Jeep and Reactive Armour

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ikalx, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I noticed today that jeeps on both teams can only get 1 plate of reactive armour on 3 sides. I was wondering if there was any justification for this, as it seems rather inane.

If there is no reason, might we look into bumping Jeep weight limits so they can have a full plate all round as this will hardly affect anything else :confused:

2. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

If a Mini Cooper can drive with about 50 people in it, then why can't a jeep drive with full plating?

3. Simon

Simon Banned

I was under the impression reactive armor didn't weigh much anyway. Isn't is just explosive with plates on the side to deflect incoming rounds? I guess it is added on top of regular armor though.... But more importantly... reactive is useless ATM.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Reactive weighs 20, I think everything else weighs 15 apart from comp.

This is just a little issue I have with jeeps, aside from the whole reactive debate, it almost seems like a bug to not be able to place full armour (even with a cheap engine). Just want an answer to this before we start talking about what to do with reactive ^^

5. Simon

Simon Banned

I guess it doesn't really matter you could give a jeep 100000 max weight if you wanted wouldn't change much.

6. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I don't agree wholly with everyone that reactive is completely useless. Lvl 3 turrets and grenadiers are reactive armors' bitches. It takes ~ 3-4 MLs, or two RPGs to kill one plate of reactive. (I'm not 100% positive about how effective reactive is against the mowtar)

The one scenario where reactive is godly isn't very common though. Reactive armor owns, and I mean OWNS nukes, no question. A heavy tank with at least 4-5 plates of armor on the front can take two direct nukes to the face and still have some juice to kill that nuke tank with. The only problem with this is that nukes getting used on a classic map is practically unheard of.

7. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I think jeeps should have more weight limit because they don't have guns which you could mount on them so the weight is only reserved for engine and armor.

8. Simon

Simon Banned

Nukes do little damage to tanks. Exception being maybe absorbant because it is so slow?? Not sure if that gets taken into account though. If the enemy goes nuke heavy all you have to do is get bio diesel and you win.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's exactly what I meant ^^

Actually was testing that today aswell. Reflective>reactive vs lvl 3 turrets. Reflective take 3-4 or sometimes even more, and now reactive take 2-3.

10. Simon

Simon Banned

"Name" "Reactive"
    "Description" "Electrically charged armor is internally aligned with charged capacitors. When an incoming projectile makes contact, the capacitor discharges its energy into the projectile, disrupting it or possibly even vaporizing it."
    "Icon" "vehicles/gui/armor/armor_small"
    "HUD Icon" ""
    "Size" "1"
    "Type" "5"
    "Weight" "20" // was 10
    "Cost" "34" // 50
    "Research" "Reactive Armor" //

"Health" "65" // was 40
    "Regeneration" "0" //
    "Angle Modifier" "0.1" //
    "Speed To Damage Modifier" "-0.004" // was "0.001"
    "Damage Modifier" "1" // was 0.3 is now 1
    "Damage To Heat Absorbed" "0.025" //
    "Bioweapon Damage Modifier" "0.6" //

"Sound Impact" ""
    "Sound Repair" ""
    }

Unless I'm missing something there is nothing that makes it exceptional against nukes/mls/rockets. In fact it has a - speed to dmg modifier. Wouldn't that make it more vulnerable to slow moving things like rockets and nukes?

11. Mr. Weedy

It is because of the angle modifier used on reflective armor but did you do point-blank shots to reflective and reactive?

Because I think reflective fails there then but I can't tell. But I have also noticed the powerfulness of reflective against missiles even people some time ago told that reactive is the PR000ZZZ armor against ML turrets and missiles.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

As you say, even if point-blank shots do pwn reflective, the fact that I drove through a maze of 7 level 3's and emerged relatively unscathed (still with plates, albeit in varying states of health), whereas I could not with reactive does seem to say something (I did try straight shots vs reactive but didn't get around to reflective). I really need to try them out vs cannon...

It may be that reactive and reflective have had their roles reversed but their values (cost, weight) unchanged :confused:

[on topic] anyway...don't forget the jeep limit

13. Mr. Weedy

Maybe. Maybe.

DIZZYONE LOOK HERE GIVE US INFORMATION!

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

Reflective raeps if you use it right. :)

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

jeeps should have their base health taken down to that of the APC. it's a little tweak but it will make a difference as it's damn hard trying to kill those tiny targets as a grenadier... and when your RPGs seem to just bounce off them then it really takes the cake (thats bad).

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Eh? I've never had a problem with it...nerf it's health and you'll have no use for jeep whatsoever. Besides, it's pretty quick to unengineer the thing as it is.

17. Mr. Weedy

Also it has only 4 armor plates in total. APCs have 12.

And if APC goes down on 2 RPG rockets when it has plain armor then jeep goes down at 1 RPG rocket for sure. I think mortar can kill them too only at one shell even they had better armor on. At least make the jeep have red hull if not totally kill it.

18. Opie

Opie Member

This is about jeeps isnt it...

Yeh that always did bug me. Only 3 plates, and if u get hit on that side with no plates, instant death, plus who likes reactive?

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

nah even without armour on it takes two RPGs to kill a jeep. <= has been tested

thats why I think it should be brought to the level of the APC.

take in mind that jeeps are smaller (harder target to hit) than APC's and faster (less time frame during which to fire and better luck needed to guess where to aim your shots)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well, you should keep in mind that it's more cost efficient to buy an APC almost everytime rather than a Jeep. Jeeps hardly get used, and mainly only by noobs - how many times have you heard a commander say "I need that res, don't buy jeeps buy an APC if you're going to buy anything!"

If we see a flock of jeeps on servers all the time after release we might need to think about it, until that time, mebbe it's better to hold off.