is it just me ...

Discussion in 'General' started by flasche, Sep 9, 2009.

1. zenarion

zenarion Member

Speed upgrade is really useful when fighting tanks in the open.
    Other than that, I'd rather take Ammo upgrade for Gren.

2. {TLP}Sk1nn3r

{TLP}Sk1nn3r Banned

Hello there. My clan is a new clan and so far we have just been learning the game on our server. We have played a couple 5v5's and it seems that a team with 3 engis / 1 scout/ 1 rifleman is the best way to go. If you proportion that to a largely populated server you can see that yes, you need a lot more engineers than anything. But riflemen are essential in the beginning of almost any round due to the fact that he can blow away the enemy that is racing for more territory.

I personally try to play Rifleman more than Engineer but find myself playing Engineer all the time because of the exact reasons why this thread was started. I love playing Rifleman because yes he can take out anybody he wants dead, and can do so with ease, but that is what he was made for. I do admit that I have actually sat at a resource point and E-built my share of refineries just because our teams Engineers were retards but hey, whatever works!

3. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Well welcome to the game, but hey Rifleman is good in all, but unless you can play Grenadier no one here will give you ANY sort of respect. No joking.

4. Demented

Demented Member

What, praytell, do you use the scout for?

5. Empty

Empty Member

If you don't feel like contributing but feel noclip is cheating, that's when you play scout.

6. {TLP}Sk1nn3r

{TLP}Sk1nn3r Banned

Well we played on emp_cyclopean and for that map the scout is very useful due to the fact that he can rush their fort and sap all the sentries. It makes it easier in the long run to not have to deal with level three turrets when we finally mount up for a charge on their base! :)

I actually do a lot of things as a scout. I dont really know how but I can 8/10 times get 1 hit kills with a perfect headshot using either teams sniper rifle. It just takes time to get the perfect shot. The Hide ability is very fun and I feel almost invincible as I crawl around sabotaging all of the enemy teams buildings. It requires the enemy commander to hop out of his CV and start repairing things. That takes his time away from researching and/or dropping barracks or vf's for his team out in the field.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if you kill a guy with one hit (even in the head), you can be sure he was severly hurt already ...

8. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Actually, I think the scout rifle (THERE IS NO SNIPER RIFLE) does something like 67 damage on head shot, so it really isn't "Severe" damage that is needed

9. Demented

Demented Member

It does 50 damage, but drops off to 15 at very long distances.
    For the most part you'll do between 45 and 30 damage, doubled by headshots.

10. flasche

yes i overplayed it ... :D

11. Empty

Empty Member

I stopped reading there, that statement is a lie.
    It is literally impossible to kill a player with a headshot, and here's why.

Here's the facts.
    The scout rifle has huge sway
    The scout rifle does 50 base damage
    The scout rifle falls off to 85% damage at 2500 units (60m)
    By default, in empires sk_player_head is set to 2.

If it does 50 damage and you get a headshot, your damage is doubled.
    This equates to 100 damage, keep in mind the weapon falls off the MOMENT it leaves the barrel, so it's basically impossible to truly do 50 damage. Your bullet will do between 49 to 40 damage in any situation, close up or long range. And you'll end up doing a maximum of 99 damage on a headshot. So there's no way you can kill someone with a headshot unless they have been previously wounded, and even then there's a good likelyhood you'll fail, keep in mind infantry all have a slight resistance to infantry weapons and the rifleman has even more.

So you keep spread eagled taking your shots after a lot of aiming, but I'll still find you and melee you to a pulp. 300 ping or no.

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It is possible his targets aren't at full health...

13. Empty

Empty Member

Yes but it's faster to just be a rifleman and whore the BECAR.

14. {TLP}Sk1nn3r

{TLP}Sk1nn3r Banned

What is the point of a sniper rifle if we cant do one hit kills with it? Come on Empires Team! Lets make scout a more useful class! Either that or just delete it. Lol.

15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Bad thing to say. You have just completely invalidated your opinion on these forums.

16. {TLP}Sk1nn3r

{TLP}Sk1nn3r Banned

Why? The Sniper class of any game should be a very important class. He is the eyes and ears of the commander, the forward sights of the entire army. He can be the reason a team loses or wins. I mean seriously, I sabotage barracks all the time and that = win for my team. If the sniper rifle was buffed then everyone would play it more and it would make it actually fun. I dont really care if I need to take two shots to kill someone, because that is easy. I just think it should be how it actually is realistically speaking.

17. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The scout rifle was once a proper sniper rifle. And it didn't add anything to the game. The scout failed harder than it does now. You are honestly destroying your credibility on these forums by pursuing that the scout rifle should be a proper sniper rifle. No one will take you seriously.

18. flasche

just accept that the scunt rifle will be gone in some future patch (hopefully 2.5)
    additionally there is no sniper class - its called scout. also i think what you call "sniper rifle" is actually called "ranged rifle".
    the next thing is that you really dont need more than one or two scouts max on a full 64 player server.
    scouts only rest on their belly and dont take out tanks (which you cant do shit against anyway)
    aaaaaaaand finally, realism is no concern in empires.
    so if you want to play sniper - go look for another game - you wont get satisfied in empires.

imo this should have been done with the patch that nerfed it, even if you didnt have the shotties finished. why? read what he posted, look at all the failsnipers on the servers.
    or is there another reason than missing shotty models why you kept it in? maybe so i can record demos of scouts for the lulz (i eventually will make a video out of them, some are really funny), thats really nice, but for the sake of the game, you really shouldnt have done that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  19. {TLP}Sk1nn3r

{TLP}Sk1nn3r Banned

I'm not all that much worried about the general populations opinion, as I am not the President of the United States, and therefore, I do no need to drink a beer at a NBA game and pretend I am cool and/or go with the opinion of the masses on a subject that nobody wants to pursue because it MIGHT make them the outcast on a video game. Lol.

If realism wasn't a concern in empires then we wouldn't have real missiles, going on real flight paths, fired from a realistic tank with realistic wheels, that was made in a realistic vehicle factory, that used realistic resources from a realistic refinery, placed on a realistic resource point, by a realistic commander, leading a realistic team, on a realistic map. Everything with its own realistic texture, realistic model, and realistic function. Empires seems based on a realistic future of our realistic world. So all in all these virtualities could easily become realistically realistic.

Scout/Sniper = Same damn fricken thing. What do you think a ranged rifle is called? A sniper rifle. Why? Snipers use ranged rifles. >.>

And I am usually all over the place on a scout. No, I cant take out tanks, but that is NOT my job. My job is to sabotage the enemies structures and be as much of a pest as possible. It helps my team to win, even at a small percentage, the scout/sniper still matters.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

All these things you're saying have been said hundreds of times already. This is a game made around fun more then realism. You need to just search for the words scout or sniper and read all the threads about why removing it is for the better.

This is a much different game than CS or COD. If you want to lay around and snipe people all day be a rifleman or play BF2 or something.