Make fission engine drive back the same speed as forward

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Reef, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Reef

Reef Member

The problem is that fission engine is very rarely used.
    • Coolant engine has the best heat managment
    • Bio-diesel is cheap and it never stalls
    • 3phase is the fastest one and has good heat managment
    • Gas turbine is near composite armour (It's barely a pro... I think it should have less weight, if some players will state that this is a good idea we will create a new topic for that suggestion).
    • Fission has nothing. It overheats easily, its fast and accels nice, but currently almost noone wants to use it.

The idea is to make fission engine be able to retreat driving backwards the same speed that You can drive forward. That would lead to no-armour-on-back, because You can retreat with Your front faced to the enemy. Great for nuke tanks that would drive in closely, fire, retreat.
    This is a minor change, it's coding time is minimal, but fission engines could have their chance.

Comments please (especially I would like to hear some constructive cons).

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I dont think fission oversheats easily... I could be wrong.. But I really like this idea but maybe it can be for a different engine when the research stuff gets changed

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i like this idea too... it's origional and useful.

4. Reef

Reef Member

Ever tried to dodge enemy missiles while shooting cannon and having fusion? Try it. You will overheat like in 5s doing that (pretty short tank fight with a sad end).

The idea is cool because the fission reactor is bipolar so You switch polarity and You just change direction, no need for a special rear-gear in the gearbox.

What are You talking about??

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

ive got no idea; i dont think ive ever used fission.

but thats kinda ur point.

5* - I'm feeling generous

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yes I use fission(not fusion) alot and I always shoot all my HE shells(constantly no stoping) and machine guns with out overheating.. And I dunno how dodgeing enemy missles would over heat you..

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=115714&postcount=17

7. thaile

thaile Member

Well I think most of the engines, beside coolant, has a heat dissipation of 8, so if you're sitting still it's not really a problem. It's when you start moving that the engine diffences come in to play. Fission has the highest heat produce at full throttle out of all the engines, so yeah if you're shooting cannon while dodging missiles you'll overheat faster then just sitting somewhere and shooting.

As it is right now fission has the second highest speed and the highest acceleration, but the high heat and out of the way research really prevent most people from using it. Giving it the ability to retreat faster might make people use this more often.

If this was added at that you would need to do was change the "Max Reverse Speed" in the engine config file, so coding not an issue.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I'm interested in what Krenzo would think of this, it's a simple change and would make fission unique, the only issue I see with this is that fission is twice as fast as coolant and has good heat dissipation since 2.0. It's already a good engine and being able to go at top speed in reverse would mean that it could become extremely hard to take down such a tank, let alone chase it, as it can go in reverse at the same speed you drive forward, or in the case of coolant and gas turbine it would be able to backup faster than you can go forward.

9. Reef

Reef Member

If what grapehead is saying is true, it only means that the engine description doesn't fit its coded settings
    I think grapehead is wrong at that point and fission engine heats much when moving & shooting.

Even if it doesn't do that, almost noone uses it so we could add The Feature to make it more popular.

This is being discussed and some (most?) players agree that we don't need more kinds of engines/armour now.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  10. holylucifer

holylucifer Member

And when you drive backwards or stop the heat from the engine goes alot quicker rather than going forwards.

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The problem is that the engine cools slower when you are moving ,so when dodging missles and shooting at the same time ,you overheat alot faster.

/ontopic

hmm i like that idea, it woudl make fis eng more usefull.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Ok but If your moving backwards and shooting your moving faster due to recoil.. I use fission all the time and heat has never been a problem in motion.. All I have to do is just not shoot constantly

13. Reef

Reef Member

Man You really need to take Your time to decide what to say when the police will come to ask You something :)

Turning while riding backwards with full speed would make You spin (and remember You have no back armour, so spinning is really bad). You can only backup straight or almost straight. Even then, You are going for repairs, not going to kill the enemy faster. Only diffrence between 3phase and fission will be that You don't need to turn 180 degree to fall back with 2*coolant speed.

Look, You invented a good way to counter Coolant with fission and You invented a nice feature of 3phase (thats the engine that is very effective against "fission riders"!). Finally people will use diffrent kinds of engines for diffrent kinds of enemies (like they do it with armour now). I guess that's the purpose of vehicle customization. You need to be flexible, game is not as easy as coolant/compo/rails = win.

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Does anybody else specifically target the back armour of CV's when they find the CV in their light tank, so you can get shots into the hull as it drives away? it's helped me loads (and also got me killed by other clever cats)

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I just tell them I dont know nothing! haha but seriously I was talking about sitting still during the first quote and the 2nd one is in motion.. I never overheat for either.. Im not gonna shoot constantly in motion because I wont hit anything.. I just shoot 1 shell every other second to pick up speed.. which is pretty much what you want this engine to do

edit: Im probably coming off agianst your idea but I actually really like it.. Fission is my favorite engine right now because it never over heats and is fast enough to get out of trouble.. so im not sure it needs this boost unless somthing is changed to make it not as good as it is.. You keep saying no one uses it but thats not true because its always used when I play.. I could say the same about a different engine yet its probably used alot in games I dont play

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I like this idea.

It would be nice to test this idea and yes fission engine's cooling rate is a bit bad.

It's cooling rate on the move is as good as Bio Diesel's cooling rate on the move. That means it cools 4 units per second. All the other engines except Standard engine and Bio Diesel have a lot faster cooling rate on the move.

Check the wiki:
    http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Vehicle_Engine_Appendix

So in my opinion this would be nice feature. Give it some advantages.

17. Bleeding Internet

Bleeding Internet Member

This sounds like it would be a rather nice addition; at the moment Fission seems sort of like a joke engine...

18. Namst

Namst Member

I've gotta say, in my experience, the Fission reactor has wonderful heat dissipation, far better than Bio-Desiel (*DISREGARD*I think I remember reading somewhere that on the move, Bio Desiel can pull 5 shots and Nuclear Fission can pull 11 shots with the standard cannon*DISREGARD*), and in the rare event that you begin to overheat, sitting still for only a second or two will get you back in the yellow. I agree that so far, fission has little to offer specifically over the other engines, and should be changed drastically. However, fission is a wonderfully powerful tool already, at least in experienced hands, and is currently not in any state of desperate requirement of being buffed up.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  19. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Namst, did you read the wiki?

On the MOVE BOTH ENGINES have the same heat management.

Bio Diesel Engine

* Cost: 20 / 50 / 70
    * Weight: 20

Speed: (50 / 40 / 25)
    Horsepower: (2610)
    Stall Resistance: (200% / 200% / 120%)
    Heat Management: (5 / 4)

Fission Reactor

* Cost: 20 / 50 / 70
    * Weight: 20

Speed: (70 / 60 / 35)
    Horsepower: (2575)
    Stall Resistance: (100% / 60% / 90%)
    Heat Management: (7 / 4)

As you can see, both engines have heat dissipation rate of 4 while moving so I wonder where did you get that kind of information that Fission can keep on shooting till 11 standard cannon's shells whereas Bio Diesel can keep on shooting till 5 shells.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yes.. but doesnt bio heat up faster while shooting and fission cool down faster while sitting still?

Its a great engine, I dont think you guys use it enough if you think it sucks.. And its fast :) If It were to do the same speed in reverse I would say slow it down