Kudos to you, Empires community

Discussion in 'General' started by cpugeek, Jul 7, 2006.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Well, i was bored earlier so i decided to look on other forums and news sites for any mention of Empires. What i found was a bunch of posts about how people don't like the mod just because of the buggy first release. It really disgusts me to see some of these people so turned off by just the initial release that they refuse to try it again. I see these people, and I think to myself "thank God these jackasses aren't part of our great Empires community :D " I can't imagine what these forums would look like if they were filled with such shallow-minded people as these.

So kudos to all of you for being such a good community despite the rough start Empires had.

2. Zairair

Zairair Member

*nabs the kudos and eats them before anyone else*

3. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Well, I guess that's one way of thinking about it.

I do know of some prominent modders who were significantly turned off by the lag, though. Although those specific modders aren't exactly what I would consider prime Empires forum member material, it would still be good to get some of the veterans in the Half-Life modding community enthusiastic about it.

4. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

They're full of saturated fat and sodium, don't do it!

Personally, I think it was obvious Empires had a ton of potential at first release. In my mind, lag is just an inconvenience to be worked around, lo and behold, it was. Anyone who couldn't (or wouldn't) see that is probably better off playing something else.

5. Thor

Thor Member

Regardless of lag, bugs, or anything, Empires has been the mod I've had the most fun playing, which is why I stick around. Empires has the best community when it comes to mods, and is another element that keeps me around. An example is my clan. Regardless of the rough spots, Empires is, in my opinion, the best mod to date.

6. Revolver

Revolver Member

Empire is wonderful. Now if only we could get the community off of Gas Turbine and Composite, we'd be rolling

7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I've tried to do some minor promoting to get some new flesh to shoot at, but my efforts have been in vain. :( But I'm glad that there are people who have sticked with Empires, me has something to shoot. ;)

:D Most comms have taken a bit different route. Revolver. I've seen regenerative and bio diesel as well as 3 phase and reaktive and their mixes used quite a bit. Regen is great to have when you get some tracks while you're playing some other class than engi. :D

8. Blitz

Blitz Member

im one of those that left and then came back mainly down to the lack of team work with the masses of EMP_recruts that came with the 1st release of 1.5

as for me most often is see advance coolent matched with reflective tho i prefer to use regeneritive and Advanced coolent

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Noobs are good and bad thing at the same time. Usually I lack patience to teach them what to do. But we all need those noobs.

Emp 1.06 was awarded mod of the week or month on PHL.

10. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Well, it's right, Empires was a very laggy game at first. But it is the game I have most fun with. It shows me, that a good game must not be paid for *me chancels the WoW-subscription*
    And because of Empires I got what is called "Fastpath" here in Germany: my provider switched off the error correction for my internet connection. Costs some bugs more per month but I get a much more better ping...

11. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I remember spending two or three games so far only teaching some basics to newbies. Only two of them thanked me and I've never seen them since. :( We really need more players than the regulars.

But I must say that some of them are pretty hilarious at times. :D Like zippy. Yesterday he screamed into the mic in a game of emp_badlands that he was chased by a Bernodi engineer. It was somewhat comical to see this big NF CV driving past you with an engineer on its tail and hear: "It's chasing me. Bernodi are chasing me!".

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

same wereaser

ive helped a few emp_Recruits when the server was empty, gave em a full tutorial and in the end asked em to change their name. I have seen a few of them play once in a while. When you help ppl and more ppl join theyll happily help the guy out aswell.

13. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

Empires is the best HL/HL2 mod I've played this far. And looking at other mods, I think Empires is the one with most potential.
    Knowing that Krenzo and the rest of the Devs are constantly working on the mod, and the fact that this great community, which I think is the best Community since the NS Forums (Everyone hated me there, but I still liked it!), influence the Devs to make the mod better!

We come with great ideas, they listen, some of it might be implemented, and thats what I think is the best thing about this mod.
    Knowing that the Devs care about the players and are not just working after some sort of plan that can't be changed no matter what.

I belive most of the Devs (Definitely Krenzo) might have a bright future in commercial games.

"Krenzo Inc. We create the game players want!" :P

14. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

When I first heard of Empires, I mainly saw this "RTS and FPS gameplay". I was astounded. After playing, it was like all the bugs, lag, and problems bounced right off my good feelings about the mod. Regardless of the defects, I knew this game would be the future of gaming. This game has more potential then any mod I've ever seen, and possibly any game. I kinda disapeared between 1.01 and 1.04, but that was just because I was waiting throughout mose of the optimization and lag fixes.

I realize now that you guys are right, after the first version, it was kinda like a strainer, filtering out all the people who would be skeptic and negative about the mod in-game and in the forums. Now we have a dedicated community, eager to see where this game will take them.

Who knows, when Krenzo Inc. goes public, and Empires is released on Steam for $24.99, and we all get Special Editions for free...

15. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

People are spoiled for games these days. Expecting mods created by a handful of people in their spare time, with no funding to aid them in their project; to maintain the same level of quality as a professional, fully funded game.

It doesn't help when you have mods (not going to point fingers) who set themselves out to be just that, a game developer and not a simple mod team.

16. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

heh, I remember the first release being extremely laggy... but once I played emp_canyon and saw how cool the RTS-style gameplay was, I was in love.

17. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

um... i only started playing cause the game got mentioned in the steam popup news right as i started getting sick of dystopia and hidden.