its 7 am here and im finally done

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by blizzerd, Sep 7, 2010.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

dont expect too much visually from it, it was a map to try out entity's and stuff

thing is i could actually see it as a viable map so here it is

[​IMG]

basically the cv's can spawn at any question mark at gamestart, but never will they both spawn at the same cardinal direction NOR the same grid zone

the black thingies are hills of some sorts, they are there to break up the geometry and to block view and access

the walls (gray lines) separating the grid zones block vehicles and bring up a random pattern (with a system making sure a grid zone cluster is never isolated) each game to make the map unique every time its played with a possible combination of a lot... too tired to do the math

outer ring of bunkers (the gray circles with square in it) are the ref nodes, inner ones are flags that spawn and stuff (was too much resflow otherwise but didnt want to break up the theme)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1415325/zips/emp_checkers.rar

possible outcome of zone separation wall randomisation:
    incidentally, the nf cv spawned north centre and be cv spawned south centre (boring lol)

[​IMG]

now excuse me i have 30 minutes of sleep before im off to a meeting

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Looks nice

3. OMEN

OMEN Member

i love the idea behind this, pure genius !

pseudo-random map generation is what kept Diablo 2 alive for so long, hopefully blizzerd's contribution will keep emp alive for longer.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

once i see this concept works a bit in mp i am going to make an urban map that randomises itself accourding to "blocks of buildings" relocating randomly

5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

hmm yes diablo.. never did pvp much.. i just mainly tried to get as much Magic find as i can and farm items for no apparent reason. i dont remember exactly but i think i got 668% MF on my sorc.. or something

it kinda reminds me of iceworld from cs.. ah yes i remember CSing in a cyber cafe and then getting head shotted by an awp through the wall.

the randomness is a welcoming addition ^-^

6. Empty

Empty Member

Needs landmarks so the player can recognise an area and form a mental map of the map, since the actual map which is displayed can't do that.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i agree, also i need to find a way to map the walls on the minimap dynamically

8. Empty

Empty Member

The only possiblity i see is indicating them with uncaptureable flags (which is hacky andcrap)

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, im messing around with it a bit atm trying to find a way

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

so is this a poc (proof of concept)

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

ye, its more a tech demo tbh, see how it preforms online and its looking quite well

12. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

where does the vmf folder go? I never saw that before.

13. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

..\STEAM\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\materials

someone correct me if that's wrong:rolleyes:

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i just included the vmf (the "valve hammer" editor file) so people can build on the map if they so desire

you can extract it in empires folder or just leave it out, its for those mappers who wonder how it works (i do this because i know otherwise people nag me for the vmf)

15. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thanks, I can contiune uploading it VIPER now

16. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

played the map last night, it wasnt as expected XD.. lotta people were complaining about it, although i dont know what they were complaining about.

i guess its really hard to counter attack the people who are hiding in and on top of the bunker of the ref. the enemy pretty much have open shot at advancing troops and open shot at the base. only way was to flank them, but often our own base would get pwned before we can flank succesfully.

to make it even more fun and unique, is it possible for the tank barriers to change to different locations every 3-5minutes? if not randomly, then 3-5 patterns. this would cause change in troop movement and strategies in an instant. or have doors in the tank barrier wall that opens and closes at different time intervals.

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

great another joke map that will make people think empires sucks on first impression. I was really hoping we would start getting more good maps.. I guess I can still look forward to black mountain which is on its way.

18. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

to bad you can't make the minimap dynamic and have a camera looking down at the map as the image

19. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

hammer cameras don't work in empires :(

20. Empty

Empty Member

Thi sisn't a joke map. Read plox. He plans to turn it into a city block which is randomised each round.