Irritating bug concerning key config

Discussion in 'Support' started by Revolver, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revolver

Revolver Member

I was playing yesterday and out of the blue, my keys 1-2-3-4 which I used to select weapons (game default) are suddenly unbound. I hit them, nothing happens. For the rest of the game, I'm using my mouse-wheel to cycle through and select weapons.

So, I died, ran back to base, and opened up my options and rebound them. Worked okay until once again, I died. And once I respawned, they were all unbound again. So I disconnect from the server, close the game, reboot.

Open the game up, bind everything again, go out, get shot by a scout, die, and... unbound again. Not changing classes. Done nothing strange that I don't normally do.

Any ideas what's causing this, and/or how to fix it?

2. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

evil admins running execclient? :P

3. Revolver

Revolver Member

No, I don't think so. Because that would unbind EVERYTHING. It wouldn't target simply my weapon select keys.

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

You have to change your key config by manually editing infantry.cfg, vehicle.cfg, and commander.cfg in your /cfg directory. It's been that way since 1.0 and still needs to be fixed.

5. Revolver

Revolver Member

Alrightie. Though, it's strange that it would happen just in the middle of crossroads, wouldn't it? Hasn't happend to me ever before now, and I've been playing since 1.0

Though I think I might be misunderstanding what you're saying. Either way, I'll fix my infantry.cfg

6. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

Gunnery Seargent Hartman Member

I know this problem pretty well.
    Happens to me often when I am Commander.
    ... I usually realize it when I try to get out of com-seat into the drivers-seat ... doesn't work .. but did few minutes ago.

execing the appropriate config fixes it.

If you're Rifleman while it happens you could try
    exec rifleman.cfg
    or
    exec infantry.cfg

When commanding exec commander.cfg works fine.

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I was trying to work around HL2's limitation of only letting you bind one command to a key when I wanted to have a different command based on when you're on foot, in a vehicle, or the commander. If you bind your keys while not in a game, it will properly bind them for your on foot config, but if you're in game, then any changes are going to get overwritten by the config it had when the game started.

8. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

I have this bug too. I know the functions of the different cfgs. I dont know why this bug sometimes occure. But I know if this bug occures, it will take place very often in the same game. This is quite anoying, cause every time you leave a vehicle you have to exec the config.cfg by console again. Exiting the game and deleting the new config_backup.cfg leads to the effect, that the bug will vanish for longer time (maybe until you will press the "bad" keycombination again..).

9. Revolver

Revolver Member

Now, I'm playing with my config_default.cfg and I'm looking at the commands. Everything is normal. What looks like is happening is that it's not executing config_default.cfg when I respawn. I was playing earlier before I fiddled around with it, and I remembered was Haschte told me, so once I spawned I checked- sure enough, 1-4 didn't pull up my weapons still, and I put exec config_default.cfg into console. And it worked- but it changed my name to Emp_Recruit. I tested two of the other config_X files that were there, and none of them brought it back.

I think I may need a reinstall.

10. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Did you remove the commands there were initially present in the infantry, vehicle, and commander.cfg files? Those commands are required to get your configs working right.

11. Revolver

Revolver Member

Nope, never did. It just happend randomly in game on isle. I altered the cfgs like you said, Krenzo, and now it works just fine. Afterwards, I went into options to try and bind a key for spray logo, and it did the old problem. Fixed it in config.cfg. I don't know why the whole thing happend initially, but at least now it's fixed.

Thanks for your help, Krenzo.

12. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

I can fix the problem with the mentioned method. But it is still possible that the bug will occure again. Maybe i will find a reason why this bug take place by it´s next upcom. But i guess the probabilty for that is not very high.
    And no, I didnt modify the infantry.cfg.
    The single command in there is this one:
    emp_infantry_binds

13. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

I had something similar to this a while ago.

I think it was 1.04 and I had added a Crouch Toggel bind to my Scout cfg, it never worked and I know it would of worked if inputted because I took it striaght from my CS:S cfg. I hopped out of an APC, and it suddenly worked. I died, and never worked again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.