Jerky Play In 1.05

Discussion in 'General' started by Ermm ok!, May 15, 2006.

1. Ermm ok!

Ermm ok! Member

Does anyone else find the new version randomly jerks in places? Its a bit like a lag spike but my latency and network connections are fine.

I find the new map is really bad for this with massive lockups in heavy combat areas.

If anyone knows of a fix for this please let me know as its really effecting my enjoyment of the game

Cheers ;)

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

tried playing on a different server?

the official is really laggy for me, but stormed plays fine

3. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i aslo have the jerky play, but ive been in my hole mapping for the past few weeks and have not goten in a game, yesterday there was only 1 server up and i think it was the official ,, it was pritty bad, still fun but i think it was the same way on another server i jumped in cant remember.

4. Ermm ok!

Ermm ok! Member

Im getting pretty much the same results on all servers , no latency problem but a bit of rubber banding and "sticky lag" around high combat areas . Had no problems in 1.04. i play mostly on stormed.

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I have noticed it stuttering a lot more.

6. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I know what you mean, the crosshair just suddenly moves. It has happened to me before. Only in 1.05 though.

7. Woody

Woody Member

hmm i havnt really noticed it but cuz i havnt played 1.5 long enough yet...

only time when it was unplayable was on the new map district402 with 32 players, all you could was just run and shoot then die lol, or throw grenades like all the other 32 players was crazy..

8. Chew

Chew Member

Woah yeah its pretty bad in the latest release i think it has alot to do with sound cacheing.

Best way i found to fix it is to buy a jeep and say "take cover" alot

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

If it is related to the sound cache, delete the "soundcache" directory in your /Empires/maps/ directory and see if the FPS improves.

10. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

Normally, I don't notices lag beause it tends to happen when It won't hurt me.. but today I was playing a match in the STORMED server, I think my crosshairs might have jumped once, I don't recall.. but the most notable thing was that I shot an enemy engineer with my scout, and right then everythign paused for a good second or two. I started wondering why my shot didn't kill him, then I thought I lagged out and expected his rifleman buddy to have found and killed me by the time I caught up, but it just snapped out like it happened to everyone and I managed to be able to fight against the rifleman, still lost but I was confused.

11. Jn.

Jn. Member

I think for the most part, the lag is just on district, not on any other maps. For me at least.

12. El Haxor

El Haxor Member

...You distributed the soundcache? :|

13. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yes, the soundcache is supposed to tell the game what sounds need to be precached by the engine instead of having it guess each time it loads a new map. This is supposed to improve loading times according to Valve.

14. El Haxor

El Haxor Member

Yes, it either improves loading times or kills the whole thing.

15. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

some ppl are saying its doing it just on one map/ or one server. sofar , ever server and everymap are doing it for me...

16. steven84

steven84 Member

hi , iam allso expearenceing a choppy/jirky movement in district during heavy activty,perhaps its because so many different sounds are accessed a second or something from this new preloaded thing, i have allso notice a small quality loss in other maps such as lower fps.
    when i first experenced this i thaught i might have some sort of hardware failure because the jirks/pauses was so er hard/unresponsive, after checking windows event viewer i see nothing related to it

Steve

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

Same like someone here said before. I don't notice anything different. Except once in district when 32 people were shooting and nading eachother, with a lot of turrets and smoke nades in the area, it became laggy. At least for a few minutes, afterwards everything was normal again.

But hey, I don't drive vehicles, and I've heard most of the lag comes with vehicles, so I can't say anything about that for sure.

18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Hmmm... Are the nade flying paths calculated by the client or by the server?

19. Chew

Chew Member

That map with HDR on and calculating about 20 grenade explosions, 10 turret LOS's, 10 mortors and god knows what else at once is born to lag.

Defocus your eyes, allow your brain to slip into a state of semi conciousness and just take the pain :p

20. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i tried this but it did not fix the fps stuttering