IRS (Infantry Research Station)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metal Smith, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Infantry Research Station

Basically a new building that will allow simultaneous research of infantry ups along side the radar for tanks and such.

Basically, I find it hard to believe that any commander would favor a tree with infantry upgrades as opposed to, lets say, Armor and weapons for tanks. To make infantry ups at all appealing, I believe it would be most effective to make a new research building for them.

Some upgrades:

General weapons upgrades like: bullet tips for armor or infantry; Weapons (for example, make it so that scouts can upgrade from their .22 scout rifle to a .45 or .50 sniper rifle) or research weapons like heavy machine guns.

Grenades/mines upgrades: Increase in mine/grenade damage; Different types of mines; Ammo packs for increased ammunition to carry for all troops.

Gear Upgrades: Increased power binoculars; Spy gadgets (maybe a tap to place inside the radar to detect what upgrades the enemy has); Cammo Suites (like, make winter cammo, grass cammo, and desert cammo researchable).

That's basically all I came up with for now. This is all pretty general, and maybe has been suggested before, but I didn't see it when I skimmed through.

The reason i suggest having these researched in a separate building was 2 fold:

1) IRS is an awesome name ^_^
    2) Between getting HE cannons and getting better bullets for your infantry, which would you chose?

and lastly, I would like to close with a question:

what caliber did you make that scout rifle based off of? :P I just put .22 as compared to .45, well, you know why.

2. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

imo .308 to .50 for scout upgrade

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

When planes roll around, we can have 3 distinct trees that you can go down: Armor, Infantry or Air. To do this, each one would have to have strengths and weakness when fighting each of the classes.

Kind of like playing World in Conflict. Minus the support class.

4. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

Metal Smith, Great ideas, except for the Sniper rifle one, increasing the effectiveness of the sniper rifle will make Empires more counterstrike-like and lower the quality of the game.

5. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Great. Now the thread will be flooded with sniper-rifle extremists.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I don't mind the lack of a better sniper weapon, because if it were supposed to be a sniper, it would be called sniper, not scout.

The only thing that I find missing from the scout class is the ability to send more Recon info to the team. Having scouts act like a combination of camera and satalite dish thingy would be one way to work with that.

The other would be to allow it to be more like a spy kinda role, where they can, instead of sabbotaging the radar, rather they would plant bugs in it to report enemy techs. This would give a huge advantage to anyone who could manage it, allowing to you foresee a tank rush by what techs hey are upping or how to counter their armor.

The idea of a more powerful rifle wasn't a big thing, but at times it does feel like shooting a .22 with a scope :P

K, I just got back on empires today, love how you fixed the issues with the skins and such since I last played.

I did notice that on my video settings, I was only able to see infantry so far. with binocs and scope, you can see a little further, so maybe an upgradeable scope, but no change to the rifle?

:P I won't push to hard though.

kk, one last edit:

Through history, Infantry was always countered by armored units. Armored units were vulnerable to air units. Air units get their butts kicked by shoulder mounted SAMs. That's what I think will end up happening with air units. They'll have powerful missiles, but all focused armor piercing, nothing that can really nail things like an artillery tank. Napalm would still be cool though ^_^

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

It won't be that simple. Some infantry are kinda effective against tanks, others arn't. working together in a group, you'll be able to counter anything the enemy has.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Infantry research is already added in 2.1.

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I saw that bit about grenadiers having researchable ups.

But did not know if you already had infantry research trees planned out, or methods of making the research separate, etc.

Anyways, Thank you for the response solo ^_^

10. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Member

.50 is such old news.

25 mm sniper rounds are all the rage nowdays ;)

[​IMG]

Seriously, what is cooler than a sniper that fires grenade caliber?

11. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

A dead sniper! :D

12. Vaun

Vaun Member

Thats the payload rifle based on the barret .50 cal m82 sniper rifle, which uses anti armor rounds.

Anyway, u could do something like go from the basic, to .50 cal, to incindiary/armor piercing etc, and finally rail gun to blow away jeeps tryin to rush ur cv. Just my thoughts.

13. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

this is actually a really good idea.

maybe instead of putting a whole seperate building from radar, make it so theres an addon you can build in a specific part of the radar (think starcraft) then when you want to use infantry upgrades you click on the addon building instead of the radar.