Make refineries a map thing.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by LordDz, Nov 6, 2010.

?

Do you like this suggestion?

1. Yes

38.5%
  2. No

46.2%
  3. I don't care and will make the thread go offtopic in 3 posts

15.4%
  1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

having to wait 30 seconds to recap is only more irritating? You have to wait 30 seconds anyways as things are now.

Also, a vehicle could roll around, destroy a ref node, wait 30 seconds for the husk to disappear WHILE capturing the point, and then move on. I would disagree with the idea of making it in any way prebuilt but not giving res for x amount of time. Maybe have it auto build itself over x amount of time (same time frame we are talking to make up for 100 res in res growth).

As far as the strategic part of canyon: Do you want to push as infantry or play defensive then roll out tanks and apcs and push? That is the strategic decision. I've seen both infantry and tanks win rounds on canyon. As you have said, removing the commanders ability to decide how soon to place those refineries and what not really affects the game. It by no means ends the game if you don't give up.

I don't think you understand every facet of the system as it is. And I also don't think that leaving this up to individuals on the team is any better than leaving this up to the commander. In the end, it will probably end up being the commander yelling at the mic for refineries rather than team members.

2. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

No, now you just have to get an engineer over there to rebuild the refinery, under this system you have to destroy the refinery and then recapture it. Allowing scouts to build refineries while hidden or be able to flip refineries single handedly is going to make any open map a big PITA.

I am not sure what you are suggesting here, does the order go:

1. Destroy refinery
    2. Capture flag (takes 30 s)
    3. Wait for refinery to build itself
    4. Receive resource flow

Because if it does then there are a number of questions raised. Can the building process be sped up by engineers or e-building? Do you use resource from before or after the multipliers have been taken into account?

Well as far as strategy goes, you can only be strategic to the extent that your team allows you to. I don't make those sorts of decisions as commander, in fact I cannot make them. I can place a VF and tell people to get vehicles when they die, I can research good equipment for them, I can even build some vehicles from the VF but at the end of the day it is still up to the players to get vehicles and use them. I have lost several games because people would not get vehicles, we were swimming in res and had the right tech but people just did not buy vehicles. All I can do is encourage a mechanised approach, it is up to the players to implement it and for the time being the mechanised approach is going to be the best one.

The strategic implications of build order are less noticeable, partly due to barracks becoming 200 res again and partly due to resources just being more plentiful. The time it was most important was on canyon as BE, back when a barracks cost 400 res to place. Then if you placed refineries too early you would not be able to barracks up both the north and the south middle, allowing the enemy to push though and putting you at least 1 refinery down. NF had slightly more leeway in placing their barracks as their refs were further away from the choke points but it still put you in a disadvantage if you messed it up.

Well I don't expect it will lead to me yelling at my team less, it will however lead to them yelling at me less and the latter situation is the more difficult. Until there are better tools available I will still have to say; get refineries, get vehicles, enemy rush heading for main, enemy scout in the vf and rifleman hiding in the hills over there. What I will not have to do is stop doing what I am doing to find the guy who wants a ref, place the ref and then go back to what I am doing, removing these interruptions will allow me to spend more time doing other things and if you are stuck for things to do as a commander then you are either about to win (in which case you should be extra vigilant for ninjas) or you are not using your powers to their fullest.

3. Demented

Demented Member

That's why you build walls around it. Scouts can't decon them.

Also, that res loss is closer to 2-4 res/sec, because of the player multiplier. If there's less than 12 people on the server, that scout in a jeep is 20% of their manpower in a very resource-limited game.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I know yo, why you yellin' at me? I KNOW!!! BUT THE COMMANDER WILL HAVE NEXT TO NOTHING CONSTANT TO DO IF YOU REMOVE REF PLACEMENT RIGHT NOW. I WANT IT REMOVED AS IT IS, BUT AFTER WE GET THOSE TOOLS. OKAY?

5. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

True dat, see that's how you have to disprove my point LordDZ, with simple facts ... :D

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But you would still have to sit and spam ref ref ref and walls walls walls for it :)

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if you got a comm that fails to drop refs all the time, prebuilt refs wont save you either, since he probably fucks up the rest too. if your comm is decent and you have to wait for a ref, hes probably busy doing something else, so better wait or run off and do other shit.

8. LordDz

Or he's being attacked, the map has made placing refineries a hard thing, he doesn't notice the text due all spam in the text log, he's placing several of them, his commander view gets stuck in the skybox, there's ammoboxes placed next to the refineries, there's people next to the refineries, he's lagging.

Just some out of my head ;)

And why should a whole team be killed if the commander fails?

9. FN198

FN198 Member

This is a far better alternative to LordDz's suggestion.

10. LordDz

Thank you.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i just quote it and you think about what i wrote before ;)

12. recon

recon SM Support Dev

FFS just replace the commander with an AI. No targets, and now no refs? Fuck that.