Longest time you've gone without sleep

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ScardyBob, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well yeah, you know the universe is apparently still expanding, right? All that escape velocity stuff, etc.

For someone who seems to view themselves as so insignificant, you sure seem to put a lot of weight on your opinion.

True...if i'm decoding your post correctly.

Sad.

2. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

From the perspective of the universe, I am utterly and absolutely insignificant.

When compared to the rest of humanity though, well...

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Most people know these things(science) but never take the time to think it about until they do something like shrooms.. The drugs you say make us forget that we are shitty little tool bags are pain pills, alc, ect. Hell even movies and video games do that.. But shrooms and LSD don't. They make you realize things like the magnitude of the universe and how big we are compared to something like a germ and cancer and the importance it is to live life as happy as you can while you can. Hell I can even imagine a world where everyone realizes this and instead of being a cancer to this world we could co-exist with it.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE WORDS FROM SOMEONE OFF LSD! Man I am telling you people think the same way when you are on shrooms or LSD.

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

A note about shrooms:

"Psilocybin mushrooms are non-addictive and also very non-toxic, and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, a branch of the Center for Disease Control, rated psilocybin less toxic than aspirin"

And LSD(acid):

"An LSD trip can have long-term psychoemotional effects; some users cite the LSD experience as causing significant changes in their personality and life perspective."

Alcoholism:

"Some studies in the 1950s that used LSD to treat alcoholism professed a 50% success rate, five times higher than estimates near 10% for Alcoholics Anonymous."

Pain:

LSD was studied in the 1960s by Eric Kast as an analgesic for serious and chronic pain caused by cancer or other major trauma. Even at low (sub-psychedelic) dosages, it was found to be at least as effective as traditional opiates(which people often get addicted to and suffer severe physically dependency's), while being much longer lasting pain reduction (lasting as long as a week after peak effects had subsided).

Creativity:

"In the 1950s and 1960s, psychiatrists like Oscar Janiger explored the potential effect of LSD on creativity. Experimental studies attempted to measure the effect of LSD on creative activity and aesthetic appreciation. One patient of Dr. Janiger, bipolar and alcoholic artist Frank Murdoch was given a controlled, experimental dose of LSD for several months in an attempt to cure his late stage alcoholism. Murdoch produced some 250 paintings and drawings after ingesting LSD)"

AND THIS IS SOMETHING WE SHOULD CLASSIFY A DRUG AS BAD AS HEROINE?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Hehe...you didn't disappoint ^^

Probably not...but I guess the idea is it breaks the ties with conscious reality, causing possible temporary suspension on sanity, which makes it dangerous. Possibly.

Also...it's the goverment. Ever be thinking they want people to go the same direction, think the same way, run in straight lines? It certainly makes it easier to govern.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

by that logic, ive never seen an animal step in to save the live of another animal of the same breed

the fact that you "think the human race is disgusting" and you being a human is proof that the human race is a very compassionate race, compassionate enough to realise when faults are made and actually care a great deal about it

it'll go all right i say

8. flasche

yes u can be sure pickled delivers :D

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Regardless of if you observe it or not, it does happen. Only species that prefer to be isolated from their own kind and other creatures (e.g. snakes) seem to consistently be like that. Unless there is an immediate threat that they don't have a chance against (e.g. gazelle vs lion), many pack/flock/herd/etc creatures will try to help those from their species. Some species have been noted to be very hostile towards predatory species for the sake of protecting another creature, not because they are predatory themselves, not because the creature that is being threatened is of their species (although this is admittedly rare). Animals also have much different ways of communicating, a lot of it we still don't understand, I wouldn't be surprised if quite often they just aren't able to understand another creature. When you don't understand something that's a living, breathing creature, you tend to be wary, for who knows how it will react to your presence?

10. flasche

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the ideal that you see and the fact that we do not fill up for this ideal is bothering you is all expected from you to feel that way, humans are built to show compassion, and the fact that you still remember this urban legend proves that you would not act the same

you see, a lot of this "we should take care of the trees" and "let us give money to the poor" are all behaviouristic traits common in humans not only from the western society, but also in for example an isolated group of hunter gatherers in the rain forest

city life in current society however dulls the mind into thinking that those people around you in the city have no worth over it... because they are just the same greedy bastards that wouldn't help a poor girl in medial need but just exploit her by taking pictures and films

the idea behind this even is with a cause and a goal, humans experiancing this will want to make a difference, will want to try and turn it all around with a positive effect on the community

in short

people who are compassionate with each other is good for the species, a rare person being extra compassionate once in a while benefits the species even more, however if everyone would be as compassionate as that special person, we would not have enough strife, and too much people who do not really benefit our gene pool would survive too often to reproduce

genetics is cruel, humanity is not

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

That's because we are all a part of a giant cancer that feels that way to help the growth of it. Why do you think we crave sex and comfort? We are not individuals.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well no, that idea is more about us being animals than anything idealogical. Like other animals our main function is the continuation of the species, we just tend to destroy everything else in our way. Because we haven't learnt to live with our environment like other animals, we kinda screwed things.

Heh, didn't the matrix come out like 10 years ago saying stuff like that? Humanity isn't really a "cancer" we're just out of control - and because of free will there's really no way to stop us growing unless we make hard choices - like china's 1-child policy.

Like everything I half read and denature as I see fit, i'm kinda partial to Maslow's hierarchy of needs for this idea (yes, I have learnt something, don't faint). Basically it says that as the more basic needs are satisfied, your mind is freed up to focus on other things - so like, when you can eat and have a roof over your head, you seek to learn more and support yourself. After that you move on to love and family, then after that it's more about satisfying the need to do something and finally on to thinkin' about stuff. Well, something like that anyway, I tend to change a lotta things.

Humans have been given the ability to rise above their base instincts. Whether they do or not governs what we are and will become. For now, I would say it's possible to say we're acting like a cancer with some truth in that statement, but not particularly that we are a cancer.

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Isn't cancer basically cells with uncontrollable growth? I could be wrong on that but if that's the case of course we could live with the planet instead of off it. But that would mean less Iphones and SUV's and Mc Donalds and would need the like mindedness that can come about with shrooms and acid as I was trying to point out. Which is funny how it correlates to those studies I posted about it treating cancer.

I think the cancer is not us as much as it is the buildings we build and stuff we do which I think is basically what you are saying. Animals stick together but I think that's also an instinct and way to stay safe instead of feelings of compassion.

edit: But another way to look at it is the cancer is our thoughts making us want to be comfortable and have big cars and fast food. But that is probably mostly because of the TV ad's and shit being blasted into peoples minds. This is the rabbit hole, and we are getting pretty deep into it. But why not. I am bored at work scanning lots of shit haha

Quality of life vs standards of living.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Imma have my gf synthesize a 2L cola bottle of pure LSD and then do some binge drinking in Somalia or some shit and then count the amount of AKs and dead people around me when I snap out of it

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

watch pearl jams do the evolution video. You'll see the truth!

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It really does fit the thread. Fuck yeah.