Killspawning: A feature?

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by OuNin, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Empty

Empty Member

I never said I liked it, there's just no visible solution which won't cause other problems.

That said, it works. This isn't a game where you can "train" some units back at base, or even keep a supply of troops in reserve at the base in case of attack, it's a game where all your units want to be in on the action and doing things every second of every match, it's good if you like taking ground, it's bad for actual RTS gameplay, but overall it means killspawn has to stay.

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

And what issues do barracks personnel relocation cause?

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its harder (as you can get killed), less convenient (as you have to actually run somewhere) and might even take way longer ...

all big downsides. id use it to conserve tickets tho, as addition, not as replacement ...

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about (longshot here) teleporting to a barracks of choice by pressing a button and not moving for a few (5-10) seconds

class and ammo is the same as pre-teleportation, tickets are not lost

if you move before the timer runs out teleportation is interrupted

give it sense by tying it to construction of the radar

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

I don't want to get rid of killspawning as an option, but I'd like to be able to switch bases casually if I so happen to be in one. If you're lazy and loose with tickets, by all means do it, but the many players, especially more conservative ones, deserve a conservative option.

So, if your team is dicking around in your NW base in mvalley, they don't have much of an excuse to not go back to main base and diffuse whatever crisis is going on.

The main disadvantage is the quickness of responses to base attacks, but this gives more power to the barracks (if given this power over APCs, which has a similar function as a moving spawn point already).

6. flasche

at least the transportation from ANY spawn to a barracks should be possible ...

also:
    rax/apc -> rax = ok
    rax -> apc or apc -> apc = not ok

id even add armories to that ...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  7. OuNin

OuNin Member

For that, there would have to be some intuitive means of indicating that to players. I do like the idea. Maybe differently shaped spawn icons?

8. flasche

screw intuitive means - just pop a tooltip somewhere lol

9. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I would remove the radar requirement, and perhaps a recharge time of 10-30 seconds. And some particles. :D Besides that, I really like this idea. I like it enough that if you don't make a thread in the suggestion forums, than I will.

10. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

bleh read first page, I don't even know why this has continued so far

11. Dr. Rockso

Dr. Rockso Member

Onos on the cv! COMMANDER BACON!!!

Seriously though, a squad-specific or even individual beacon would be sweet for the com to use.

12. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

the thought about implementation would be a very simple choose your new spawn point in a barracks and spawn to 'teleport' there.

maybe a like 1 or 2 second delay time after choosing it where you have to sit still lest you break the teleportation(include with a particle effect or something i dono) just to prevent people from hopping all over the map back and forth to avoid dying form someone in the rax. Or something similar, nothing ridiculous like alot of this thread is suggesting though, should be simple and quick. End of story.

13. zenarion

zenarion Member

Yes, a beacon.
    Squad leader could deploy that, and people could spawn around it. By parachute!

14. Michael

Michael Member

[lodw]keef: I like your idea. If don't mind I would attach "some" thoughts on it.
    There is a new action: "Retreat" or "Fall back", which is added (and customizable) to the control panel ingame.
    Anytime when you press the "retreat" button, the system starts a counting of 3 seconds. On success you will disappear, your monitor turns black (same way when you die from falling) and the spawnmap automaticly activates.
    Any spawnpoint can be chosen, and you will spawn with your remaining, health, ammo, weapon in-hand.
    The 3 seconds retreat process will automaticly stops when you:
    -take damage.
    -make any action, move, attack etc.
    -are inside a vehicle.

If 3 seconds are too fast, then it can be 4 or 5 but above that this feature won't beat the killspawn.