Light vehicle sound-mod

Discussion in 'General' started by Petko, May 4, 2007.

1. Petko

Petko Member

I just made a little soundpack to change the light vehicles sound from that damn hl2 sand buggy to something better.

It may not be the best, because currently the code only accepts two sound scemes for vehicles, one are the light vehicles like jeeps, apc, afc, light tank the other is for medium and heavy tanks.

So i could just put the same sounds for jeeps and light tanks, and it may be a bit too heavy for a light jeep. I hope in the future it will change as i said before, that all 6 different engines should have different sound scemes.

Anyway its here: http://norad.shacknet.nu/petko/v8.rar

I saved it from my 108 directory, but you can see where the files are going, if you want to put it in 107. (empires/sound/vehicles/v8/)

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Each vehicle can have separate vehicle sounds. The scripts must be modified to point to the new sounds. I also hope you realize that the vehicle sounds are looping wav files. They have to have que points set for when to start the loop and when to end.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Petko, you should respond ASAP, since if you did something wrong, you will have a very angry mob from the downloaders.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I've been using my own sounds from the Combine APC for the jeep sounds for almost a year now.

5. Petko

Petko Member

It works fine... even without cues. I did one with cues too, but its the same. I dont see where exatly the cue points should be, because in the tank loops it was chaotic... there were cue points assigned without logic. (for example 6 cue point at the beggining of the file)
    There are 3 types of vehicle sounds files as i saw:

Full loop files, like the engine in 4th gear, going steady. There should be a cue point at 00:00 and exactly at the end?

Partial loop files, like changing gear and speeding up and then going steady.
    There should be cue point where the steady part starts, and at the end?

None loop files, like the engine stopping sound. In this there should be no cue points i assume.

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Speaking of engine stop sound: can we have spacebar as a brake in tanks, and a E-Brake in jeeps?

7. Petko

Petko Member

btw there is also a strange thing with vehicle weapon sounds... ive tried to modify the vehicle mg sound... there is a vehicles/mg/fire.wav which should be played when an mg is fired... ive changed it but when i shot with an apc, chaingun or med chaingun... there is the new played, but also mixed with the old effect

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

There are two sound files that are played for vehicle MGs.

I don't know what they are though :)

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

This it maybe?

10. Petko

Petko Member

yea, as i said i know that ")vehicles\mg\fire.wav" should be played when you fire an mg, but after changing this file some weird things happen, and not what you would expect: like the old mg sound comes even when i replaced it, or there is no sound at all, or the new one loops forever, or the old and the new mixes together, or you hear the old one, but sometimes you can hear the new one when some other vehicles are shooting with mg

-ive tested multiple things... there is no problem in the soundcache, it caches the good (new) wave
    -also ive changed other vehicle weapon sounds, like the standard cannon, that plays well
    -tried to change the heavy mgs sound... that was also good with my replacement sound

i dont know what the hell is wrong with this vehicle mg sound... someone plz tell me or something

also i checked now about this cue thing.. (because i made my sounds with cues and also without it, but ingame there was no difference)
    on some hl 1 mapping forum some guy said that ambient map sounds need cue, but other than that i didnt find any info regarding that besides half life 1, source really uses cue points for loops... no mention of cues on the valve developer network
    and i also checked now the wav files for the buggy, and those official sounds do not contain cue points, and we currently use them in default for the light vehicles
    so i dont think cues are really needed

Last edited: May 9, 2007