magnet cannon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Avair, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Avair

Avair Member

an upgrade that would be in the physics section, it would let players choose to replace the normal top side of a med tank with a magnet cannon, the magnet cannon would be used to keep enemy tanks from running away from battle, pull down aircraft, etc and maybe pull infantry? basically a magnet with no other weaponry

2. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Would it be a solenoid so you could turn it off?

3. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Ally: "WHY IS THE COMM MOVING INTO THE LAKE"
    Enemy: "lol suckers"

4. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Or, maybe like a physcannon for jeeps?

Then you'd have to put crap all over all the maps for them to launch at people.

Yay, crap!

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this is actually a fantastic suggestion! i mean REALLY good! one of the few benefits of the source engine is the physics, and this would actually make pretty good use of it. whether it's actually useful, I don't know, but it's a cool idea.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

A magnet can be toggled by sending electrical currents trough it, but for large ones it requires a lot of power.

7. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Or why not give the magnet for jeeps?

The point in this would be that you can't pull CV to water as one small jeep because you just start pulling yourself towards the CV but when you have a group of 5-3 jeeps, they would start to pull the CV towards themselves and not the other way around.

This way one medium tank couldn't pull everyone to water.

And if it gets too overpowered with jeeps, maybe make the magnet require fission engine to provide enough power to provide enough big amounts of electricity for the magnet and the heat bar would raise over time. The longer you hold your fire and keep the magnet on the higher your heat goes and if it is just possible, when you have reached the red end of the bar and you are still holding your fire the jeep's hull starts to take damage and you eventually blow up.

8. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

hmm..this idea has sparked an idea of its own in my noggin.

Perhaps we could have similar techs on each team, but they'd be different

For instance, Brenodi could get a magnet cannon [ or a tractor beam if your a sci-fi geek ] which could have a stronger effect the closer you are to the target, and the northern faction could have a sort of grappling hook that has a medium - close range, where its fired from a turret slot, such as a red slot, and could hook onto the enemy vehicle and slowly "reel" them in.

Sort of like a winch, or a harpoon.

-shrugs-:unsure:

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Make sure that a jeep would be pulled towards a larger vehicle and not pull larger vehicles.

-_- Funny though it would be, a jeep flying through with a 3 phase, grabbing the com, then driving away might be an issue.

10. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

As soon as I read that, i pictured it in my mind and started laughing. I'd fall over laughing if i ever actually saw that happen.

-Envisions a BE jeep towing the NF CV and cackles-

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

An EM generator would be nice.

Basically it has a chance to cause engine failures in missiles, cause all weapons to fail when firing (it just fails to fire and then you have to wait for 2x the reload time to fire your next shot) and it breaks missile locks.

Also all ordinance in the area has a 10% chance to fail to detonate.

You don't need all of these, but some sort of electronic warfare weapon would be cool.

I saw a dude running up with a blue grav gun and picking up the comm, then running away with it.

12. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

that sounds like an interesting thought, it'd be interesting to see this in gameplay

13. gezor

gezor Member

yes, some kind of emp cannon or emp bomb.

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

okay, now i think about it, this is just a dumb idea, spamming up the forum with its dumbness.

perhaps i'm being stupid, but this doesn't fit with empires, it doesn't seem useful at all (why pull the tank back to battle when you could instead be in a tank doing something useful like kill the enemy). it just seems like a waste of time.

15. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

now that you say it like that...it -is- a cool idea, but it just doesnt fit well into gameplay...its not exactly...practical

16. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

This is almost as bad as your killbot idea.

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Whats with a cannon that push enemy tanks away and damage the target if it hits a wall or something similar. This could be really usefull especially on emp_isle ^^

18. Hypnos

Hypnos Member

Perhaps instead of having a magnet cannon, why not a magnetic tank? The tank would be the most expensive and it would "attract" enemy vehicles towards it and once the two make contact, the enemy tank would overheat and there would be an amount of damage done to the tank every several seconds. The bad thing is the magnetic tank would overheat and would need some time to charge it and also the armor for the tank would not be that powerful so it can easily be destroyed. The tank would not be able to attack infantry either.

I think this is a good idea because it would actually slow down enemy tanks and even destroy them. *Thinks of all the strategies created by the magnetic tank* Beautiful!

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

If you take them seriously, yes.

I'm not sure why I never closed this, probably because avair is hopeless.

20. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

How has this thread not died?