Linux/Unix and Win/Winbärx xD

Discussion in 'General' started by Lala, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Lala

Lala Member

Hi guys im interesting, how many win and unix server are currently runnig with EM.

Plz tell me ur sys (Debian/Fedora), ur Hardware (CPU/Ram/Connection [100Mbit/s or so]) and Slots.

Thx :)

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Um, I don't think this belongs in the tech support thread.....

3. Lala

Lala Member

why not? Hardware = Tech and i will know wich serverhardware other Empireshosters use. I think its ok here! :)

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

If you look at the other topics you can see this forum is usedas a techBUG forum.. As in if you have a problem with tech related stuff you can post a topic here...

5. Lala

Lala Member

then, plz mods move my topic! :)

6. Lala

Lala Member

No GS-Hosters here or what? :o

7. training server

training server Banned

i think its because most empires games are hosted on a shared box, where the client shares the box with other clients of the game hosting company.
    Usualy you can find the specs of the shared boxes on the game hosting company, or simply ask them on their forum.
    Time by time they do hardware upgrades and its not important for me as server owner to follow that. As long as my server is not lagging and the ping is fine, worth your money, then there is nothing for me to worry about.

Som big clanners have a lot of cash to spare and they have a dedicated box, but they run more than just Empires (to get more worth for their money).

If you are interested in a dedicated box, you should just ask the hosting company for the most suitable price/quality for your game(s).

If you are planning to run one game server only, then a shared box is more interesting.

To find out if the gameserver are running windows or linux, use HLSW.

If you dont have HLSW, game-monitor.com will do just fine.
    Search server playing: teamplay (empires2), click on any server and go to Server Variables.

If this was not the answer you were looking for, then I am sorry.

8. Lala

Lala Member

U mean some people here using "Virtual Servers"? :o Im a clanleader and pay 100€/mounth (servers [2x dedicated] costs 110€/mounth and one of my member pay with me). Upgrade comes all 2 years.
    Im not shure how many guys here using s-boxes. and this is a point for my topic here.
    k, i can see over HLSW wich OS (Unix/Win) the guys use but i CANT see wich Dist. (Debian/Fedora...). same on Gamemonitor...
    This is a community for EM here and i think i can ask the hosters here and need no reggi on all Clan-Forums.
    I think all activ Claners/hosters can answere here! ;)

But thx for ur post! :)

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

most people don't know what the specifics of the rented shared box is.. I wouldn't care what distro the hosting comapny uses either as long as the server is fine..
    Most hosting companies have a webpage where you can change the gameserver related settings and that's it.

For the ones with a dedicated box: They prolly do know what kind of server they are renting (or bought) and they prolly have full control over it as well :)

But most empires servers are shared boxes

10. training server

training server Banned

@Lala:
    virtual server? i dont get it >.<
    i didnt mention u can find the distribution on hlsw/game-monitor :p just win/linux

can i ask you what games and how many servers you are running on each of your dedicated, if i understand it well, you have 2 dedicated boxes? and 100euro/m is not cheap

@Caelo:
    correct