Make empty vehicles take more damage and repair slower.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Meliarion, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

The suggestion is that vehicles without a driver take more damage and are repaired much more slowly than vehicles with a driver. This will allow empty vehicles to be destroyed much more quickly and will prevent people jumping out of their tanks to repair them, encouraging tanks to take an engineer along with them.
    Pros:
    • Reduce the ability for lone tanks to run off and repair themselves
    • Encourage teamwork
    Cons:
    • Useless?
    • Hacky
    Alternatives:
    • Make CV immune

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  2. Alceister

Alceister Member

Empty tanks taking more damage is something that might be useful if say, the enemy leaves an APC in your base after rushing, but it won't be so much in the case of drivers repairing their own vehicles. Repair is still repair, and it is still more convenient if done by yourself, mainly because people rarely follow you for repairs and a few dedicate themselves to repairing vehicles in the heat of battle.

3. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

con: more time spent holding left mouse button watching sperming.

It's still gonna happen, but people will be more pissed off because they waste time.

4. [D3]Leroy Jenkins

[D3]Leroy Jenkins Member

No reason to make it repair slower. Don't like the idea of being forced to take someone with you that you don't have too. That engineer could be doing more useful things then baby sitting a tank. I like the idea of empty tanks taking more damage because many times people abandon tanks they never get destroyed and other people can't build new ones because of vehicle limit being so low.

Jumping out of you tank to repair it is fine i mean its not so bad that you can do it in the middle of combat try it and see how fast you get run over i see no reason for this.

5. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I like it.

However, there needs to be a clear way to show that this is occurring. Maybe the sparks are a different color or something.

This would also work really well with the ramping up repair speed idea. That idea is the more recent the damage you took, the slower you will repair. this encourages people to get out of the firefight, retreat, and re-arm+repair there.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Slower repair on empty tank I like, not so much for the damage part, but i'm meh about that.

7. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

This should encourage people to use their tanks in groups, that way you just need 1 engineer to repair all the tanks. Ideally the group of tanks would be supported by riflemen and grenadiers as well as engineers but that is not very likely.

8. Alceister

Alceister Member

No it wouldn't. People will still go about doing things the old way, because no matter how you nerf it, repairing your own vehicle is infinitely more convenient than getting someone else to do it for you, other than by driving to a repair yard.

9. Mashav

Mashav Member

They already did nerf it. If you didn't notice, Heavys take longer to repair then it takes to build a rax. 1 sticky to an empty hull of a heavy takes 150 engi ammo to repair with repair upgrade.

So ya.... People still do it, its just harder.

10. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

You already have an advantage if you bring a engineer with you. No need to keep forcing people to work in groups by nerfing singles and buffing groups. Tehres an innate advantage to having more than one person. Players can either choose to take advantage of it or they cannot. The sooner they take advantage of teamwork, the sooner they realize how much better they can be.

11. Alceister

Alceister Member

Problem is, they don't, and will continue to insist on independent action because once again, convenience.

12. Empty

Empty Member

Getting out of a tank already makes the vehicle and the driver extremely vulnerable, even in friendly turf.
    Awful idea.

13. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

If you are staying with your team then there should be an engineer nearby who can repair your tank. If you are going off on your own then you have to deal with the consequences, such as taking regenerative armour or falling back for repairs.

This makes empty tanks more vulnerable, why dose this make it a bad idea? People were complaining about the fact that tanks can easily just drive away and repair on their own, this would discourage that.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

once again i must say i dont like hacky solutions

something bettet imo would be to give tanks heat when they are repaired or something, so they cannot drive away that quick if they are alone while in group the group will protect them

still far from perfect though, i see that myself :/

15. Alceister

Alceister Member

This doesn't provide a tangible benefit to teamwork either. And empty vehicles taking more damage isn't much of a disadvantage either: if threatened, the driver can hop back into the vehicle and drive even further away or fend off the threat, as they usually do.

So once again: it will not discourage independent action neither will it encourage teamwork. You might as well not have this mechanic in the first place.

Also, a real and present disadvantage to this idea is when it is applied to the Commander. A real team-spirited comm usually helps out his team by building structures to allow them to hurry to the front and grab land or resources. If the comm were to get killed while doing this, this makes the CV even more vulnerable than usual and an enemy ninja squad can more easily destroy it before the team has time to react.

16. [D3]Leroy Jenkins

[D3]Leroy Jenkins Member

That is in an ideal world when everyone works together and listens to each other, How many times has that happened outside of clan matches. In normal empires games save maybe 1 or 2 cooperation is at a minimum. And getting everyone to attack in groups Nye on impossible. its a good idea but in the real world; in real games no chance

17. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Except the vehicle will be damaged from the last fight that it had as the driver will not have had the time to fully repair it. It he has to drive further away why not drive to where some of his team are and get them to fix the tank? What is he doing so far from the rest of his team in the first place?

If the tank driver finds that he cannot repair the tank by himself in a timely manner or do so without being interrupted then he is more likely to retreat to his team for repairs. If he has to do so often then he will stick by the rest of his team where he can fend off enemy tanks and support them in their attacks.

CV rushing was a tactic which lead to quick rather bad games with victory almost exclusively resting on the commander's driving and shooting skills, relying on a CV rush to secure you ground is a very risky option and if it fails you have almost certainly lost. A ninja squad that finds the command vehicle unmanned has a bonus, but it does not make much difference as the 8-mine ninja relies on flipping the CV and the rest would take enough weapons with them to do the job properly. Although the CV should probably be excluded from this because of its importance to the game but if an empty CV is getting attacked then something has usually gone badly wrong before it.

In public games I have found that parking a damage vehicle near friendly units and saying "I need repairs" usually gets my tank repaired. If new players see people repairing tanks then they will repair tanks or get other to repair their tanks more. On servers with low tank limits the second seat does often get filled by players who need a lift to the front lines.

18. Alceister

Alceister Member

Against infantry, the tactic of driving away is fine, or even gunning or running them down. Against vehicles, repairing that close is not viable either now or under your suggestion, so there's no difference.

My reasoning why making empty vehicles repair more slowly and take more damage will not have a significant impact on gameplay is simply this: drivers will still be able to repair their own vehicles. And unless you nerfed that aspect so badly that it is no longer an option, it will still be infinitely preferable to having someone else do it.

It's mostly a matter of psychology but there are practical reasons too. Unless advanced deployment has been researched or a barracks is close by, infantry are not going to be in the vicinity of vehicles most of the time.

You also fail to account for the drivers in question. Unless it's a heavy tank long-range slugfest, vehicles will rarely be still enough for you to actually repair them. The main combat area for vehicles tends to be a lot further ahead than infantry.

You could get an Engineer to ride shotgun, but then there's the question of him actually staying with you the whole way to repair you as needed, and frankly, that's too boring for most people.

----------

I don't mean comm rushing: using the comm vehicle to seize objectives ahead of your team. I mean comm securing objectives behind the team. Building up refineries near base so that your team can go forward without stopping, or going around in what is nominally your territory to set up a forward base or refinery.

Normally you wouldn't be in danger. But sometimes you will be. And in other occasions the frontline is going to be a lot closer than you would predict. And in another case, if you get wallblocked by Engineers, the only way you can resolve it is by jumping out and deconning the walls. If you get killed, then under your system the CV will likely die before you or anyone else can get back to it.

----------

Of course as you have said, comm can be made an exception.

But my argument that this will not significantly impact gameplay still stands. Unless you manage to implement it in such a way that repairing your own vehicle is not even a feasible option or an option at all, DIY is always going to be preferable over relying on your team.

Of course, I have no real opposition to this idea except in the case of the comm vehicle. All I am saying is that the suggestion's intended effect will not be achieved.