll look into more tutorials and figure this problem out.

Problems so far:

BE Airship as well as NF Broken_Commander don't show up when I compile the map.

I also intend to make the map in a stormy weather (func_precipitationx%100x5) with lightning and the accompanying sounds.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

got any screens? flasche likes screens ...

... please make flasche happy with screens - look how sad he is atm :(

15. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

It's pretty empty atm, but since you're eager I'll give you one.

A lot of the models don't show up, I don't really know why

What you're seeing is what is yet to be the middle flag, the bridge (unaccessible sorry; notice the fallen train) and the BE spawn (I deleted some stuff from there because it looked stupid in game and it looks empty now too)[

[​IMG]

This was the first test with lighting and I didn't like it much, I will have to test different methods.

Keep in mind, I'm nowhere near completion, I only tested the light to see how it would come out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the train, as you see isn't touching the ground. In that area I plan to make a concrete that dried out with the train inside.

16. Firedrill

Firedrill Member

make a button to arty the middle flag in both teams bases, itll be a lolmap!

17. Omneh

Omneh Member

Try changing the entity type of the models that are not showing up to prop_dynamic. (disable shadows if your fps drops too much)

The BE Dropship and broken NF Commander don't work with prop_static, and I'm assuming thats the case for the rest of the models that are not showing up.

18. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I'll make middle a deathspot if you have control of sw and ne

19. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

What exactly is the difference?

I can only assume that prop_dynamic can be moved/altered?

20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Bridge access would be awesome.

Also nice fallen train, I like that effect.

Also, if you are EVER going to take a screenshot, just for the screenshot, put Anisotropic filtering on 16x. Although AF doesn't usually use up much FPS anyway, but it's worth it for a screenshot.