KE (Kinetic Energy) Rounds

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by willvette, Oct 28, 2010.

1. willvette

willvette Member

KE Rounds
    A Weapon that uses kinetic energy to penetrate the armor of the target.
    It is researched in: Mechanical Engineering > KE Rounds
    It has the ability to damage armor 3 plates deep and the Chassis if less than 3 plates.

Weak vs Absorbent (its a high velocity projectile)
    PRO
    Absorbent becomes more useful
    provides a cannon research item in mechanical
    CON
    needs script and coding
    ALT
    weapon damage mostly goes to the armor with a small amount going to the chassis.
    have it damage all plates and the chassis at the same time.

[​IMG]

PS: I searched the forums, no mention of KE rounds

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

Love it. We need different munitions, would add some awesome to the game.
    In regards to KE rounds, there are a couple different types. There is APCR, which is like a gigantic piece of metal going straight through armor, with no explosive charge. Meant mainly to disable vehicles. Then there is APDS which is like APCR, but it has an explosive charge that destroys the armor, rather than just punching through.

Also, what about HEAT rounds? HEAT could have the ability to kill the driver of a tank if it had crappy or little armor.

[​IMG]

HEAT uses a shaped charge to blast through armor and kill those inside, could be awesome against LTs or APCs/AFVs, and maybe with some coding it could have the ability to kill through engy-placed walls.

Here is my MS Paint rendition of what happens when HEAT rounds hit walls/armor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. willvette

willvette Member

I was thinking APCR(Armour-piercing, composite rigid) because HEAT (High explosive anti-tank) is to much like HE rounds...

4. KamakazieWatermelon

Ok. I was thinking HEAT because I want something that can potentially kill targets in cover. HE just explodes, no armor piercing or anything.

But yeah, APCR would be an awesome edition to vehicle combat. If we end up having APCr rounds, we need to have some kind of option to "disable" a tank rather than kill it. APCRs aren't meant to really kill, just immobilize and such.
    If we had the ability to track tanks I would be in heaven.

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I love your mspaint.

6. willvette

willvette Member

Besides having HEAT go though engy walls would be OP, think emp_Slaughtered (D3 & E3) true it might be good for the attacking team but how about the defending team? also HEAT sounds to chemistry like and chemistry has enough weapons

7. KamakazieWatermelon

To suggest inside a suggestion, engy's should have 2 walls. A quick-building one that has x health and no resistance to AP rounds. And a slow building one that has x(health of weak wall) + y(anti-AP properties) and can stop the aforementioned AP. Maybe make it so that you can build walls out of the armor you have researched.

But yeah, I can see your point about HEAT being seriously OP, Especially on maps where walls are the only cover for infantry. I don't think APCR have penetration capability would be OP at all seeing as it doesn't have an explosive charge, you would have to nail infantry with it lol. The only reason why I am pushing for rounds with penetration is that Tanks behind walls need a way to die.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  8. Empty

Empty Member

What the fuck do you think railguns are.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

magnetically accelerated projectiles?

10. Empty

Empty Member

So what kind of energy do they use?

11. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Yeah, rails have always been a mystery to me. Its the only research for cannons that affects the barrel of the cannon rather than the ammunition. I have no idea why this is unique to rails since MLs have no equivelent where the Missle launcher itself is modified rather than the missle.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

magic?

13. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

No, I mean that rails are the only reasearch that directly affect the cannon itself and not its ammunition.

I understand the concept of a railgun.

14. KamakazieWatermelon

I like my munitions to involve primer and boom. Fuck your magnets.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Use the search function. Try the scripts section.

Damage goes to armor first, and it should always remain that way. Should not be a gun that does not hit armor IMO. that would be lame, as all chassis have relatively little HP on the chassis itself.

As far as the name, I know of at least 3 people who have made such weapons before. Though the idea was different. They thought of it as a phys push gun rather than a shooting the chassis gun. Flipping tanks is always fun, but OP. As is direct hull damage.

16. War Man

War Man Member

I suggested kinetic missiles http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=13231&highlight=weapon+ideas

And no need to bother coming up with a counter to composite. Do we really need to further discourage ever researching composite? The weakness for it is that it cost alot of money and tends to bankrupt the team the has it.

Another thing, if you guys want HEAT rounds I got bad news. One thing that is the beauty of composite armor as well as reactive is that it is a counter to such rounds.

17. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

when railguns rely on kinetic energy, why do they have explosion effects?
    HE <> HEAT.
    The thing about the walls and the HEAT shells: make one wall and one wall behind. HEAT penetrates first wall, second wall blocks off blast. Easy as that >.>

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Whilst specific script-based weapon suggestions won't be added, the ability to let a weapon deal direct damage to the hull, regardless of armour, is something on my list of new script features that I'd like. Whether or not I get them coded is another matter.

19. War Man

War Man Member

If there were weapons that do just hull damage, they'd have to do little damage to balance it with non-hull damaging weapons.

20. willvette

willvette Member

Say you have a heavy with 3 plates of composite armor and keeping Ceteris paribus (all other things are held constant), KE rounds should be equal to HE rounds in overall # of shots to kill the heavy. You can also modify the chassis resistance can't you? Or change the ability of the weapon so that the damage mostly goes to the armor with a small amount going to the chassis. Or have it penetrate a set number of plates and hit the chassis when theirs less plates than the set penetration.
    PS: KE rounds uses Kinetic Energy to penetrate armor, not force tanks around. :pathetic: