kick spectators during PUGs

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Private Sandbag, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

it's really anoying to have the server full, you wanting to play, and yet you have to wait for ages because some people want to just sit out the round or chat. it's not a chatroom.

what else is annoying? when the server is full but it's only a 12 v 12 instead of a 16 v 16.

right now there's only one server, so can admins please start kicking spectators, starting with the people that have specced or been on the server the longest to ensure fair rotation.

it's not exactly as though it's that hard to disconnect, let someone else play, and connect again later when you feel like playing again.

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

The way we're doing it is that spectators will only be kicked if the server is full and they're hogging up space.

That is unless the game is nearing the end and everyone has gone spectator (the reason why the ticket console command was implemented).

Your best bet when you want in is messaging one of the admins on irc... Or all of them or something :)

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

A limit on the number of specs would be nice. :)

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Moar SourceTV!

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yeah, SourceTV is availible with one slot now. :P

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

how view SourceTV?

7. Chahk

Chahk Member

Maybe it's time to try bumping the server to 64 slots?

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

Maybe we should start with a smaller increase. :)

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

or bump up source TV slots for pwnage viewing abilities

10. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

There are 128 slots for source TV.

11. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

SourceTV relay server has 128 slots. The 1 slot server is the local one running with the main server that you shouldn't join. Splitting up into two servers helps distribute cpu usage across my dual cores.

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's good play 16 vs 16 but vehicles limit set to 10 is huge pain in the ass. Especially on money where you need *LOTS* of tanks to go through walled area. If server won't die it should be increased.

13. eth0

eth0 Member

I noticed when testing the SourceTV and Empires (when empty) that for a good chunck of time while SourceTV faithfully played back all the actions i'd done my player position was offset quiet some distance away, roughly 4secs of sprint.

Also all game entities such as Walls, buildings, turrets did show up only the CV.

Dunno if this is an issue in of itself but i'd like to setup a relay SourceTV server once 1.08 is ready but from what i've observed SourceTV is not only inaccurate (in placing players) but also does show entities. (And yes, i took into account of 20sec delay)

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

Once did i saw a turret when i was using sourcetv, all the other times the engies were building air. The building sparks were there though. I don't know why that turret showed up and the others didn't.

15. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

SourceTV has a variable you can set to delay the broadcast by a certain amount so you can't see and hear things the other team is doing if you're playing on another computer.

The lack of buildings might be due to limiting how much bandwidth is used for SourceTV which is by default rather low. Turning it to unlimited seemed to help the problem but not completely fix it.

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I spectate on PUGs because normally I have played a lot of rounds in a row and I want to have a break or something else. Also I normally start to spectate more when the time starts to be 2-4am here.

So I think it is okay that people spectate one round or maybe one and half of round.

Private Sandbag, join earlier to the PUG and don't crash or leave. So simple is that. I do that too when I can. ;)

17. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

aww SourceTV isnt working for me :/!

18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Weedy, empires rounds can last hour+. if it was CSS short rounds that would be a valid argument, but taking up a needed slot as spec for an hour isn't fair. use SourceTV to spec

19. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

And have you played the Empires during 2:00-4:00 am GMT +2?

Normally at that time there aren't so many players that all the slots are filled up.

Also have you played through once or twice the whole map cycle? I have and at that time I think I'm allowed to have a few breaks as spectator too. I normally play on PUGs around 9 hours, in my opinion that's enough to have a break or two as spectator too.

20. Chahk

Chahk Member

Weedy, that's a very selfish point of view. Just 'cause you've played a long time doesn't mean that a spectator slot is reserved for you. When the server is at capacity, why not take a break on the SourceTV server, instead of taking up valuable slots of others who actually want to play.