Jump in cover & sprinting

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Andariel, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Andariel

Andariel Member

Yet Another thing bugging me in this nice mod (yes i like it but there are some things that need tweak/improvement imho)

First:
    Jump in cover as a whole new "move" when running or sprinting and pressing the prone button you'll jump forward on your stomach, in which the distance of the jump should depend on the movement speed before prone was pressed (so the speed upgrade would add to it too)

which normal not braindead soldier would actually decide to shortly stand still getting down on his stomach while being under heavy fire?

a interesting thought once mentioned as i said this on a server, let it knock the enemy a bit back when being hit by it, maybe deal very minor damage (like charge into the enemy knock him back and get some shots off)

Second:
    The worst design decision in this mod after being accurate with the sniper while moving is that sprint only works forward, i think sprinting should just speed up the movement in the direction you want to go, to keep it up with the actual design the backpedalling could only improve by one or 2 thirds as when sprinting forward

2. Andariel

Andariel Member

i would, im a old skool person, im used to descent's and quakes first rule BE FUCKING HARD TO HIT (accuracy+movement+stamina+class depending special is my infantry setting)

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Have you tried sprinting backwards?

It's quite difficult to avoid falling over.

This isn't quake.

4. Pod

Pod Member

But at the same time, it isn't operating flashpoint? The movement is just right (tm).
    Do you see?

However, I'm pretty sure you can press prone when running? Or at least I've done it? Maybe?....

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Moving equally fast in all directions is something you get in games which also feature things like rocket jumping and miniguns.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

Haha, nicely said !

7. Sewage

Sewage Member

It would be nice to be able to go prone without stopping first.

8. GBH

GBH Member

Than you must never get out of the house. Its not hard at all to do. Watch kids play basketball. They do it pretty fast.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I've never seen anyone sprint backwards, basketball players jog from what I've seen.

10. Andariel

Andariel Member

Well im training some hth styles together and i can run backwards, as stated in the first not as fast as forward (a third or 2 not as fast as forward sprinting-quot) when I move with an speed that would exhaust me backwards its like exactly a half as quick as when i would do it to the forward direction, additional im more agile and flexible then your average person.
    Running fast backwards is not hard. Just train it for a few weeks and you can do it.
    Its not that i request things i pull off when i play paintball.

11. Thyreus

Thyreus Member

I like it the way it is, because this way you don't get dolphin diving (people diving to prone while shooting to avoid getting hit, as seen in Red Orchestra before they fixed it).

12. Pod

Pod Member

It has a name? I used to do that loads when I played DOD. Sprint, little jump + prone. You'd be a flying dart of death.

13. zergl

zergl Member

Anyone remember AHL? :D

14. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Yup. And TS. Diving's fun!

15. Sewage

Sewage Member

Gun kicking out of your hand fun.

16. Pod

Pod Member

Ts was/is still amazing. Infact, I wouldn't mind being able to double wall flip and stick a rocket into the roof of a tank in Empires.... Ahem.

Remember Max Payne? They said bullet time couldn't be done in a multiplayer environment? Yeah right. Showed up by a bunch of amatuer* game developers.

*amatuer as in "not paid". The quality of the work was fantastic.

17. Andariel

Andariel Member

btw the simple thing to prevent that then, no shooting while diving, pleased now thyreus, even though highly decreased accuracy would be better, who the hell would stand still while being shot to slowly get on the stomach

really it is stupid on a endless scale that you stand still while ebing shot to get your head down

18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I'm still able to move when getting down...

19. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I'm likin' the Red Orchestra covaaaar system. If your sprinting when you press the "prone" key, you dive forward, high enough to get over covaaaar if your running away from someone.

But sprinting while strafing or running backwards? What the hell are YOU on?

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you can run fowards, backwards, sideways or... other sideways in empires. you cannot SPRINT any direction but forwards and 45 degrees either side of forward. it's impossible. yes, you can kinda "run" backwards. that's not what i'd call sprinting.

also, and i mean seriously also... why?

why do you want to add this? because you love the "tactic" of always always facing your enemy? that's not tactics, that's lame. I absolutely fricken LOVE the fact that if you need to get the hell out of where you are you have to just turn on your heals and sprint. One of my earliest memories is sprinting away with bullets flying around me. this suggestion doen't add gameplay. this adds a whole steaming pile of lame.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007