make engi lock the height of his wall

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by w00kie, Dec 25, 2008.

1. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Imagine u are engineer and build a wall with stair-wall behind, now some engi n00b comes and destroys your great structure (ladder, grenn/rifleman-bunker) by building up your stairs to full wall height.

definition:
    -engineer has a button in his build menu to lock his particially build wall
    -doesnt work on a "green" fully build wall
    -only usable on his own placed walls
    -comm can't unlock, but still destroy
    -locked walls have an red [locked] sign, when an engi faces them with his calculator

PROs:

-easier struture creation
    -n00b friendly
    -less shouting at engi n00bs

CONs:
    -none afaik

2. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

Your face just got crushed to a pulp by my stamp of approval arriving at supersonic speed.

3. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

This is so usefull, sometimes when you build ladders, tunnels, stairs, bunkers, ect. A noob comes in an ruins it.

Stamp of Aproval

4. Demented

Demented Member

Someone finally suggested it.

Though, skip the red locked icon, and instead just make the wall have a green health bar, indicating that it's a 'finished' building and won't raise anymore if you try to repair it.

Question:
    Should it be possible to continue repairing a locked wall until is as durable as a fully-built wall? Or, once a locked wall is built, should its health be capped with respect to how much of it was built? (E.g. If you lock an unbuilt wall, it won't grow any further, but you can repair it back to that level of health if it gets damaged.)

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Trouble here is that locking each wall section in a large wall would be fiddly as hell.

A better idea is to simply make a low wall prop, and a high wall prop, that way you get better looking low walls, and can easily build walls for different purposes, and their purpose is immediately apparent at a distance.

You could just sew together the top and bottom of the existing walls, and maybe remove the NF wall's barbed wire for the short version.

6. w00kie

@Chris0132' I don't like that Idea. don't u think its also fiddly if u have to choose between different wall props to build?

locking walls shall just be an use- and powerfull gimmick to the fast wallplacement system we allready have. I think, A player that does some tricky wall building with stairs and stuff, will also have the time left over to lock his creation.

I missed one point in the Definition:

-when u've locked a wall, the LOCK button in your engi menu turns to UNLOCK when facing a locked wall

EDIT: I hate the barbed wire ontop of all the NF walls, it creates FPS drop when I look at it, was much worse in 2.12 but is still notable. And I dont thing its fair to have stuff on top of your unbuild NF wall that u can shoot trough, but can't be seen from distance trough it :(

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  7. gezor

gezor Member

good idea, would be usefull.

8. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

What about, you got 2 walls in your wall menu, locked and open walls. Both use the same wall variable. A locked wall can be unlocked by looking at it and pressing unlock, and unlocked once can be locked the same way, by pressing lock.
    Locked wall can only be build by your self, unlocked wall can be build by everyone.
    And I fully agree, the dammed barbed wire should be removed off the NF walls.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Clicking a different button on the wall menu (like an ML or an MG turret) is a lot easier than going along a whole line of walls locking each one at a specific height.

10. De_Ghost

De_Ghost Member

lol i love shooting ppl through the barb wires tho

11. w00kie

sorry, but chris and satanchilds ideas are horrible, if locking gets implemented like they want, I'm out.

Dementeds thoughts about the green health bar just apear as it is locked is also good, it doesnt skrew the whole idea about it.

Guys just keep it simple and easy to use. I don't get what takes so long on locking every wall after building? Since this whole locking-idea aint supossed to construct long wall fences, its for the ppl that build bunkers, steps, stairs, hideouts, bridges, whatever.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  12. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

You can build them locked and unlocked, locked ones can be unlocked and unlocked once can be locked. Only if it is your own wall.

Or would you rather lock every wall manualy? In a warzone, engineers don't have time for that.

Ofcourse it could be done easier,

Fast Double-click to either lock unlocked walls or unlocked locked walls. This way you can do it fast and simple.

13. w00kie

suggested mostly like I introduced it

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

right click -> lock button or recycle button.

much easier.

15. w00kie

yeah, exact what I want.
    not more, not less

16. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

double-click very fast? Lock/Unlock? I think thats easier...

17. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

I think locking is a good idea, it just needs some fine-tuning in beta versions (to be done in private servers).

18. Spooky

Spooky Member

How do you know something needs fine tuning when it isn't out yet?

19. Demented

Demented Member

More importantly, how do you fine tune this suggestion?

It's got practically no variables!

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Just because I can think of a better implementation than you doesn mean you should reject it on the grounds I'm better at it than you are.