Learning to Art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Haji with a handgun, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Haji with a handgun

Haji with a handgun Member

So, how would I go about learning how to model and texture? I've been toying around with the idea for a long time, put never really put work towards it. I ant to help with the development of this mod, and I have a fuckton of ideas I always wanted modelers to do. So, how would I go about this?

2. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

if you already got a modeling program, you should get some references:
    photos or even better other models, you can open with your program

then look how they are built and try to rebuild them on your own

besides knowing what your program is capable of and what possibilities you got with it, the most important thing is to know when to use single functions to get to a desired result

at least the rebuilding method is how i learned modeling in the first place
    i touched blender for a few hours and didnt like it, then used google sketchup and finally got to 3ds max (needless to say 3ds max is the best so far, but i didnt try maya yet)

3. Haji with a handgun

I've been considering getting 3DS Max, should I be using the shit-tier programs like Blender first, and then work my way up to more advanced programs?

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

that's only the matter if you want to learn a specific program

at first you got to get the feeling for modeling at all
    but i would recommend that you get 3ds max, as it is a real joy to work with it :p

5. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

You should prolly learn to do 3d modeling first before making any comparison of 3d modeling programs. I take it your not going to buy 3ds max, are you going to download a cracked version. When you start modeling or looking at programs, you will find out Blender is actually quite advanced.

I've used 3ds max XSI, and blender, and settled on blender because there is not big investment to get started with it, and it is legit, I am pretty sure most of the people who use 3ds max are using a pirated version or student version.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

nope not student (its that retarded that nobody else can open your files :rolleyes: )

but i am thinking of buying the 2010 or 2009 version since they are really cheap compared to the 2011

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

3ds max comes with a huge library of excellent tutorials.

Only programs worth considering are max first, maya second. Max is probably the better program, but some places do use maya, probably wise to at least be familiar with both, but max is basically the CS5 of modelling programs, yeah there are other things, but why bother? And yes max is CS5, not photoshop, it does a shitload more than just model.

8. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

3DSMax
    + Powerful - Can do it all, limited by the user and the hardware.
    + Common - Been around for ages. Everone uses it and as such it's pretty much set the standard for what 3D software is. Learn this well, and most other programs won't be that hard to get into.
    - Pricey - Got an extra arm? You're gonna need it to pay for it.

Blender
    + Free - As LiberalEliteist said, its 100% free and 100% legit.
    + Powerful - At least enough for the hobbyist. There are some things it won't do, and other things it makes so hard to accomplish you'll get a headache.
    - Interface - It's gotten better, but it's still very much "by programmers, for programmers". At least in some aspects. Don't believe all the bad things you have/will hear about it.
    - Open Source - Learning this will never get you a job. Most companies will screw up their nose at anything without "proper" development and support behind it.

Sketchup
    + Free - At least the gimped version. But all you're missing out on is some I/O functionality afaik.
    + Easy - You'll be making boxes in no time! :D
    - Simple - The simplicity is also its curse. More organic models will be hard if not impossible to create. There are rubyscripts and whatnot, but they will only take you so far.

Those are the three I have some experience with.

I'd start with downloading Sketchup, see if you can make some sweet architecture or tanks. Something angular. When you begin to feel hampered by the simplicity of it, download Blender or save up for 3DSMax if you're still wanting more. There are others of course. Maya, Wings, XSI just to mention a few. I think XSI even has a free version with pretty sweet support for the Source engine. Never got into it though.

I take it you're still in school? If so there should be classes you could take that would let you take a closer look at some of the more common software.

9. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

If your looking for a cheaper alternative, try XSI it is about $1000 cheaper then 3ds max, and it was used to create Half life 2 ,Mass Effect, Metal gear solid 4, and the texturing portion of it is probably the most intuitive of all the autodesk software. XSI mod tool is the free version. there are restriction with XSI mod tool so you can't sell your models.

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

yes it is 1000$ cheaper (which would still lead to 2300something$ )
    but if you want to buy the 2010 version youd only have to pay 300something$

11. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Alright, basically if you want to model for Source, you have two options:

Autodesk 3ds Max, This program has the best importing plugin for Source period. Ask Firewarrior and Chris about it, it's fucking a foreign language to me

Autodesk Softimage (Softimage XSI), inferior import tools, but export and everything else is solid. The plugin is actually built by Valve, and it was the program used to do HL2.

Like Firewarrior said, it depends on how long you use a program, not which one... though... I recommend Luxology's Modo 501.. look it up.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

3DsMax for lowpoly, Z-Brush for highpoly. The most complicated part is to learn and use techniques that make stuff look good without to many polys, that make models easy to unwrap and that make it easy to animate the mesh.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

fixed!

14. Haji with a handgun

Thanks for all of the replies, Im gonna look into getting 3DS Max and Maya

15. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

http://lowpolylinks.blogspot.com/
    This has links to tutorials,articles,websites,scripts and inspiration. You might find something useful on there when you actually get started.

16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

why didnt you show ME that earlier :D

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

I gave modelling a try about a week ago, but i've learned more from that site in 2 hours, than i did in the past week.

Also firewarrior, i have 3dsmax 2011 now, so i can open your file. Thanks btw.

18. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Lol, I found it on polycount forums weeks ago. Probably should have shared it earlier but i forgot about it.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The amount of detail you can create with Mudbox & Z Brush is waaaay beyond what you can archive with turbosmoothing.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ok, i've been giving modelling a try for almost two weeks now.
    I'm hopeless.
    I'm pretty sure i could learn the technical part of modelling, but the artistic side ... i suck at that.

I can't model something from imagination. Like a child i need a reference picture just to copy it. If i try to make a badass cannon, it turns out to be a cylinder with some extrusions. A vehicle of my creation is just putting eight simple shapes on top of eachother, and then for obvious reasons deleting the end result.

Then you check out professional models to learn from it, and it doesn't work. You look at them and go "that's not that hard when you see it, why can't i imagine something as detailed and well proportioned as that?" and learn Nothing at all from it.