Introduce entropy to research.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Jun 5, 2013.

1. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Currently the most stagnant aspect of the game is grenadiers, but next is game progression (Every game everyone researches the same damn thing every time because stats are set in stone, although they may disagree on what the best is they will still always just research the best) my suggestion is to introduces variation on research. At the beginning of each round every technologies stats are filled in by computer magick, and when the commander researches they will have to look at these stats and make decisions based on what is good this round, instead of what is good this update.

Adding this change would shift over/underpowered tech to a per round basis instead of a per update basis, allowing commanders to get a sense of discovery every round and making strategies less stagnant.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would rather see under used tech slowly gain stats each round its not used and over used tech slowly loose stats each round its used. Things will balance themselves out this way.

This implies that the commander can see the +/- bonuses.

3. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

My point isn't for balance, it's to reduce stagnation. Plus people who prefer to use/hate using certain tech are either going to throw your system out of whack or get all pissy when they're forced to use whatever tech.

4. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

People probably research the same thing, because at the moment:
    Fission is bugged if it overheats. (?)
    Coolant doesn't really work for tank combat.
    Bio Engine is too slow.
    Gas Turbine is decent.
    3phase is fast and reduces heat good.

Would be nice if some engines could be buffed a bit in heat and speed, because I currently feel like they are more or less useless to research atm.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

fix penis reactor, how hard can it be to just roll it back to how it was when it was OP as took?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if i could change empires id make research individual. id actually scrap the whole comm-role and distribute it among players, though thats another topic.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

For this to work, first you'd have to allow comms to see the whole tree, instead of not being able to see something until it's unlocked.

Then, you'd have to make sure that every stat that is affected can be seen and known by the commander so they don't accidentally research shit.

Next, you'd have to increase the fuck out of the comm time and allow all of this to be seen during that time. I sure as hell wouldn't want to comm if I had to spend a minimum of five minutes before researching to know I wasn't getting shit.

Finally, you'd have to explain to every new player why what was OP as fuck last round is shit now, and further complicate teaching new players how to play and how to comm. If I'm a new player and I see something that's really effective one or two rounds, then I sure as hell am going to annoy the fuck out of my comm until he gets it for us.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

But how is that entropy? I see entropy more like every round that passes the weapons start to suck even more, and at the infinite round, the weapons are at infinite suck and the universe collapses on itself.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It would be cool if you did this as a sort of reinforcement concept. Where at the start of the round (or on build of the radar) you could have a small bar graph attached to maybe the research screen saying what resources you have more of. Like you might have more electricity or more scientists at hand, or more explosive experts something like that, but the end result would be a graph of perhaps 3 things, saying like chemistry is higher (e.g 10% buff), physics is lower (10% nerf), electrical is a tiny bit higher and the rest are default.

Not sure if that's clear or not. Whether you can actually put research on a variable scale, however, is debatable.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what candles said

11. ViroMan

I can agree with these. Increasing com time substantially is not needed. With all the stats available and a colored indication of green for improved and red for nerfed and seeing default stats side by side with the altered change; One should be able to quickly determine a research plan. A small time increase should suffice.

I can see your last point happening too. A 10 second explanation should quell them, if not...

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

How about no.

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, I don't know what he was thinking.

Empires is a skill machine. You put your penis in, and it spits out measurements.

Over the years, players have become so relent on the consistency of these measurements, that they will understandably be reluctant to introduce intentional variance in the measurements.

They will make weird excuses, but that's what it comes down to.

14. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

So your wierd excuse for trying to keep the epenis measuring device intact is that others will whine if you don't?

15. ImSpartacus

Well yeah. If a bunch of people want blueberry pie, you don't serve them strawberry pie and tell them that their personal tastes are wrong.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

But it would make an excellent story.

17. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yes you do, if those people are 3 year olds with a blueberry allergy. Which is what active Empires players are.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Such a perfect analogy.

19. ViroMan

I duno why, you adjust things each patch anyways this just makes the adjustments occur more often to keep up with trends. Regardless if not stat boosts how about research time adjustments?

20. ImSpartacus

It's about control. Trickster thinks he has the research tree under control. Every match uses his perfect little tree. It's consistent.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013