Looking for a game

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Castrol GTX, May 1, 2010.

1. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I've been looking for a game like this for a while. I'm thinking of some game where you manage one person in a strategy kind of way in an open-ended gameworld where the objective is to get as much money or power as you can.

For example, I had an old abandonware game called Merchant Prince or something where you were managing all you're trade routes and your fleet, meanwhile trying to bribe senators in the government and cardinals for the papacy.

Or you guys might be familiar with X3:TC, which I played for a bit but lost interest in. I also remember playing oblivion wishing I could become a count of a city and try to gain power over the other cities.

You guys know anything like this? It can be abandonware for all I care.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

GTA series

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You mean a strategy game like civilisation, but where instead of controlling your own faction, you control your hero and his rise to power?

Sounds interesting...I can't think of any really city based off the top of my head though.

4. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Yeah Ikalx. Something like X3:TC only maybe more adversarial in terms of trade and politics (there is no politics in X3TC). Plus maybe not in space.

X3:TC lets you build trade networks and all that, but theres not much dynamic competition, just a bunch of bots doing stuff and you might get drowned out and not make any money.

I have another half-example. Theres a game called Europa-Universalis: Rome which is an sandbox RTS. You control the whole nation and there are several characters in your government, and your government (sometimes) has a parliament/senate with faction parties. Sometimes the characters will try to overthrow your King character and you get civil war, etc. Something like that, only you really only control one person.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Total War series then

6. Zeke

Zeke Banned

i never played it myself...

but are you talking about freelancer perhaps?

7. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

lol garry's mod

freedom

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Have you tried Mount & Blade? It has everything you want: you control your own hero in an open-ended gameworld, you can take over factions or create your own and then wage war against other factions, take over cities and castles and it has shittons of mods

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Heroes of Might and Magic (3 is the best) may have some of this to offer, although it is mostly a strategy game. I'm thinking Sim City without the god perspective?...it may be you want something more like a cyberthriller game. Faugh! I did away with the names in mah head...

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  10. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Beerdude just hit it on the head. You want to check out Mount & Blade, which is basically what you described. You might be a bit disappointed by a lack of depth (I actually don't know if this is still the case in Warband; I heard that they improved the quests and diplomacy some) but overall I think you might be impressed, especially after you heap on the mods.

11. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I bet myself that someone would mention Freelancer. I hated that game, uninstalled it, then even gave it a second chance, then deleted it amid swearing. If you know that game, its pretty much a weaker version of X3:TC.

The Total War games and Europa Universalis: Rome are really similar, but what I'm talking about is more along the lines of if you were only controlling one of the characters, like the Generals or Governors in TW, and not the entire empire.

And Heroes of Might and Magic just ain't my thang. Sorry, I just don't like that style of things. But what do you mean Cyberthriller game?

I looked at some stuff on Mount and Blade, it might be what I'm looking for, I'll give it a shot. I'm still taking ideas though.

E-Yeah it looks like Mount and Blade might be it. Stiiill taking ideas though.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I've come into contact with a few corporate-agent type games that cover some of what you talk about. It's not usually open ended but you do accrue money and power and have issues with rivals trying to take over.

Sadly I can't be any help, because I can't remember them. I've been pretty useless to the thread, lol.

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

is warband any better than the original M&B? dont get me wrong the game is great, but it didnt last longer than a week before it turned into dull repeating tasks ...

14. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Well I played the demo M&B for a bit, then downloaded Warband. I'm not sure what exactly is different, but in the things I do know its better.

Mount and Blade is going to keep my interest for a while I bet, although its not quite what I was talking about.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

mount and blade warband is legit, but it's not really the kind of game that the OP is looking for. The combat is really fun, but the campaign map is pretty lacking. It's more like everything is set up to interact with you in specific ways rather than being a truly immersive sandbox experience where you can do whatever you want.

If you have a SNES emulator you should try uncharted waters 2. You can literally take over the world... it's a piracy/trade high seas simulator... and it's way more in depth than "sid meier's pirates" or any other game like it. unless you're a fag who only cares about graphics... but then you probably wouldn't be looking for a genre like this in the first place. I can't really think of any modern titles that really fit the bill though.

16. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Funny cause I almost said how Pirates was almost like what I was talking about. I'll check out uncharted waters.

17. Cloud

Cloud Member

Have ya tried The Guild 2?