Make required/common map files download automatically ...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Omega_K2, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

Make required map files download automatically ... like in css.
    In css, <mapname>.nav files will download automatically. Why doesn't emp do this with the other map files it requires/map files regulary used?

I am talking about:

materials/maps/<mapname>.vmt
    materials/maps/<mapname>.vtf
    resource/maps/<mapname>.txt
    scripts/soundscapes_<mapname>.txt
    materials/vgui/maps/menu_thumb_<mapname>.vmt
    materials/vgui/maps/menu_thumb_<mapname>.vtf

This should prevent issues with custom .res files and eventually even remove the requirement for them entirly (if the map doesn't use custom textures).
    It is less work for the mapper.

It isn't much work to check the corresponding folders for the above files and add them to the download list.

And if the mapper wants to call some of these default files differently or wants to locate them differently, he can still add this to the map cycle.

EDIT: Move to Suggestions please. Accidentally posted in the wrong board >_<

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i just realised the rez file can be used as a delivery system to add a trojan into the players computer starting a server with the same map that appears full etc and anyone joining would undergo the same effect

that is if i include it in a map and stuff, but it should work and it could take down the entire empires mod community for a couple of days

3. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

You can append torjans/viruses to images... so..?

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you can append a virus to a map that players automatically download and "use" when they join a server hosting that map
    you can make a server change all the map res files to include the virus with every map that is downloaded from the infected server

the virus would not show up on virus scanners because its just a program that changes a line of text in a text file... and once a server is infected it ONLY provides it to anyone downloading a map from that server, so servers who are infected would appear normal and to the users everything would appear normal too besides that they seem to have lots of lag
    the lag being there client hosting a server that appears near-full (so more players think that's a good server) with a map that is actually just a res file with the virus and perhaps deliberately a false bsp to make players disconnect as soon as they actually run the map, thinking its just corrupted or something

theoretically its quite possible, perhaps even already done *looks around worried*

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  5. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Maps aren't executed so I doubt that would work. Maybe fuzzing the bsp format for some time could reveal a security hole but I doubt that that would be worth it.

6. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

As far as I know, Valve designed the .res file system into the engine. I don't think we can't change that.

However, mappers have the ability to pack all resources into a single bsp file, solving this problem in a much easier way. (ask John Shandy how)

7. Brutos

Packing your materials isnt nice, if you make something everyone should be able to profit from it. It's not like anyone is making any money with it.

8. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

You don't need to. All I want is making these file autodownload eleminating the need to put them into .res files. I even could do a server plugin with this feature, so it certainly should lie inside the capabilities of modmakes.
    --> Why don't I do a plugin? Because not all servers are likly to run it and everyone should benefit from such a featuer, regardless the way they want to run their srever.

I know, one of the reasons why I posted my guide was that people didn't bspzip at all and put everything into their resfile. I prefer bspzipping over .res, but making the files autodl would elminate the need for both, putting them into res and putting them into bsp (unless you want your map files all to be in one location, your map).

Blizzered: I don't really get how this realtes to the topic.

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You don't have to name the minimap texture files exactly like the map file name, you could call it anything, as long as you reference it properly in the minimap resource file, it'll be used.
    It's also easier for the server owners to know what files are actually being sent to players, and control that.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Or you could just ask shandy for the files he uses.

Packing maps reducing the UL and DL time for servers. Other than that, it doesn't server much use.

11. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

The whole point of packing the files is so that your download doesn't take near the time as it would to download each file seperatly, so we pack all the un-necessary files into the bsp. You can unpack the bsp just as easy as it is to pack it. It's not like we're hidding crap into the bsp, it's a file size issue when we do it, and plus you can ask chris writing a 200 line .res is really annoying especially when it's one line that causing the map to screw up and you can't find that one damn line.

12. Brutos

Well the problem is that you then have the same material several times.

13. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

explain...

14. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

He is talking about multiple map versions or maps using shared files. But, you a) don't run 100 versions of the same map, b) you can delete old versions if you need to

For my oppionion about what should go to bsp and whatnot, look here:
    http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Releasing_a_Map

Otherwise keep in mind that the download bar is incredibly buggy and people tend to leave because they think the map isn't downloading.
    If you have a lot of files to be download the download of the hugest file, the map only takes 1 or 2 bars and the remaing bars are used by small texture files.

15. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Yes the download bar is extremly glitchy, and i didn't see a portion on what should be in the bsp and what shouldn't have in the bsp.

But i would like to hear what Brutos was talking about, maybe i can clear something out.

16. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

This is still not moved to the apprionate board >_>
    Is a dev considering this or do I need to harass them and stalk them until they fear me so much they'll add it? :X (jk ...maybe :P)