Lets get absorbant, OK!!!?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by TheLiberalElitist, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I am see a repetitious trend of going straight for absorbant, and it is just boring. it's sad when both commander's rush chemistry, and just to change it up maybe some other commander will get reactive, but that is every blue moon, recently, it has been nothing but absorbant.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

little late on the crime scene liberal?

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I buffed absorbant (blind, with no testing, given no such thing existed at the time) by just 5hp, and it seems to have had such a huge effect. Likewise, I dropped reflective by 5hp, and now it's fucking useless. And we're talking an average of about 60hp so the percentages are small.

Proof that it'll be worth going through the very long testing schedule we have planned.

4. ViroMan

when is the testing starting?

5. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Well I have seen it for a while, it's just now becoming a nuisance.

Edit: Less of a nuisance, it is just not fun, cause you know exactly what the enemy commander is going to do, its boiled down to rush researching everything in Chemistry, and then get mediums; wash, rinse, and repeat.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. ViroMan

just for this I will now get bio everything.

7. Trickster

Beerdude is setting up the forum groups and shit, I'm hoping for a week this Saturday but it might be the week after, we're unsure as it is.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Absorbent is like toilet paper, it's cheap, weightless, and it cleans up a lot of the mess.

9. ViroMan

You mean its like brawny

Cheap, thick, weighs little, and its thirsty for damage.

[​IMG]

10. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

You mean it's homosexual. It's skinny and can take a packing.

Absorbant's name is also Eduardo, who is lean yet ripped, with sun dappled skin and blue eyes like the sky.

11. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

While I completely agree with you and I try to research other stuff when I'm in command it usually ends with me being flamed and called a noob by smartasses on the team and losing because most of them believes that it's not possible to win without absorbant.

12. ViroMan

it can be difficult to win without absorbant if your team is a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.(noobs) even with absorbant your mearly trying to level the playing field(impossible) since the other commander will have it 90% of the time.

13. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Armor health:
    Comp: 80
    Regen: 75
    Abs: 70
    Reactive: 65
    Reflective: 60
    Plain: 30

14. FN198

FN198 Member

how about make all armors the same hp and balance the modifiers instead

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Making armor differences easy to quantify and granularly change? That is much too obvious, FN.

We need to make armors as cryptic as possible. After all, the more complicated something is, the more strategy it has.

16. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Not this again...

To save everyone from my text wall, here is the short version:
    NF gets UML: better than other options in terms of dps
    NF gets absorbant: counters everything but UML

BE knows that NF major advantage is UML, they have to get absorbant to not be ripped apart.
    BE is screwed anyway due to:
    1. Best option of rails vs absorbant do 30% plate per hit. UML vs absorbant is 87% plate per hit.
    2. Get HE cannon (shit vs abs) or try to win with uml/? mediums before NF can roll them with heavy tanks

@ FN198 after taking out gui and research, we get the following from armor scrips:

Code:
    "Plain Armor"
        {
            "Weight"        "15"
            "Cost"            "5"

"Health"                    "30"
            "Regeneration"                "0"        //Only regen armor is going to have this. Armor specific gimmick.
            "Angle Modifier"            "0.1"    //Key selling point for reflective armor, all others are going to be 0 or 0.1. Armor specific gimmick
            "Speed To Damage Modifier"    "0.008"    
            "Damage Modifier"            "1"        //modifier to damage (0.9 reduces damage by 10%; damage*0.9=damage taken). Global mod, almost not worth leaving in.
            "Damage To Heat Absorbed"    "0.025"    //Not sure how this will help in any sort of damage balance. Almost not worth leaving in as heat battles are widely seen as "lame"
            "Bioweapon Damage Modifier"    "1.5"    //Key for trying to sell reactive (has 0.5) and why plain and regen get killed by bio (1.5 and 2 respectively). Armor specific gimmick

//Resists.
            50/50 chance that these are actuality used, if they are:
            50/50 chance that they actuality do anything, if they do:
            50/50 that they do what they are supposed to do.
            100% chance that they are currently hard coded and need at least some code to properly function in some useful manor.

"BulletResist"             "1"        //Non Armor damaging
            "InfantrySeismicResist"    "0.95"    //Siesmic Grenades
            "InfantryBulletResist"     "1"        //Just In Case
            "ExtraType1Resist"         "0.95"     //Building Damage
        }
    If we take out the armor specific gimmicks, we are left with:
    Code:
    "Plain Armor"
        {
            "Weight"                    "15"    
            "Cost"                        "5"    
            "Health"                    "30"
            "Speed To Damage Modifier"    "0.008"    

//Resists.
            Effectively non useable resists
        }
    Is anyone else noticing a very, very, very short list of useable modifiers to balance armor around?
    Keep in mind that the major difference between weapons is the speed of the shell: Cannons are 3000 and up, Missiles are 2500 and down

17. Trickster

That and speed to modifier is shitty, so apart from on absorbant, it shouldn't be used, leaving you weight, cost and HP. Maybe reflective modifier but that's poor too.

18. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

At one point, did someone mess with/change/unbreak the angle mod on reflective?

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

another reason why i think we should have individual research. some people just dont want to use <item>. good players can put to use anything you throw at them.

also, im for permabanning everyone who says "we lost" in any form more then 10secs before the comm blows up.

20. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

BE will always almost have to get chemistry because of cannon heat.

Which brings me to... if you go with 3phase or gas turbine as BE.. its a bit more harder to kill buildings with cannons. basically, you cant spam.

Most commanders try to get armor, weapon, engine done as fast as possible to start researching heavies... It is not like you will go into chemistry to research just coolant and then go back to physics and get reflective and ext range cannon as BE. You will lose a lot of time. So BE commanders are going to have to have chemistry.

Rails is just too shit! It is too easily counterable. Even if the enemy team is researching non-chemisty.. The moment the enemy pulls out rail heavies, the commander could research absorbant in like what? 3 minutes to counter the rails easily. Hell, I bet plasma gets researched more than rails these days, even as a troll weapon.