Light Tank is underpowered

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -=SIP=-, May 21, 2009.

?

Is 2.24 Light Tank underpowered

1. Yes, LT is underpowered.

10.7%
  2. No, LT is perfectly balanced.

75.0%
  3. No, LT is still overpowered.

14.3%
  1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

After a frustating match I tested the LT against the AFV. I shooted Canon and ML simultaneous.

LT shoots at AFV till death

Armor____Standard___Regen___Reactive_(always 3 plates)
    ------------------------------------
    Canon:___4__________6_______8
    ML:______4__________5_______7

AFV shoots LT till death

Armor____Standard___Regen___Reactive_(always 2 plates)
    Canon:___4__________4_______5
    ML:______3__________4_______4

My opinion is, that the LT was overpowered in 2.23 but in 2.24 it is underpowered. Something in between would be perfect.
    For example with the current values one LT with reactive has only a chance against one AFV with reactive if LT keeps raming the AFV.
    But as soon there are 2 vs 2 then LT has no chance.

Easy solution would be, when we will have the new model for the AFV (http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=8707). Then it would be easy to balance: Just give both tanks the same values.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well like you said if there's gonna be a new model i can't say if it's balanced; but at this point it sounds to me that the afv is slightly better against and lt, which even if true is still fine as afv's are such easy targets for infantry. Actually the same goes for the lt. They rarely miss an afv.

i'm not sure so i'm not voting, but i'd guess it's pretty balanced

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

We need diversity between the two teams.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

People scream the afv is to good now and other people cry cause of the OP of the light tank. I guess that means balance :)

5. ba'al

ba'al Member

I havent noticed any signifcant supiority of either tanks...

6. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

are there factors apart from "time it takes to kill such and such" - like cost? research times? weight?

i think AFV v LT is farking bananas right now (ie balanced)

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Its pretty balanced right now. The more powerful AFV weapons are to balance out the fact that its hard to hit an LT. I'd say that an AFV misses half its shots, while the LT only misses a quarter. So that would change your analysis to

LT shoots at AFV till death

Armor____Standard____Regen____Reactive_(always 3 plates)
    Canon:___5.3___________8_______10.7
    ML:______5.3__________6.7_______9.3

AFV shoots LT till death

Armor____Standard___Regen___Reactive_(always 2 plates)
    Canon:___8__________8_______10
    ML:______6__________8_______8

Essentially, LT still has an advantage when using plain armor, but the AFV gets the upper hand on Regen and Reactive. That's pretty close to my experience with 2.24.

8. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

The higher damage is because of the improved standard canon, which was added due to the useless and big afv model. Lts can still dodge them kinda easy so it is balanced imo.

9. Lumi

Lumi Member

The LT MKII gets guided missiles, and is smaller and more agile than the AFV MKII. With some careful driving, you can kill the AFV with the guided missiles while being able to dodge all of the shots from the AFV.

10. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

AFV is a bit of a beast against infantry now, that cannon is like a slightly weaker HE. Even then, LT has it's ass glue and miniture, so it's still better. actually adds up to something that's pretty balanced.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Hang on you sat there and shot cannons at each one?

You didn't take into account the light being harder to hit while moving and more agile?

So by your logic jeeps should always die within one second of encountering a tank?

12. Alceister

Alceister Member

I think the lighter tanks are all balanced at the moment, but I never really noticed a severe imbalance between NF Light tanks and BE AFVs before (unless NF LT has rammed a BE AFV: then the height difference really plays to BE AFV's disadvantage).

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'd say they're relatively balanced.

I can kill lights in the AFV and the AFV has uses the light tank doesn't, with the armor reductions since 2.24 the extra plate means the AFV is just survivable enough to support infantry, while the enhanced cannon helps it deal with more enemy types more easily.

On the other hand as a battle tank in open spaces the LT is probably the better choice. As most maps have some balance between the two situations the two are both useful.

14. Forefox

Forefox Member

Both the LT and AFV are more balanced from this patch in my eyes. Lower profile of the LT makes it a more difficult target to hit from any projectiles, but also have less armor to compensate.
    The AFV is a large mobile blue box with more armor and firepower. Majority of its bulk attributes to better damage soaking capability with an additional plate, but at the same time makes it an easier target for projectiles. Better canons affords it a more well rounded rolls as support and lower chance from being routed by LTs.
    The greatest asset for the LT becomes mobility, as you wouldn't want to sit there and exchange blows with an AFV. The massive AFV is relatively easy to hit while on the move, and the LT becomes much harder to hit. That's two advantages from just moving around.
    The AFVs two advantages are: Increased canon damage and one extra plate. A driver in an AFV wants to exchange blow for blow with an LT (just not when the LT is ramming the AFV). These are also hard increases, no tactics required.
    This also makes the AFV better than before in a supportive role against NF infantry with the increase canon damage. This is directly opposed to BE infantry seemingly getting run over more often by a LT while also being more difficult to hit with a rocket or mortar on the move.

The scaling on the armor upgrades is in favor for the AFV, but the LT benefits more with faster engine upgrades than the AFV. It just requires more skill and room for the LT driver to be accurate while not running into or over any obstacles... a lot more skill and room for that matter.

The learning curve with an AFV plateaus earlier than an LT. An AFV driver needs to be more accurate with every shot against an LT. That same driver in an LT is even more so accurate against an AFV (the skills translates over easily), but also have the larger capacity in learning being mobile and accurate as well. In an AFV, it doesn't really matter how mobile the player is. The person is still in a big blue box.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i like them both, although it should not be seen as 2 tanks filling the same niche

light tank is a skirmish tank imo, great for rushes and the likes, pecks off targets while keeping on the move

very fun tank

afv is infantry support, you should not use this tank solo, but with some infantry closely or another afv/apc nearby

good support tank, also fun to play but more in team work and bulky enough to take some direct damage

16. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

That's why I adjusted his numbers (AFV hits LT 25% of the time; LT hits AFV 50% of the time). It actually pretty balanced if you do that.