Joystick and Aircraft

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Apr 6, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Will players be able to use a joystick when flying aircraft?

2. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Well, I dont know but I would expect it. Would be bad if not!

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yup. <filler>

4. Dragoon

Dragoon Member

I would like a genius mouse steering control like in freelancer. That was a invention I wounder why no one else came to that idea before.

5. petemyster

petemyster Member

what about BF2 controls? They worked really well with the helicopters. I don't want the hassel of bringing out my joystick/gamecube remote to play in aircraft. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I could use glovepie nad steer the aircraft with my wii remote, now that would be epic :p

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You can use joysticks to control aircraft, it is even encouraged to do so.

7. Chahk

Chahk Member

*Solokiller mode ON*
    Stop discussing Aircraft until they are actually being tested!!!
    *Solokiller mod OFF*

:p

8. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

I had a good rofl moment at that Chahk.

9. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I'm using my steering wheel for vehicles. I could really use pressure sensitivity. But this is an Orange Box thing.

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I want the game to stop crashing every 2 maps before you guys add aircraft... Any ETA? 5 months? 1 year? Just wondering...

11. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Within 10 years.

Also I think it would be good to make aircraft steerable with mouse or keyboard buttons too because I don't have room for my joystick without moving my mouse totally somewhere else where I can't use it so effectively. (Even though I can't use it effectively at all now because latest steam update managed to break my smooth turning with it. Now it just freezes all the time without recording a demo and even then it does freeze and also lock my keyboard's buttons for a short moment with it.)

12. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I think it should allow you to use either, however, anyone using a keyboard might get owned by someone using a joystick.

FEI (for everyone's information):
    My game doesn't crash anymore... I installed the update for Vista (KB940105) to fix the allocation errors and now it runs flawlessly... Why the <insert offensive word here> did it take me so long to find and install it...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  13. Mr. Weedy

Because Microsoft doesn't bother to update Vista automatically?

14. taiiat

taiiat Member

or, just because MS is a bitch and they dont want to support vista. they know its has major probs, so they would rather not support it. now i cant use a joystick eithier, i dont really have room, AND i dont have one to start. ive always used my keyboards for flying. it works fine. you gotta know how to use a keyboard. and btw joysticks are only good if they have good feedback. so when you use a joystick you have to always spend more$ than you think fo the same thing. not a problem, its just how it is. and i dont wanna buy a joystick just to fly planes in empires. i dont play any of the MS flight sims, cause theyre gay. the planes are sooo un-responsive.

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You can control aircraft with mouse and keyboard, but it's tough. I tried, and i either ended up driving across the map instead of flying, or i was always flying vertically. It was very hard to steer as well, but i think it's because it was an old test version.

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Do you mean flying horizontally, or do you mean it was so hard you could only fly down?

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I couldn't lift off, probably because it was duststorm on standard scale. I tried a later build with a 1/16th map, and i could lift off, but it hit the skybox because i couldn't turn.

18. taiiat

taiiat Member

lol. just change the sensitivity of the keyboard. errm, wait that was stupid. lolz! well, couldnt teh planes be more responsive?

and you couldnt turn? does this mean the maps arent big enough yet?!?!?

19. Mr. Weedy

I think the handling just needs tweaking because I have played a few space simulators/games where you fly a thing and those have had an option to use mouse as your controller.

It did work on those games so why it couldn't work in Empires?

It is just a matter of trying to find a correct way to make aircrafts function when you use mouse.

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

When i tried the BF2 demo i had to turn up my sensitivity up a lot to control aircraft smoothly, but since there weren't any aircraft-specific controllers yet i would've ended up with annoying changes.