Key Press issue

Discussion in 'Support' started by knighttemplar, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I had this weird problem where i could only press two or three keys at once, and when i wanted to turn i had to stop moving turn, and move forward again. I was also crashing a lot

This made me angry, so i reinstalled my logitech drivers, which had no effect, then i reinstalled Empires, and that fixed the problem. My guess would be then that this was a problem with empires or at least something i had done to the file or something.

I still crashed, and that's annoying, because i have to restart my computer every time. anyone else have this problem?

2. Darg

Darg Member

Do you treat your computer nicely and feed it every day?

Rare cases of computer hatred have been known to occur when they have not been shown the love and affection they feel they deserve. Symptoms of this can include odd glitches, crashing, hardware failure and ultimately self-destruction which usually also involves the destruction of the owner.

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Alright, I reinstalled Source and everything (because it was happening in CSS and it's an all at once kind of system it seems) and it still happens in Empires (the key press issue that is) which makes me so angry. My batteries are fresh, the wireless receptor is right next to both units and the driver is up to date. This only happens when i'm playing a game, but it's worked for over a year with the same set-up, so I don't know what's going wrong now.

I played HL2 and the problem went mostly away, except when I got in a hardcore firefight or something. it's like it couldn't keep up. Maybe i'll just try uninstalling the logitech drivers and using generic MS drivers. That would suck though, because i would miss my media keys.

4. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Some keyboards don't like certain combinations of keypresses.

5. Darg

Darg Member

You could try uninstalling the logitech drivers, restarting then reinstalling them.

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

did that, i even upgraded to new drivers without success.

7. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music) Member

A standart keyboard allows for 3 letters/numbers to be pressed at a time.
    4 buttons when using ctrl, alt, shift etc.

So if you have to press 3 letters/numbers at a time -> change your controls.
    San Andreas had that problem, for example.

Press 3 letters. Does it beep?
    It should beep on 4.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Exactly why you would want duck on a modifier key.

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Some keyboards let you press more keys at once. Cheap keyboards are bad at it. On another subject, try pressing shift five times. Does Windows pop up an annoying window about turning sticky keys on? You should turn off accessibility shortcuts otherwise you get stuff like that during important situations in-game.

10. Darg

Darg Member

I keep getting that shift popup. I actually managed to turn on swiftkeys somehow the last time I did it which meant my shift was constantly pressed. More annoying then you think!

I read that you're supposed to press it 5 times to turn it off, it never said that you had to use the Left-Shift key to turn it off. I was baffled for a while. Very annoying.

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

No beep, no sticky keys (I don't seem to have accessibility options).

I'm planning to reformat after exams are done, it's just a pain. I can't seem to find my usb to PS/2 connector, but Valve recommends troubleshooting with that.

This has seriously never happened to anyone else?

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

nope, but empires or steam did fuck up my keyboard once, i was forced to install drivers for my keyboard, which fixed it.

Totally different problem though, some keys just stopped working, I couldnt use half of the characters on my keyboard anymore, some shift + keys stopped working aswell, weirdest thing I ever had, I was actually forced to use sticky keys (can you believe it, sticky keys being usefull?!?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.