Jeeps and Military Dictators

Discussion in 'General' started by DonMegel, Nov 6, 2006.

1. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Right.

The thing about punishment is that teamwork wins you the game. Suppose, to use the example that you posted, that a player is ordered to attack an area with the chance that he might die. The player sees an alternate solution and follows through on it. The commander sees the player disobeying his order and stuns him. The player has to face hazards from both the enemy team and his own, which doesn't really make any sense. It also tangibly harms the team by impeding a player who just might be doing something that will win the game.

I remember one game I played in an organized bf42 campaign of Global Conflict. We were losing terribly, and the commanders were shouting to continue our losing tactic. Against the stated orders I saw that I'd be able to capture the enemy's main base. So I did, and we scythed into them from behind, winning the battle. If a form of in-game punishment had existed I would have been stopped from doing so and we would have lost. As you can see punishment is, even from a gameplay standpoint, fairly counterproductive, and creates more problems than it would solve.

2. holylucifer

holylucifer Member

well, make it a bit more unbalanced with the jeep and make it faster at its stock and not have any upgrades for it, or scrap it and make the apc into a utility vehicle, where people can shoot out of apc through windows, inside and shoot out, like a line of open window going from the apcs top side, and make it so the player can see the inside of apc because requires modeling and time and programing, but the user sees a window hud basicly all over his screen with black at top and bottom.

or replace the jeep with a army motor bike.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  3. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Um...what?

4. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

Basicly he wants the apc to have windows and to be a utility vehicle and to scrap the jeep, I think.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would like to see some way of capping the skills of unruly players.

Lets say the douche bag has 2 lvls already... The commander sees that he is not helping the team in the way that he thinks that he should be. The commander could cap that dudes skill right there and then. The player can no longer get more skill points unless he does things for the commander. Doing 2 things for the commander auto uncaps his butt.

To prevent abuse.... only 2 players can be capped at a time and after they uncap they can't be re-capped for 30 mins. Players also auto uncap after 30 mins.

6. Caelo

Caelo Member

I still think capping a players skill is the best thing because no one wants to be capped. Viroman got a pretty solid idea, I guess...

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I really like the flags idea, it seems to provide a worthwhile (but not overpowered) incentive. The downside is that it does make the comm's job even harder. But I don't ever play commander; maybe people who do wouldn't mind it.

No no no no no to magic appearing jeeps. There are vehicle factories for a reason: they make vehicles! This includes jeeps. Maybe the comm can get a discount or something.

Capping skill would be pretty abusable, as would any form of punishment. This is not the only reason why I am against it, however. Punishment is never fun for the punished. And people play games to have fun. Will people really change their ways due to the punishment, or will they just stop playing? Who does the punishment really benefit?

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I like this. A quick but useful way to let passengers fire from the APCs. Please make the firing ports for the NF Heavy Tank useable aswell :p

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

The game is all about teamplaying, right? So people that dont teamplay arent playing the game as it is supposed to and if everyone else does teamplay it hurts the !ingame! community.. Its no fun playing this game if some players are just in it for the CS-style killing!! And my guess is that some teamplayers will stop playing the game because of all those noobs that arent grasping the essence of the game which is all about winning through teamplaying

*and yes having fun too*

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

read the command zone entry on the sugestion thread

(btw, ive only read the 1st page and this one, so i dont know if this has been said)

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yeah, I suppose you're right. But I still think that punishments are too dictatorial. It would only make bad comms worse.

12. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

yea what if you get a comm that tells the rifleman to build the ref and the scout to attack a tank and wont let it up?(y:rolleyes: es Ive had this happen to me)

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

unless the comm is the best person at the game on the team, there are going to be people on your team that know the game better and know tactics better than the comm. so even if he thinks he's doing the right thing, it may not be what the player knows is best.

what's more, who knows what is fun and what isn't? saying that people who play counterstrike shouldn't be able to go off on their own and enjoy themselves is going to be alienating quite a large player base. Once they get better, they too will learn that tight nit teamwork can anihilate anything, but for now- give em some slack.

Sure, yell at em, give em orders, and in time, they will lean to enjoy it. but punishing them? that's a one way ticket for empires to meet the recycle bin.

14. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

As I said before, slowing down gameplay in any way (Punishment from commander) is always a no no...

But instead rewards that speed up the gameplay are more welcome (Buffs from the comm?)

15. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I'm pretty much of the same opinion as FalconX. Also, why change the jeep now if it'll be changed again later. Just leave it untill we can do something tangible instead of gimmicky.

16. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

The flag idea owns imo, pplez don't have to odey but get rewarded if they do, the only players this wouldn't work on are the lonewolf scout players.

17. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Some com Jeeps would not be temporary but perminant. Even if we implament the guns on Jeeps idea the com will still get some vanilla ones to drop since the maps will be so big.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Shouldnt that be more of a mappers decision (Much like the position of the starting barracks) whether to place a starting jeep on the map?

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that's a great idea. but it can't be done.

20. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Since this has been fully discussed now I wanted to show you some of the weps I modeled for the Jeep and that will be in if we can get around to it one day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]